I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

On a side note, last night 4 Hispanics ( a Columbian, 2 Mexicans and a Puerto Rican) were raiding my Ipod and came across my drum corps clips – they loved it and wanted copies. They love the volume and the horns –has DCI tried to market itself to the Hispanics community, one of the fastest growing, most brand-loyal demographic in the US? Have they exhausted their marketing options before changing the medium and rules? No, not really, never seen a corps play at half time during a soccer show, which has their season during the summer. Never seen a DCI flyer, ad in Spanish. Instead, they rather get muddled in a conflict of interest and use drum corps to make money with their band programs. No love, respect or maintaining integrity for the game there, just cashing a band buck – Maybe they should incorporate some WWF Smackdown into the shows then, have corps fight each other on the field after the show, WWF has great tickets sales. I can justify several changes to drum corps under the guise of chasing a buck but do I really want to? is that what Drum Corp is about, pandering to perceived markets at any cost? If so, drum corp has already failed

I dunno about that...some drum corps have a ton of Hispanics bro.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DRUM & BUGLE Corps should do all they can to differentiate themselves from Marching Bands rather than trying to emmulate them. What made drum corp what it once was was the fact that there were distinct differences beetween corps & band...and band was kinda like the minor leagues & corps were a few levels above band. Who ever thought that after many bands copied corps, that many corps would then copy band? The real difference though is that up until the mid 1980's, most drum corp instructors either marched in the corps they instructed or another corps...then the influx of band instructors in drum corps began to influence the drum corps acstivity...amps, jester costume uniforms...yuk...

There isn't a corps today that could compete & survive in the tick judging system compared to 1975 Madison, 1976 Blue Devils, 1980 27th...and those shows were as entertaining as you can get...and yes, they contained melody, company fronts, park & blow "concert" productions, and they contained music that was recognizable & memorable.

As for attendance, the real comparison should be what was the TOTAL annual attendance at all drum corps shows in any given year in the mid to late 1970's compared with 2006? It's not even close...I'll bet it was at least 4 times as many in the '70's.

Todays corps bore me to death. I will go to a local show in the Chicago suburbs to see what Madison is doing this year...but I may not stay for the rest of the show. here is hoping that the current trend & craze with all things that are vintage from the '70's will also effect drum corps.

Oh, there was a finals list posted somewhere...if you want it find it.

However, overall show attendance is far more important than any single show, even finals.

Translation - finals attendance is down, and he doesn't want to talk about that.

Overall attendance is also down, but that is easier for him to argue....

However, overall show attendance is far more important than any single show, even finals.

do you mean "overall shows attendance"

You need to qualify your terms, definitions and means used to gauge show attendance comparison and provide proof . Without valid evidence, it’s merely opinion boarding upon hyperbole. Considering that it is also your premise without proof, you don’t have a point or a valid position and if it’s merely your opinion and my opinion is that you are completely wrong. Odd coming from you, it contradicts much of what I believe you have posted in the past regarding fewer corps and fewer shows in the activity.

So I ask you for clarification with in the context – How is it that there are fewer drum corps and fewer drum corps shows than in the 1970s yet overall yearly attendance is up 2006? And is attendance more important than participation are they mutually exclusive? If so what does that mean as for the emphasis for the activity. To me it implies we can put to rest that notion that it’s primarily ‘for the kids’, if attendance in the stands is the deciding factor for the activity – that really opens up several cans of worms then, doesn’t it

So really, you don’t have a point with out the proof, you are just guessing, wishing, lying or what ever you want to call it

OK Mike that was a lazy, snarky reply

I’ll try again

First, I don’t accept your premise that tickets sale keep going up for all of drum corps or that there is a spike in attendance post 2004.

Here is what I said....

As long as the fans keep coming, and the people keep on trying out, DCI will be fine. Part of the "problem" some people seem to have here is that as much as they rail against the changes...it isn't impacting the elements I mentioned.

Attendance overall is strong, according to both DCI and posts here. That's all I am saying.

Plus, people still audition in large numbers.

If there was a noticable issue I would guess DCI would look at doing whatever it takes to change that. IMO the direction they have been moving on many fronts is making the organization stronger.

Secondly your premise is that you’ll allow attendance to define the medium. If that is the case, maybe the guard should perform naked, have live sex acts on the field, and the can have NASCAR races around the field. I hear their attendance is way up, people love fast cars.

Audience and members are the two elements I mentioned.

Thirdly, DCI is marketing to band kids and part of that marketing is trying to be more accommodating, making drum corps like band at the expense of drum corps to appease what they consider their target market. I tend to think it’s rather dishonest. I think many of the corps are being used to market band programs and band circuits, that’s where the money and future is according to one rather ‘vocal’ proponent of change. I don’t like that the integrity of drum corps is being sacrificed as a sales tool for another medium.

Drum corps has been tied tighter and tighter to the band world for decades...and the ties that bind have come from both directions. It's maintaining integrity to continue along those lines, not losing it.

Soccer is the worlds most popular sport yet it has failed to catch on in the largest money generating sports market, the US. Instead of pandering to the American market, changing the rules to make it more like American football, allowing full body hits, they instead maintain the integrity of the sport. and try other means. You often hear pro athletes take about respecting the game – DCI does not respect the game.

Oh, I disagree. DCI does indeed respect the game...the game is just not the one you want it to be.

On a side note, last night 4 Hispanics ( a Columbian, 2 Mexicans and a Puerto Rican) were raiding my Ipod and came across my drum corps clips – they loved it and wanted copies. They love the volume and the horns –has DCI tried to market itself to the Hispanics community, one of the fastest growing, most brand-loyal demographic in the US? Have they exhausted their marketing options before changing the medium and rules? No, not really, never seen a corps play at half time during a soccer show, which has their season during the summer. Never seen a DCI flyer, ad in Spanish. Instead, they rather get muddled in a conflict of interest and use drum corps to make money with their band programs. No love, respect or maintaining integrity for the game there, just cashing a band buck – Maybe they should incorporate some WWF Smackdown into the shows then, have corps fight each other on the field after the show, WWF has great tickets sales. I can justify several changes to drum corps under the guise of chasing a buck but do I really want to? is that what Drum Corp is about, pandering to perceived markets at any cost? If so, drum corp has already failed

Drum corps is not 'chasing a market'...it is part of that market...has always been so...only now it's even more closely tied to that market than ever before.

BTW...I have heard of drum corps playing at soccer matches here in NJ...and I know the Cadets have played at Nascar and the Olympics.

In general regarding marketing efforts, IMO DCI is doing a good job targeting limited marketing funds as it has been in recent years.

I dunno about that...some drum corps have a ton of Hispanics bro.

Great, that seems to support my observation – but what don’t you know about/

what specific marketing have you seen by DCI that targeted Hispanics? I’d really love to see it, get a hold of it – could you point out some to me

thanks

I've only read the first 13 pages of this post. But I believe that Eistein has provoked some very intelligent dialogue. And I commend all who participated for your good thoughts and opinions. I've enjoyed them, even Mike Davis! (just KIDDING Mike!)

Hmmphphph....wait until I see YOU at a critique this fall! :P

(For those not in the know...Jim judges USSBA band shows each fall...he has seen the band I arrange for a number of times!)