Parody in Drum Corps?

Parody in Drum Corps?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible for parody to exist one day in drum corps?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends/not sure
  2. 2. Would Parody be beneficial to DCI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/not sure
    • Other

There will never be parity in DCI. There are about four people who control that fact and they're not about to give it up.

Parity will only result from a new organization or circuit. And I'm not sure that the lower corps would survive if the top 6 weren't around to draw in the audiences. Then again, if everybody but the top 6 bolted for their own circuit and actually performed entertaining shows (defined as stuff that you can hum to, you recognize music from, and that wasn't specifically written for the drill it goes with) from top to bottom, they just might draw away some of the fan base, money, and support that the top 6 now have.

Geez, don't take any of this as a bash against your corps, OK? I'm a top 6 guy, too. It's just a reality.

BTW, lots of good happening at Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, and Glassmen. Might make for interesting argument to see some corps break free and do their own thing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lower placing corps want to win they should work at it and build up to it like the current top corps have. The Bluecoats are doing a nice job of that right now.

They should create their own parity. Artificially enforcing parity will just result in a lower quality show from the top corps, which would cause me to stop going to shows a lot quicker than some electronic instruments would.

Even in the NFL, there are still powerhouses. Look at the Patriots of this decade. Look at the Steelers of the 70s, the Cowboys of the mid 90s. The MLB has powerhouses too. The Yankees are like the Blue Devils of MLB.

Yes there have been dynasties in the NFL. But they've lasted a few years, not a few decades. The Yankees have been able to average 1 championship every 4 years because they exploited the large market from which they draw fans, and the system in MLB that allows them to spend as much money as they want on player salaries.

If the lower placing corps want to win they should work at it and build up to it like the current top corps have. The Bluecoats are doing a nice job of that right now.

They should create their own parity. Artificially enforcing parity will just result in a lower quality show from the top corps, which would cause me to stop going to shows a lot quicker than some electronic instruments would.

You make it sound like it's so simple for the lower tiered corps to do that. Of COURSE they're working at it! They don't want to be in 16th place every year! But it's not that easy to break through the brass ceiling. The Bluecoats are getting close to busting through it, but even though they finished 4th last year, does anyone actually think they have a snowball's chance to move up 3 little spots to win this year?

I think some sort of "salary cap" on instructors/designers would help. A draft of talent wouldn't be a good idea, there's just no way to have a "DCI draft combine" where every auditionee meets somewhere to try out. Plus, kids should march where they want to march. But, DCI could do a much better job of MARKETING the lower tiered corps to band kids, and give them REASONS to want to march in these other corps, and not just chase a ring.

DCI could do a much better job of MARKETING the lower tiered corps to band kids, and give them REASONS to want to march in these other corps, and not just chase a ring.

We have a winner

Parity in DCI is a goal that needs to be reached. For those of you who believe that DCI must be controlled by a small number of corps in order to get super performances, I think you lack the dream of a finals where you see 20 super shows.

DCI has been working towards parity in some changes, such as letting corps leave and not doing long, tedious retreats. I think there's one more step to take, and it's a very simple one. It will take lots of effort, but that's what drum corps is. Here's my plan:

Every corps has a camp for auditions, and collects a fee. Each one of those fees should have $5 tacked on, make it or not. This fee is collected and sent to DCI to pay for a clearing house. That's PLENTY of money to get one person to do the following for every auditionee --

1 - Each person has their information collected, including name, contact info, age, instrument auditioning on, and some other things such as willingness to join another corps, etc.

2 - Every auditionee is provided with a list of corps, and a web page that has all of the contact information for every corps that is fielding. On the page, each corps has listed its tour, tour fee total, and the option of the corps to list openings. Corps MUST list when they are full.

3 - Every corps is provided with a list of names, sorted by state, whatever, of all cuts and alternates. Corps can "protect" or "claim" exactly 150 kids. All of the info that was provided by the kids will dictate whether they can be contacted by a corps staff. If they want contact, maybe within a 250 mile area, corps within that region can contact those kids that requested contact.

4 - All auditionees must be offered a membership contract, or cut, by 3 paying camps or February 15th, whichever is sooner.

If you can't make a combine, you can at least make a clearing house.

Yes there have been dynasties in the NFL. But they've lasted a few years, not a few decades. The Yankees have been able to average 1 championship every 4 years because they exploited the large market from which they draw fans, and the system in MLB that allows them to spend as much money as they want on player salaries...

There will always be dynasties in any competitive arena. I think it's pretty inevitable. Like I said earlier, unless almost everyone is predicting the winner every year, or we are predicting the correct placements 5 months before the season starts, I think DCI should stay how it is. I don't know where the Cavaliers will place, or Phantom Regiment, or the Cadets. The battle for the top 3 spots is just as interesting as the battle for the middle 3, or for the final few spots for Finals.

The rich history of these corps is what makes drum corps, IMO. It wouldn't be the same if a new corps was winning every year, and there was never some kind of dynasty at any point.

I can't see any kind of draft working, what would you do if you lived on the east coast and were drafted by Devils? Would it be the responsibility of the corps to fund your excessive travel obligations to make camps?

1990 Phantom Regiment--Carnival of the Animals....all corps were parodied musically. At least, that was my take on it.

Elmo Blatch

I remember that. It was kind of cool picking out the little phrases of other corps music.

as long as the members have to pay then they have the right to choose where they march. the only way parity could ever come into being is if DCI percomes a professional performing organization like the NFL or MLB where members are drafted, signed to a multi year contract and given a salary to march. also all travel expenses would need to be covered by the corps that drafts the members. Once this occurs then a salary cap can be put into place so that no corps has a monetary competitive advantage over any other corps. However, since these groups are all non-profit I don't see any of this ever becoming reality.

The Yankees are like the Blue Devils of MLB.

Nah, I hate the Yankees are more like The Cadets, with the most vocal leader/owner.

Go Red Sox!!! :laugh: