I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

It is either drum corps, or it is not drum corps! BOA will likely be around long after drum corps is a memory. Let it be that, rather than an activity that lost all identity trying to accomodate twenty different appetites, and turned out to have no identity or remaining history when all was said and done..

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is either drum corps, or it is not drum corps! BOA will likely be around long after drum corps is a memory. Let it be that, rather than an activity that lost all identity trying to accomodate twenty different appetites, and turned out to have no identity or remaining history when all was said and done..

Well that's an awfully defeatist attitude.

I'm a little late to the party (research paper last night), so sorry if this has already been said or discussed ad nausem. My opinion is that amps, electronics, narration, et all could most certainly work... if they're used right, as in adding, not detracting to the show. That may sound obvious, but I look at Cadets last year, and I see a show where it looks to me like Hoppy was saying, "Oh, we can have props, and a singer, and narration, and a bunny... oh, and you guys take care of the hornline, drums and guard. If we need them."

The times that I looked at 06 Cadets and forced myself to watch the actual drum corps, it was incredible. But so much of the show was designed for you to watch the frivolous stuff, that I just cannot watch that show.

Well, I haven't bothered to read all 9 pages of this debate but I'll weigh in with my opinion, which is backed by absolutely no fact, just my own personal conjecture.

1.) Drum Corps actually seems like a microcosm of the real world right now. Everytime we add an additional layer of complexity we limit who can start up another DBC. Additionally, adding new intrumentation means that there will continue to be a growing performance gap between top and bottom. While some may argue that this doesn't matter or won't happen it's fairly hard to see how adding new instruments to DBC won't increase the costs of doing business. These costs are limiting for the activity because new corps won't be able to start up (can't compete) and old corps, especially those already in a precarious situation will have a hard time with the new requirements. I believe that we are at a relatively precarious point in the activities history. The Costs of running a DBC are skyrocketing. Especially fuel, insurance, instrumentation etc. I don't think anyone can remember the last time that we had a year where all top corps hit the field in sound financial terms. Perhaps instead of seek to continuously change and grow we should focus on consolidation and excellence for a few years. Allow corps to grow into themselves, put DCI money into the stability of the activity and just ensure that there is, in fact, a tommorow. We don't need to change rapidly to be relevant. We do need to be able to hit the field every year to have an activity.

2.) Tradition: I think that tradition can't be extreme, but one must honour the roots of an activity. I have some problem with the amping of a pit, but I understand it's necessity. I understand that there have been changes over the course of Drum and Bugle Corps history. However, I'd like to see the activity remain Drums and Bugles. Why? Well, mainly because I think it sounds cool. Maybe we are limiting artistic creativity. Or conversely, perhaps were forcing show designers and performers to be more creative. I say this because it's easy to be creative in a vast medium with tons of tones, instruments and colours. I think it's actually harder to come up with a brilliant show in this environment. Is this good or bad? I'm not entirely sure. Personally, I'm more impressed when I see something wicked happen in a limited medium than I am by a show or art form which has access to all the resources they want.

3.) Uniqueness: I think it's important for Drum and Bugle Corps to keep some aspects of the activity unique. I don't believe in standardization (ex. becoming more like a marching band). I think most marching members don't want to add electronic instruments, woodwinds, or whatever. In fact, most of the people Iknow who marched/are marching enjoy the activity as it is. It's cool when you hear a unique ensemble sounds; it catches your attention. This is an important aspect of the activity and perhaps should remain as such.

Anyway, I beleive that it's important to allow the activity, fans, and participants time to adapt to rule changes. Making major additions every year is not required, nor is it even good business.

i dont think more instrumentation = more ability to be artistic, simply. i prefer the "acoustic" sound of drum corps because its what's most appealing to my ears and brain.

Great post Shawn, but a couple of things...

So is the narration not a part of the music and texture of that particular piece? Is narration itself not, in a way, music?

Thanks

Although a subtle difference there is one. In vocal music the music brings the words to life. The music adds a demention to the words. For what ever reason the reverse doesn't work for me. I don't think spoken words add anything to the music. For example the famous Simon and Garfunkel's (i think that's the correct group) singing of Silent Night to a horrific news cast. The music makes the peice poignant. I could hear silent night in that or any other form. But I wouldn't care about hearing that news cast over and over without the music. I guess it could depend on exactly what is spoken; is the narration telling me what to get out of the music or is it poetry layered on the music? But mostly I like music. (Ever since a bad experience with a HS English teacher and poetry I've always had difficulty getting into poetry and appreciating it. I guess that's my loss.)

I think this has more to do with some of the ignorance of symphony orchestra patrons in general. It's a bit sad, but those are the times I guess. Granted electronics and the like have generally had more success in chamber ensembles. One thing though, do you not consider a solo singer and a solo narrator one in the same?

I think another point I'd like to make is I an enjoy either type of music. But an orchestra has a season of concerts so not everything has to be either or. They can offer a variety of things over time. In drum corps I'm afraid everyone will feel the need to use it to compete and that some will over do it in a way that takes away from the brass and percussion.

I haven't seen any BOA bands for awhile, but the bands I've seen use electronics have done so more in a negative way as a crutch, not in a really creative way. In one situation the band really didn't play that much. So my prior experience is different than others and has made me leary of how well it will be used.

Then it's a good thing that Indiana stadium has a retractable dome B)

Eh, I'm more in favor of the "spirit of drum corps" rather than a fast-hardened conservative rule of drum corps, so to speak.

Others have said this before.

BUT

What is the spirit of drum corps? Is it ONLY a national tour? Are Div II/III corps that don't do a national tour not legitamate drum corps? How about weekend DCA corps? Many bands play as well or better than some corps so it's not just quality unless you think only the top 12 corps are real corps. What about European and other corps traditions and styles around the world? I think the more common element is the power and emotion of an all brass and percussion music ensemble. But perhaps that's just where those of us with differing opinions will never completly agree on.

Edited by shawn craig

Thanks

Although a subtle difference there is one. In vocal music the music brings the words to life. The music adds a demention to the words. For what ever reason the reverse doesn't work for me. I don't think spoken words add anything to the music. For example the famous Simon and Garfunkel's (i think that's the correct group) singing of Silent Night to a horrific news cast. The music makes the peice poignant. I could hear silent night in that or any other form. But I wouldn't care about hearing that news cast over and over without the music. I guess it could depend on exactly what is spoken; is the narration telling me what to get out of the music or is it poetry layered on the music? But mostly I like music. (Ever since a bad experience with a HS English teacher and poetry I've always had difficulty getting into poetry and appreciating it. I guess that's my loss.)

thats a really good point.....one other thing that narration doesnt really have that music does, is re-listenability. not sure if thats a word, or maybe it is and that hyphen was unnecessary, but yeah....after the first "ill make him an offer he cant refuse" (which i didnt really like the first time, but thats not my point), i wasnt ever really interested in hearing it again, and surely never will be.

thats a really good point.....one other thing that narration doesnt really have that music does, is re-listenability. not sure if thats a word, or maybe it is and that hyphen was unnecessary, but yeah....after the first "ill make him an offer he cant refuse" (which i didnt really like the first time, but thats not my point), i wasnt ever really interested in hearing it again, and surely never will be.

Drum corps have yet to do that great of a job with narration (aside from Cadets and BD 05). It doesn't really seem fair to use shoddy performances as examples and go, "Yeah well remember _____, that didn't work so obviously it should never be attempted again". I hear plenty of "re-listenability" in narration, all that comes down to is personal taste.

Next stop, The Zone...

I'm cool with woodwinds.

I liked you til that.

<**>