Olympics

I believe the original modern games in 1896 were supposed to have a musical/cultural festival in concert with the athletics, but it didn't happen..

As for adding in drum corps....consider that every time the IOC starts talking about eliminating sports, we i the fencing community start getting VERY nervous...and this is one only 4 sport disciplines to make it from the beginning (the other three being swimming, gymnastics, and track & field events).

If the IOC ever seriously considers dropping fencing -- a Euro-born sport that's been in the Games since day 1 -- they're not going to consider a niche activity like drum corps.

Besides...the IOC has a habit of screwing around with sports to make them more TV friendly....don't get me going on the fencing masks with the clear Lexan faceplate...there's a REASON I don't sell them as a vendor and hate them as an armorer.

Let's keep our own house....

Not only that, but they already cut baseball and softball. Those two sports need to come back, IMO. How could there be drum corps at the Olympics and no baseball?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, but they already cut baseball and softball. Those two sports need to come back, IMO. How could there be drum corps at the Olympics and no baseball?

Both were only part of the Olympics for a short time and then were pulled out again due to lack of participants. Besides the US and Japan, baseball and softball are not that much played around the world. They may even be out ranked by cricket due to the British colonial past.

But do I think drum corps should be in the Olympics? No I don't. The comparison with figure skating and synchronized swimming and some forms of gymnastics seems reasonable, however, there is one big difference. In all these sports, the athletes are judged on their athletic ability, and their ability to apply it in a way that it interprets the music. None of these athletes is taking an active role in producing the sound. This makes them athletes instead of performers like corps members are.

Then there is the before mentioned problem of logistics. To have a corps in your Olympic team would mean to have double the amount of members from what they'd usually send to the Olympics. The average Olympic team does not go beyond 150 members, take a few exceptions. Having all these corps present would mean a lot of extra housing for the organizers, lots of extra transportation, meals, medical staff (doping) etc. The extra costs would be immensely.

Another point is the selection of the corps members, how do you get the nations best corps, do you take the national champion, or do you hold auditions to get the strongest possible corps.

Lots of problems ahead. Sorry, don't see it happen, all tough the extra attention for the activity would be awesome.

but the thought of having an olympic team drum corps, with all the top members in the country auditioning for the top spots is kind of cool. imagine how clean that corps would be!

or it could be used as an incentive, such as, the corps with the highest winning percentage for the three years prior to the olympic year gets to go, or something...

Besides the US and Japan, baseball and softball are not that much played around the world.

:wall: Huh? Baseball is played extensively throughout the entire western hemisphere and much of Asia. Perhaps your statement has some validity on a professional level but I don't think that is pertinent to the Olympics.

but the thought of having an olympic team drum corps, with all the top members in the country auditioning for the top spots is kind of cool. imagine how clean that corps would be!

that would be something else! is it too much to ask what designers/arrangers/instructors would get the gig? spin-off topic?

Why would you want drum corps in the olympics, unless the olympics are in the northern hemisphere and pretty close to the US it wouldn't be during the summer like the normal year. Only a few countries even have enough olympians to fill a drum corps.

Both were only part of the Olympics for a short time and then were pulled out again due to lack of participants. Besides the US and Japan, baseball and softball are not that much played around the world. They may even be out ranked by cricket due to the British colonial past.

So all the Major League Baseball teams that have set up baseball academies in Latin American countries in order to find the next generation of great players are pretty much wasting their time? Something like 25% of major leaguers are from Latin American countries. Anyway...

But do I think drum corps should be in the Olympics? No I don't. The comparison with figure skating and synchronized swimming and some forms of gymnastics seems reasonable, however, there is one big difference. In all these sports, the athletes are judged on their athletic ability, and their ability to apply it in a way that it interprets the music. None of these athletes is taking an active role in producing the sound. This makes them athletes instead of performers like corps members are.

Then there is the before mentioned problem of logistics. To have a corps in your Olympic team would mean to have double the amount of members from what they'd usually send to the Olympics. The average Olympic team does not go beyond 150 members, take a few exceptions. Having all these corps present would mean a lot of extra housing for the organizers, lots of extra transportation, meals, medical staff (doping) etc. The extra costs would be immensely.

Another point is the selection of the corps members, how do you get the nations best corps, do you take the national champion, or do you hold auditions to get the strongest possible corps.

Lots of problems ahead. Sorry, don't see it happen, all tough the extra attention for the activity would be awesome.

Well I agree with you on why it shouldn't be in the Olympics. It's just not a sport, as much as it feels like a sport to those participating in it. It's not sport enough for the Olympics.

The only thing that I could envision would be some sort of "World Cup" of drum corps. The world's governing bodies of drum corps could get together and set rules, each nation could assemble a corps (through auditions), and then have a few exhibitions, then a prelims and finals. Anyone here into uniform design wanna start designing different countries' uniforms? Would Team USA's uniform look like Star of Indiana 1992?

America would win every gold medal. U-S-A!! U-S-A!!!