2003 Phantom Regiment v. 2003 Blue Devils

Neither floats my boat. Phantom was too blah visually and the guard really killed the show for me. . .I don't care how good the music was. BD was just too sterile and also fairly blah. . .pretty darn clean though.

2003 is all about the Cavies for me (now, anyways). They should have won.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither floats my boat. Phantom was too blah visually and the guard really killed the show for me. . .I don't care how good the music was. BD was just too sterile and also fairly blah. . .pretty darn clean though.

2003 is all about the Cavies for me (now, anyways). They should have won.

See, that's strange because shows that are visually lacking usually make up for it with their music. The music is usually a redeeming quality.

Besides, I thought Phantom had great visuals, especially at the end. Now, I'm a pit guy so I don't know as much about this sort of thing; but I found the show visually stunning.

See, that's strange because shows that are visually lacking usually make up for it with their music. The music is usually a redeeming quality.

Besides, I thought Phantom had great visuals, especially at the end. Now, I'm a pit guy so I don't know as much about this sort of thing; but I found the show visually stunning.

compared to some of the other stuff that happened that year (and years surrounding it)?

Not so much.

yeah, the kick-halt's cool and all . . . but come on.

And the full turn was pretty sweet (though I never understood why they added the little skip step). Anyway, I just found the music to be classic Phantom. They've made Cannon their own, in a way. This show is one of the reasons why they're my favorite corps.

Consider this: BD comes out VERY strong every year - and 03 was definately in keeping with that trend (they had a great hornline). Conversely, PR traditionally comes out slow - and that show needed a lot of work in the early season (several songs were given completely new drill and new parts were learned on the way out to Cali). I won't knock BD - great corps, great people, very hospitable (really enjoyed the joint-bbq). Just saying that if you never saw anything after July it would be hard to criticize coments from later (I'm guessing you probably saw the dvds though).

Your point is well taken and I'm not criticizing anybody's points with respect which corps they like best (I was reacting to someone telling everyone else what they should look for). You are right - my perspective is limited but it is all I got. I loved both shows, but when I had the opportunity to see them live I thought BD was a clear notch better. Had I seen the August performances live my opinion may very well be different.

for what its worth, id just like to add a bit more input on the year (off-topic as it is).

scv was my favorite show of the year. unbelievable drumline/pit, and their respective books. i thought they should have won drums. anima mundi was my favorite production of the season, and that ending was intense as hell.

i saw cadets all season and never liked their show until finals when their performance level left me floored. i honestly thought they beat the cavies on finals night, based on how stunningly clean they were that night.

im really glad cavies put spin cycle on the field. i didnt really like it when i saw it early season, and thought it was corny and way too dumbed down conceptually (oh, ok, spin cycle, so lets just make a lot of things rotate and give the color guard horrendous uniforms), but my opinion definitely changed by the end of the year. its easily one of the hardest shows of all time, had some G.E. moments that were just straight up 'awesome', performed what i felt was the loudest hornline moment of the night (unleashing during the park n blow....and here's my obligatory reference to the mellos for jake), and the ending was perfect for the show. they also had moments in their show (the whole sitting section, for example) that were unlike anything that had ever been done in drum corps before, and i have to give them props for that.

when i saw madison '03 live at.....i think it was their second show of the season; somewhere in the south, i must say that their opening hit was one of the most memorable drum corps moments of my life. being hit by a wall of sound by means of a hornline in G was unlike anything i had ever experienced in my life, and i can still distinctly remember the sound and color of it right now. it may have been a cliche'd way for a drum corps to get back into finals, but it was a really effective show (that ive spent half of my drum corps career playing music from) and the last G hornline to ever make finals.

the park n blow at the end of crossmen's show was one of my favorites ever. i loved their and bluecoats shows early season, but both got kind of old by the end.

magic '03 fielded the best 11th place hornline of all time. sorry, freelancers and others. that was a 7th place brassline.

seattle fielded the best 15th place hornline of all time too, and its a shame that design (for the most part) kept their show from making finals and getting the recognization it deserved.

spirit, aside from being underscored (along with magic), performed one of the most memorable shows in recent years, and had much more emotional impact with the audience than 12th place shows are typically expected to have. way to start off the evening, by causing half of the audience to cry for the first show of the night, haha.

thats a quick synopsis of some other things i appreciated about that season (aside from honestly really enjoying the unique experience of competing in div 2/3), if anyone was interested. i know its off topic but i felt like writing it at the moment, heh. there were lot of other memorable moments in dci that year as well (if PC hadn't taken a week off before finals, they might have had a chance of cracking the top 12, just like my corps that year, basically), but those were the ones that came to mind first.

oh, knightsbari, by the way.....if you cant remember what bd played that year, a lot of it involved "dah dah dahdah dah dah" in 5/4. hope that helps. :)

Edited by Jared_mello

oh, knightsbari, by the way.....if you cant remember what bd played that year, a lot of it involved "dah dah dahdah dah dah" in 5/4. hope that helps. :)

Yeah, that's a BIG help... :P

You are right - my perspective is limited but it is all I got. I loved both shows, but when I had the opportunity to see them live I thought BD was a clear notch better. Had I seen the August performances live my opinion may very well be different.

I can't say what you would have thought later - I did have the opportunity to see BD in the arc at the barbeque, and they were definate a very good line. Definately one of the two loudest that summer, and had a fun show to watch (due to the rain I had the chance to see them at quarters).

Really, it just comes down to taste - I personally really enjoyed BD's show, and will concede most of what people are saying about Regiment (though, I do think it's a little shady to make so many complaints about one or two low brass players and maybe one or two 3rd trumpets, but whatever). Everyone is entitled to their opinnion.

For the record, Cavaliers 03 had a lot of cool stuff going on, but I think SCV is probably my favorite show from another corps that year. I wasn't sold on it at first (seriously just sounded like the same motif over and over), but when I really gave it a listen I loved it - great show.

i saw cadets all season and never liked their show until finals when their performance level left me floored.

If I'm not mistaken they did a LOT of changes in that show - literally added about 40 pages of drill to malageuna almost over night in mid-July.

Edit: I agree - Magic was definately underscored, that hornline meant business.

Edited by raphael18

I think both shows were outstanding. 2003 PR is one of the best hornlines I have ever heard live, but I just think BD had it all. From a brass perspective I give PR a slight edge, but when you roll visual, guard, percussion and GE into the equation I think BD wins by a nose.

I think the arrangement of Take 5 interwoven with quotes from WSS was absolutely brilliant. For me it was exciting as it gets. At the same time Canon was one of the most stunning pieces I have ever heard in drum corps. I love hanging out in the lot and prior to the Concord show I stood in front of the PR arc. I was mesmerized. It will always remain one of my favorite drum corps memories.