Parody in Drum Corps?

Parody in Drum Corps?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible for parody to exist one day in drum corps?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends/not sure
  2. 2. Would Parody be beneficial to DCI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/not sure
    • Other

Well; this isn't actually true. Most sports teams have a style of play that is unique to them. For instance; Indianapolis Colts would be considered to be, say an offensive juggernaut while say, the Chicago Bears might be considered to be a defensive team.... particular identities yes, they definitely are.
Those identities aren't nearly as strong, or anywhere close to as deep-rooted as the identities of DCI corps.
Second; marching a corps you didn't "like" probably wouldn't be a possibility because parity would exist; aka all corps would be marching fairly close to the same level of drill.
I don't like the type of shows Phantom Regiment and the Cavaliers put out and I doubt they would change. Therefore, it's a very real possibility that I would be marching a corps I didn't like. Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the corps could pay the best members millions of dollars and then work their way down from there. :ph34r:

Even in the NFL, there are still powerhouses. Look at the Patriots of this decade. Look at the Steelers of the 70s, the Cowboys of the mid 90s. The MLB has powerhouses too. The Yankees are like the Blue Devils of MLB.

I like drum corps the way it is. We don't accurately predict every single place every single season. Until then, leave it be.

I love parody... it makes me laugh. Perhaps the Blue Knights could mimic Vanguard's style. Maybe Glassmen could do some PDQ Bach!

Parity would be ok, but I'd prefer parody.

I've always thought that VK should wear a red & yellow version of Phantom's uni and do a PQD Bach show.

Ummmm Your poll isn't very clear. I already see plenty of parity in marching technique, show design, talent levels etc etc. Parity in winning, I'll assume, is the intent of the question. I doubt we'll ever see the day when 9 corps score over a 96. Reason? Because the judges would be handing out the same numbers to most of the corps in competition and that's just NOT how things work.

I'm talking about parity in competition. Not necessarily in score, but will we ever see the day when any corps can win in any season?

Be careful what you wish for. You need to define the term parity.

Do you really want parity in the style of professional sports leagues where the best teams are given handicaps that tend to bring them back to the mediocre middle?

(And yes, parodies are possible. So are satires, spoofs, send-ups and lampoons.)

Be careful what you wish for. You need to define the term parity.

Do you really want parity in the style of professional sports leagues where the best teams are given handicaps that tend to bring them back to the mediocre middle?

(And yes, parodies are possible. So are satires, spoofs, send-ups and lampoons.)

I'm not saying that I want parity...personally I haven't been convinced one way or another where I would like it. Parity in drum corps to me would be when any corps could place anywhere in any given season. The Cadets might win one year and then finish 8th, while the Blueknights finished 10th and then broke into the top 3 the next year. I'm not saying I would like that, but I want to know if you think it will ever happen in DCI.

While more parity in DCI would create more excitement in the competition, I believe it would cause the actual shows to suffer. If we could have, say 10 corps that were all equally good... and all as good as the Cavaliers last year... that of course would be great. But if all the corps had equal talent level, the top corps talent level would have to drop off at least a little. I would rather have a few really, really great shows every year than several decent ones. See, drum corps differs from professional sports in that we don't actually have to have competition to make it exciting... but it does help. :)

Considering there are only a little over 20 div. 1 corps, I think the way the talent levels are spread out now is pretty good. Now if we could have like 50 div. 1 corps with the same talent spreads from best to worst, then there would be much more parity at the top. Get what I'm saying? This is what would be best for the activity... more members, more corps.