Heat Wave Inactive?

and thanks to the 35 rule, they may NEVER hit the field....

w/Stp:

or, may hit the field, but not as part of DCA as they decided that becoming part of DCA would be the wrong thing for them as an organization given this rule.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As supersop said,..............if they work hard,.............they will :ph34r:

Not if they can't recruit sufficient bodies...you can't MAKE anyone join up...and the chance that a corps may not be able to perform at a show due to low member numbers would certainly make some people not want to expend the effort for no chance to perform.

If you have a 28 person corps and every section is BD/Cadets/Regiment/SC\V etc quality, and you're unable to recruit anyone else, you're not able to perform...WTF??

Simply working hard does not get you that 35th person....some times hard RECRUITING doesn't do it.

Edited by 84BDsop

When DCA imposed this rule on the regions, they imposed it on corps regardless of whether they planned on attending finals or not.

....but some were planning on doing so in 2007, until the 35-member rule was imposed.

So, a while ago I asked the question about how this was "imposed" on the regions,.......................it would appear they were receptive to this idea, as I heard not one peep in opposition to this,................

not to mention the missed opportunites a group of 30 or so has ot recruit becuase they can't perform at a competition either.....most peopl I know joined a corps after seeing them perform....a group of 30 is denited that opportunity to show what they DO have and recruit...............so not only do the smaller groups not get to perform, they are also denied one of the chief way sof recruiting memebrs so that they CAN perform! double whammy.

Edited by Guard Diva

Talk about your distractions.....the Poisonettes...yowza!

Perhaps Heat Wave could morph into a WGM type group if those who were still around really wanted to stay together. Whatever you guys choose to do, my best wishes go out for you.

As supersop said,..............if they work hard,.............they will :ph34r:

I have ignored most of this thread as being silly and a little insulting, but I have to respond to this. I have seen statements of this kind and this kind of attitude from many different people, and every one of them has been from a region where all age corps has been an established activity for many years.

People from regions where DCA is a brand new thing know better. It requires far more than just "hard work" to recruit and retain members when the only drum corps they've ever known is the Blue Devils and you can't provide the Blue Devils experience for them. It is absolutely insulting to suggest that every corps that may not make the 35 member limit is simply not working hard enough. Especially from people who have no knowledge of what their recruiting efforts have been.

Personally, I know the kind of recruiting efforts that went into Heat Wave. I was there when we took our minicorps on the road to band shows nearly every week in the "offseason", to towns I'd never even heard of. I watched our recruiting manager personally call every single info request we ever got on our website, multiple times. I was part of the phone tree that called almost every person who'd ever been to a rehearsal before every camp trying to get them out again. We made mistakes, but don't ever be confused or doubtful about the amount of effort that was put in.

I was in a start-up corps here in Erie, Pa called Excalibur. Same story, couldn't get the folks to come out to participate for one reason or another, mostly lack of respect for management. There's always a reason. How is it DCA's fault you can't get 20 horns, 10 drummers and 5 guard people and put out a respectable little corps? I feel sorry and sad for the units that are smaller than that. I agree with the the rule wholeheartedly. If you've been at it a couple years and can't muster 35 people, it's time to move on. I'll offer something positive and helpfull to small units. I would find another unit with similar styles and both of them learn the same book. Have a few camps to put it together and have a unit of respectable size, volume and entertainment. We tried it. It didn't work because the big shots wouldn't share the power, but thats what I would do.

And ....

Scream Machine

Prairie Sound

High Country Brass

World Gone Mad

Jackson Generals

(and many corps yet to be named)

edit: curn't spell

All , other than Jackson, are BRAND NEW STARTING.. Austin said at the beginning, they were planning for 08,

Masquerade is only doing a regional show, Jackson went inactive and it had NOTHING to do with the 35 rule...

Scream Machine - Prairie Sound - HC Brass in the beginning phase of getting their corps together, Shenandoah, is regrouping. Yeah I believe they should of let the regions do what they can to grow their smaller corps.. but right now, we live with the rule, or until a Unanimous member vote is taken to change it.

You all have been going on and on... Heat Wave had more than enough people a few months ago...I saw that at a practice back in March.. they were just waiting for some pit and guard to come back from winter stuff. Now they state they don't have enough brass or percussion or guard, it was decided to fold the corps, by the members. something else happened over the last few months that made their decision. something internal? who knows for sure..Read what their member Alan states. It seems pretty cut and dry. And to those that said F####'n DCA, it was the voting members , not the BOD of DCA that voted this in.. and maybe you should all see how YOUR directors voted...cause I bet some of you spewing are of corps that your directors voted YES ! and did any of the small corps that were at rules congress argue this , or sit and say, it doesn't affect me.. I am over 35 people!!! who knows??, unless you were in the room, or as pudster said, sat down and talked to a DCA director.....

There will be another corps coming from Florida Soon.. maybe 2....just be patient... enjoy the upcoming drum corps season, love thy neighbor ...love each other...love your corps, help grow a corps, and yeah know what?? ITS JUST A FREAKIN HOBBY !!!!! :ph34r:

Peace and I am out

Spit Fire is coming !!! Stay tuned

God Bless Our Troops this Memorial Day Weekend

Hey Alan! Well done young man, well done! I enjoy reading your posts and others should read what you write as well as how you write. For a young man you know what you are talking about and my hats off to you. I truly respect you sir and carry on.

I have ignored most of this thread as being silly and a little insulting, but I have to respond to this. I have seen statements of this kind and this kind of attitude from many different people, and every one of them has been from a region where all age corps has been an established activity for many years.

People from regions where DCA is a brand new thing know better. It requires far more than just "hard work" to recruit and retain members when the only drum corps they've ever known is the Blue Devils and you can't provide the Blue Devils experience for them. It is absolutely insulting to suggest that every corps that may not make the 35 member limit is simply not working hard enough. Especially from people who have no knowledge of what their recruiting efforts have been.

Personally, I know the kind of recruiting efforts that went into Heat Wave. I was there when we took our minicorps on the road to band shows nearly every week in the "offseason", to towns I'd never even heard of. I watched our recruiting manager personally call every single info request we ever got on our website, multiple times. I was part of the phone tree that called almost every person who'd ever been to a rehearsal before every camp trying to get them out again. We made mistakes, but don't ever be confused or doubtful about the amount of effort that was put in.