Loudest corps "off the line"

Old school drum corps are known best for being REALLY LOUD, especially in the beginning of the show when the corps were coming off the line. So, which corps blew you away in the first minutes of their program?

For me, it's a two way tie:

The 1976 Cavaliers/Russian Sailors Dance (After a long countoff, they blasted their first chords and made their presence known.)

The 1974 Madison Scouts/Ballet in Brass (These were the days of the grand, brassy Madison Scouts hornlines. This was a fine example of that era.)

People! Off the line old school the corps step off from the end line of the end zone not mid field. Most of the corps and years your posting about started mod field. Think old school.

Back in the day seniors had the big powerful horn lines and I would say Hawthorn, Skyliners, Archer Epler Musketeers, and Reilly Raiders could blow your face off from the end line. That was exciting stuff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People! Off the line old school the corps step off from the end line of the end zone not mid field. Most of the corps and years your posting about started mod field. Think old school.

Back in the day seniors had the big powerful horn lines and I would say Hawthorn, Skyliners, Archer Epler Musketeers, and Reilly Raiders could blow your face off from the end line. That was exciting stuff.

Madison '75 started off the field (not in the end zone but behind the sideline). I believe the entire intro to Slaughter on 10th Ave was played off the field.

I was behind the horns playing plates and it was still very loud.

Note to members in current corps. - if you're in the drumline, wear ear protection! Especially if you're indoors. or you'll end up half deaf like me when you're 50.

Man, no love for the '76 Cavies.

By the way, I heard a wind ensemble play Russian Sailor Dance on NPR this afternoon. It took me awhile to recognize the tune without the huge hornline

Note to members in current corps. - if you're in the drumline, wear ear protection! Especially if you're indoors. or you'll end up half deaf like me when you're 50.

Mike, I sure wish we had all been smarter about this! I've had tinnitus since my late 20's.

Take it from a couple of oldsters, protect your hearing NOW! The damage won't show up for quite a few years, and by then it will be premanent.

Regarding the '75 Scouts hornline, if you think it was loud from across the field, try standing in the middle of it, run through after run through after run through. Loud is an understatment. They were also clean!

A couple of loud moments come to mind for me. Opening notes of Sprit of Atl. the first show after loosing some of their staff. Really that whole show was Loud !!!!!! The loudest moment for me was at Stillwater in 1980. SCV's big hit in the middle of "Don't cry for me Argentina" (sp) was AWESOME !!!!

Bill

83 Regiment
Gotta go with this one too. Most horns ever on the field and what a presence it was!

:ph34r:

I will put this one up near the top..especially because for virtually the 1st half of the season, they never unloaded on the horns. They had 10 contras, and a lot of us chuckled because you couldn't hear them..We marched in about 5 shows with them up to DeKalb, and even then they weren't really cranking. When they opened up the Drum Beauty show in Minneapolis about a week after DeKalb, I was standing behind the grandstand when they hit the opening chord..

MY EARS BLED!!! Most of us with MBI just dropped our jaws, and jokingly said, 'What took you so long'? They became the "VOLUME REGIMENT" from that moment forward...Still are!

:laugh::laugh:

I still would put '75 Madison or '78,'79 or '80 Spirit in that same eschelon!

Pat

Thanks for the comp, Pat.

I remember Drum Ugly. Although we didn't score as well as we wanted to, we really appreciated the fan response, especially the cheers during the crank in 1812 and the boos when ours and Madison's scores were announced.

Edited by Jd83

I will put this one up near the top..especially because for virtually the 1st half of the season, they never unloaded on the horns. They had 10 contras, and a lot of us chuckled because you couldn't hear them..We marched in about 5 shows with them up to DeKalb, and even then they weren't really cranking. When they opened up the Drum Beauty show in Minneapolis about a week after DeKalb, I was standing behind the grandstand when they hit the opening chord..

MY EARS BLED!!! Most of us with MBI just dropped our jaws, and jokingly said, 'What took you so long'? They became the "VOLUME REGIMENT" from that moment forward...Still are!

Pat

76 Madison was no slacker either

the "VOLUME REGIMENT" from that moment forward...Still are!

Pat

Thanks Pat B)