Parody in Drum Corps?

Parody in Drum Corps?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible for parody to exist one day in drum corps?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends/not sure
  2. 2. Would Parody be beneficial to DCI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/not sure
    • Other

I was just thinking this morning how in practically all major sports today, leagues are trying to create "parity" so that every year, a different team has a chance of winning the title. In the NFL, my favorite team (the Packers) made the playoffs for a while consecutively, then wound up finishing 4-12. This year we were back to 8-8. Also, the loser of the super bowl has gone on to miss the playoffs the next year (with the exception of the Seahawks) for a long time now.

Obviously, this is not the case in DCI. The top 6 are pretty much the same year in and year out and it takes a long time for a corps to get to that level. We've had the same champion 5 out of the last 7 years and they've finished 2nd the other two times.

I really have no ideas on how parity could ever be created in drum corps, so really I'm just looking for your thoughts. But could there come a day when any given corps can win in any given year? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Also, would you LIKE it if there came a day when any corps could win in any given year? Do you think it would be beneficial to the activity if parity existed? Or would it completely ruin the activity?

Your thoughts.

EDIT: Because I'm stupid and I spelled "parity" as "parody" :ph34r:

Edited by marimbaman89

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love parody... it makes me laugh. Perhaps the Blue Knights could mimic Vanguard's style. Maybe Glassmen could do some PDQ Bach!

Parity would be ok, but I'd prefer parody.

Edited by sdstar

Yeah. Parity, not parody.

The only way that could really be accomplished would be a DCI-wide draft, and I think that's a bad idea. Corps have unique identities from a performance standpoint, which is something that most professional sports teams do not have. From a personal perspective, I'd hate to be drafted by a corps I did not like, and probably wouldn't march if that were the case.

Do you mean Parity? Parody had existed, think VK, Bridgemen even the Cadets in "86 did some.

Parity used to be more common. Pretty much everyone was sponsored by some local church or vfw, no one had money, no one had people travel to audition etc. The big budget operations are a prtty new thing in corps.

Oops...sorry about the spelling! :ph34r:

I'll go and fix it but I can't fix it in the thread title... another :ph34r:

The only way that could really be accomplished would be a DCI-wide draft, and I think that's a bad idea. Corps have unique identities from a performance standpoint, which is something that most professional sports teams do not have. From a personal perspective, I'd hate to be drafted by a corps I did not like, and probably wouldn't march if that were the case.

Well; this isn't actually true. Most sports teams have a style of play that is unique to them. For instance; Indianapolis Colts would be considered to be, say an offensive juggernaut while say, the Chicago Bears might be considered to be a defensive team.... particular identities yes, they definitely are.

Second; marching a corps you didn't "like" probably wouldn't be a possibility because parity would exist; aka all corps would be marching fairly close to the same level of drill.

I for one actually think that this is one of the two biggest issues facing DCI today (despite the incorrect spelling). However, a draft probably won't work. I beleive that something like capping audition numbers (aka, only 300 can audition on a first come first serve basis), total parity in appearance fees, or something else might work (emphasis might).

It's somewhat of a vicious cycle and it drives home the "success breeds success" metaphor. Essentially the top corps were originally successful, and maintain that success by being originally successful. The changes in DCI happen in periods of years and decades, not over months. Star was the only exception to this rule in recent memory. The top corps under the current system almost always have been, and almost always will be the top corps (one or two down years does not consitute not being "a top corps").

I beleive that something like capping audition numbers (aka, only 300 can audition on a first come first serve basis), total parity in appearance fees, or something else might work (emphasis might).

In this case, what would happen to veterans of the corps? Would they be given priority to re-audition or would they automatically be allowed to stay in the corps?

I would say that veterans are given priority. Say until the end of September or whatever to declare formally their intention to return and after that their spot is forfeit. Many organizations operate in this fashion; vets have a certain amount of time to declare their loyalty etc to an organization and then after that their assets/spot/whatever is opened up to the general public.

After that period of time the corps can audition say 300 people for the remaining spots or a figure like 3 people for every remaining spot. The system is fairly complex but it would limit corps from having relatively "massive audition camps". Hopefully it would help to create some form of parity.