open statement to drum corps brass arrangers

You have overused the sharp 4 on a major triad to the point of killing it. It is such a cliché at this point that it is meaningless.

Either stop using it or put it to some new use beyond adding bite to the end of a statement that would be too happy with just the major triad.

Listen to Messiaen!

What do you suggest they use instead? 4-3 suspensions are common in almost any gnere of music. Suspensions are often used to end statements. Think of it as a "capture and release" moment, and it makes so much more sense. The rubbing of the notes (capture) and then the pulling away (release), is what creates the impact--regardless of how loud the dynamics are.

By the way, I love this particular progression you speak of!

:)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what else would we call the drum corps chord?

I don't think I ever played the drum corps chord in my years of marching, though most of Spin Cycle was in F Lydian.

You have overused the sharp 4 on a major triad to the point of killing it. It is such a cliché at this point that it is meaningless.

Have you noticed that in most cases, that suspension lies in the mellophones, and then is usually followed by the vibraphone or marimba? I like the progression. To me, it is a shade more cutting than the traditional 4-3 suspension. In thinking about it, one of the first memorable uses of this suspension is by John Williams when he used a variation of it (#4-2, as an escape tone) in the piccolo solo in E.T. I think, honestly, one can't overlook the influence of Williams in helping make this particular suspension more commonplace than the traditional 4-3 suspension. Look at how much it has been used in the last 25 years. Look at how infrequently it had been used prior to 1982.

Thinking of the suspension right now, and it is very clear to my ears, it reminds me very much of "outer space." I think this is probably because we have been conditioned to hear it as such because it is used so prevalently in science fiction film music. This subliminal casting is true for other progessions as well. For example, whenever we hear bass players play a series of eighth notes in chromatic half-steps, we think of "Jaws." The parallels are endless.

Just my .02, coming from a guy that taught Music Theory at the university level for a few years,

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Well, you can always try triple tounging with some flam drags. Just kidding. :P

so if you dont like the augmented 4th back down to the third, do you like the diminished fifth up to the perfect fifth?

:D

I'm not talking about sharp 4 to major third suspension; much more common is simply the major triad with the sharp 4, not resolving, especially in hits, because it adds a little tension to the boring old major triad. A california guy I marched with in 02 called it the "scv tritone," but I don't know if they're actually credited with starting it or if he was just being a westcoast dick. Pretty much everyone uses it now, though (it ends this year's cadets closer!), so it's gotten to the point where it sounds nearly as regular, at least to my ear, as a triad, when it occurs in drum corps. It used to be interesting, but now it's not.

To those who don't know what I'm talking about, go to a piano and play C E F# G altogether. You've heard it before.

And come on, it's nowhere near the same thing as a V-I progression. Why's everybody gotta be so sarcastic? Am I really the only one who wants more interesting drum corps music?