Staff Quotes

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sombody needs to throw in some david bertman quotes and totally own this thread.

Word. No one's voice cut across an entire field like Bertman's. And you knew when you heard that infamous "HORNLINE!", they were about to get it.

No one else at the Cavaliers ever really raised their voice, so Bertman always added some excitement to the rehearsal.

I'm waiting for one of the hornline members to tell the story about Bertman and the trucks last summer. The drums weren't present so I just have the second hand account (which is ridiculously funny still).

Word. No one's voice cut across an entire field like Bertman's. And you knew when you heard that infamous "HORNLINE!", they were about to get it.

No one else at the Cavaliers ever really raised their voice, so Bertman always added some excitement to the rehearsal.

I'm waiting for one of the hornline members to tell the story about Bertman and the trucks last summer. The drums weren't present so I just have the second hand account (which is ridiculously funny still).

But then again, Bertman knows not to f*** with the hornline too much cause they'd eventually retaliate or something...i.e. messing with him in the shower, screaming as loud as humanly possible, or just anything to completely throw him off. A lot of people at UH like to press his buttons...lol, he's funny when he gets upset cause you know you can't take him seriously...most of the time. :whistle:

Plain and simple from 2006 SCV Percussion Staff: "It sounds better when you don't suck!"

Jeff Willis 2008 Spokane Thunder (referring to rehearsal letters): "Okay drumline lets take it from 'B' as in butt hole to 'D'.....*pause* as in Doggy Style!"

This last one isn't staff but I was at a show in "the midwest" last year with all of the open class corps. The venue was HORRIBLE, there were like 25 people in the stands, and the field had more holes in it than the moon. After the last show of the day, the announcer, who was this grouchy old lady said the usual "following the announcement of the scores there will be an encore performance by <corps name> and a performance of America the Beautiful." Everyone had JUST seen this corps and they hadn't had that great of a show so once the scores were announced, everyone got up and started leaving. As people were leaving she got mega ###### and said really loud into her horrible PA system in a cranky old voice, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I SAID THERE WILL BE AN ENCORE PERFORMANCE BY <corps name> FOLLOWING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SCORES!! WHAT'S FIVE MINUTES TO YOU?? HAVE A SEAT!!!!!!" She then started yelling at individuals to sit down. haha it was pretty sad/pathetic.

had to be there but...

27 '83 Jack Cash quad sectional working the ridiculous feature he wrote.

Jack asked each guy to try it again & again, Jack would say "no, that's not it"

everybody was getting exasperated, Jack said wildy "NO!, QUICK!... like a BUNNY!"

spontaneously I ripped it off causing Jack to jump and yell "Thats It!, Thats It!"

part ended up hosed in the end

pissah

Ah, those were the days. I loved that book.

Learning drill on a particularly miserable rainy day during move-in. In retrospect we found out that the visual caption head had a newer version of the drill sheets than we did, but nobody knew that at the time. So he's chewing the sopranos out for not going to "their written spots" ("are you getting paid?? are you trying to write the drill?") and he's practically foaming at the mouth as he screams for us to do it again and lets loose with the now infamous:

"If you don't get it friggin right this time JESUS IS GOING TO COME OUT OF MY BODY AND KILL YOU!!!"

Going back to read through this whole thread again, there was a disagreement last year that, fortunately, didn't last too long.

We all have to remember that, as funny as they can be to read here, most of what we've read is contextual, and was actually funnier at the moment. Some of the instructors are very fast with a comment, but it really is meant as an attention getter. No one was harmed in receiving these comments. More often than not, it actually served to relieve some stress.

I used to use the strangest analogies to make a point. One of the snare drummers once said, "Where do you come up with this ####?" I said, "It works, doesn't it?" He had to agree.

There are all sorts of ways to communicate, and sometimes shock is a great attention getter.

So, back to some off field comments. We're touring with VK in 1981. The corps is back after a season off. This is before the corps had a rolling kitchen, and meal time was an adventure. The same snare drummer as above has noticed that everytime we come into a new housing site, the other drum instructor and I are peering out the windows.

Finally he asked, "What are you guys looking for?"

"Restaurants."

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

"hey clarinets, I think its time to get some new reeds, and as in reeds, I mean players."

-mello tech to cracking mellos

arranger-"Did we add a split trumpet part that I didn't know about"

brass caption head-"no, that was the mellos"

arranger-"ARE YOU ######## ME!!!"

Visual caption head-"hey hornline, do you a house over there"

member-"um no"

Visual caption head-"Good, now go find one"

On a particularly bad performance on percussion one night, we had heard rumors we had scored low, but nobody said much. We all got on the bus, and headed out. The percussion staff instructor got on the bus, but didn't say much. We went about a couple of miles and the curiousity got the best of Mike one of the drummers and so he asked the staff instructor...." So, what do you think about our execution tonite ? " The instructor looked at Mike, paused a bit to think of the right words to say at that moment and replied........ " Well Mike, I'm beginning to think it's not such a bad idea. "

This is directly attributable to John McKay, first coach of the then atrocious Tampa Bay Bucaneers. Back in 1976, one of his best-known quips came when he was asked in a postgame press conference, "What do you think about your team's execution?" McKay responded, "I'm all for it!"