Disrespect Between Members of Different Eras

FWIW, I know two friends that own probably 3-5 Legacy DVDs, and both of them have 1985 in their collection, and nothing from 2000 on. So not all "newbies" are obsessing with the present at the cost of the past.

Note: Not directed at TSRT13, his post just got me thinking about this.

One thing to consider before we get too deep into which era knows the past better is the availiblity of older recordings. Great thing about marching in the 2000s as opposed to 1970s is that you are able to buy sights and sounds from the past. When I marched the only "old" stuff was couple years old bargin box (literally a cardboard box) albums at a few shows. Only really old sounds I bought was a re-release of a 1960 Fleetwood album that Drum Corps News was going to start a series of. Few months later the Fleetwood masters were lost in a fire and that killed the idea.

Couldn't even buy current videos as they were not for sale.

Today cleaned up versions of Fleetwood and other album sounds are for sale thanks to modern technology. Todays marchers can hear and see shows with the previous "generation" of horns and drums (IOW piston/rotor and pre-pit). Now I can also hear my previous generation of corps (tenor baris, no contras/mid-voice, tenor snare drums). And those generations DO have a world of differences.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here I thought we could use this as an opportunity to heal some wounds, and it appears some more are being made.

You know, I'm getting tired of reading how it's all the older generations fault. Alot of you "kids" sure know how to throw around the insults too. Difference is, I read alot of sarcasm and just instigating arguments on these posts. I don't even like to come on here in this part of the discussion because of that. And God forbid someone should have a DIFFERENT opinion then you.

You have to have to respect yourself before you can have respect for others.

It isn't about which era is better then the other. It's about respecting all eras and what each one has brought to the activity in the way of evolution, and "change". I know things change and I can accept.."most" changes..but don't come on here bashing the "old guys" just because you've seen a couple of them acting like jerks. Not all of us are jerks. Alot of us still support you and help sponsor you, and still vounteer as well as other things we do for the activity. If you can do that, not lump all "old schoolers" together, then I will not lump all of you young adults into a category of sarcastic, insensitive, only care about "Me" groups.

"Before you accuse me...take a look at yourself".

Edited by Lancerlady

I think I've finally figured it out. Nevermind that long, well thought out response I posted from earlier. Nevermind anything I've ever said. What I really need to do to be abrasive is be like Mist and the like. I'll just sit here and pick apart minute details in other peoples posts .. take them out of context .. and then make some smart### comment in response. It must work because it ###### me off :)

Why even have a thread about bridging the gab (yes I said gab) between eras when first blood was drawn several pages ago. Let's just have a war and get it over with. Verbal jousting ... commence.

Minute details? Your assumption that modern-day marchers know nothing about past eras of drum corps was a key assumption that 2 or 3 paragraphs out of your post rested upon.

...and you're wrong about that assumption. Do I really need to make a long, draw-out post about it?

It's nothing personal. And that should really go for everyone on the internet, don't take things personal. It'll save you a lot of stress and keep your blood pressure down.

Edited by mistofflies

Oh yeah, there is more to learning history then watching DVD Legacies. There are books and other things to learn from, and that is not pointed at anyone in particular.

And here I thought we could use this as an opportunity to heal some wounds, and it appears some more are being made.

You know, I'm getting tired of reading how it's all the older generations fault. Alot of you "kids" sure know how to throw around the insults too. Difference is, I read alot of sarcasm and just instigating arguments on these posts. I don't even like to come on here in this part of the discussion because of that. And God forbid someone should have a DIFFERENT opinion then you.

You have to have to respect yourself before you can have respect for others.

It isn't about which era is better then the other. It's about respecting all eras and what each one has brought to the activity in the way of evolution, and "change". I know things change and I can accept.."most" changes..but don't come on here bashing the "old guys" just because you've seen a couple of them acting like jerks. Not all of us are jerks. Alot of us still support you and help sponsor you, and still vounteer as well as other things we do for the activity. If you can do that, not lump all "old schoolers" together, then I will not lump all of you young adults into a category of sarcastic, insensitive, only care about "Me" groups.

"Before you accuse me...take a look at yourself".

Stef,

How do you square your statements above about respecting all eras and what each brings to the activity (which I agree with 100%) with your own involvement in presenting a petition to DCI that asks for what the current era has brought to the table to be taken away?

Oh yeah, there is more to learning history then watching DVD Legacies. There are books and other things to learn from, and that is not pointed at anyone in particular.

And just as important is actually talking to previous generations. Both sides win when we communicate. Flaming posts don't accomplish anything.

I want to learn what you're doing and I'll tell you about my exploits in drum corps if you care to ask.

When I first started posting here I was one of those, "what you're doing is not real drum corps guys". I got flamed pretty seriously for it and that made me even more resolute in my feelings.

I've changed my mind and see I was wrong, thinking that what is performed today isn't "real" drum corps. It wasn't the flaming posts that changed my mind. It wasn't the name calling and posts where every other word was ####. No, I got some well thought out, reasonable posts that were considerate and respectful. They told me in a nice way that I was being a closed mind jerk.

It took awhile to get over myself and to feel secure enough to accept that reality. Don't be mean in your responses. You just get each other angry and you're so busy defending your own position that you learn nothing.

And just as important is actually talking to previous generations. Both sides win when we communicate. Flaming posts don't accomplish anything.

I want to learn what you're doing and I'll tell you about my exploits in drum corps if you care to ask.

When I first started posting here I was one of those, "what you're doing is not real drum corps guys". I got flamed pretty seriously for it and that made me even more resolute in my feelings.

I've changed my mind and see I was wrong, thinking that what is performed today isn't "real" drum corps. It wasn't the flaming posts that changed my mind. It wasn't the name calling and posts where every other word was ####. No, I got some well thought out, reasonable posts that were considerate and respectful. They told me in a nice way that I was being a closed mind jerk.

It took awhile to get over myself and to feel secure enough to accept that reality. Don't be mean in your responses. You just get each other angry and you're so busy defending your own position that you learn nothing.

Flaming? I'm not the one flaming, go back and read some of the previous posts. That is NOT a flaming post but an observation. I notice alot of folks think watching DVD's is the only way to study the history, I just brought up a point, that there are more ways to study then that.

I have NEVER said what they're doing is not drum corps or real drum corps. So please you're preaching to the wrong choir here. Why not go back and try to read why I'm seeing, constantly attacking older folks with sarcsasm, that's not very nice either and that in my book constitutes flaming the fires. So you were wrong in implying that my post was flaming.

Edited by Lancerlady

Stef,

How do you square your statements above about respecting all eras and what each brings to the activity (which I agree with 100%) with your own involvement in presenting a petition to DCI that asks for what the current era has brought to the table to be taken away?

Mike, I have repeatedly made my stance on how I feel about amplification on drum corps, that doesn't mean that I don't think todays drum corps isn't real or that I disrespect it any less. And I have also repeatedly stated that I have issues with what the board of directors are doing, not what the kids on the field are doing. Big difference. Nice try though on trying to make me look like something is wrong with me for having a difference of opinion about something. And the only reason I presented the Petition was because apparently nobody else had bawls enough to back what they were saying or wanted to take the time out to believe in their particular stance. At least I stood up for what I believed in, in their faces. I can't say the same for some of these other posters. Following the Peition they voted down electronics. I'm not saying I alone did that, but I think that it came from them realizing how angry people would be if they kept going that route just yet. Alot of the board came up to me thanking me for presenting it because they were having problems standing their ground on the electronics issue.

Presenting a petition to a board about repealing amplification doesn't mean I disrespect drum corps. NICE TRY though. It means I don't agree with that particular change.

Edited by Lancerlady

Yup...Marty has REALLY made a 180 shift from his early posting days....

BTW Marty, I see in your sig you have been involved with the Narbeth Communihy Theater. I was at a meeting last Friday here where I work and a woman at the meeting was wearing a Narbeth t-shirt from one of the productions. She is with the theater company. Told me they are doing WSS this fall.

I just finished playing a show the last two weekends here in NJ, at Mercer Community College.

Yup...Marty has REALLY made a 180 shift from his early posting days....

BTW Marty, I see in your sig you have been involved with the Narbeth Communihy Theater. I was at a meeting last Friday here where I work and a woman at the meeting was wearing a Narbeth t-shirt from one of the productions. She is with the theater company. Told me they are doing WSS this fall.

I just finished playing a show the last two weekends here in NJ, at Mercer Community College.

Just don't say, "I told you so" I hate that :P

Yeah, I got a call to play lead trumpet for that production. I think I'm going to try to do it, comes down to timing. It's a demanding lead book and I love that kind of stuff...and you usually get a t-shirt :) (I think that is community theater scale)

Edited by Martybucs