Staff Quotes

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dutch Boy '84, teetering on the brink of the semi-finals cut-off. One of those rehearsals where things seemed to be getting worse instead of better. Young Marc Sylvester on the scaffolding, calling down to the DM:

"Tyrone, staht them again, before I puke."

Sorry to say this one came my way...

In rehearsal one time I was having a bad playing day (along with the rest of the hornline) and Larry Markiewicz stopped us, asked me to come down front, and then YELLED so as to be sure the entire hornline could hear...

"LOOK! Just because you're the soloist doesn't mean you're any GOOD! It just means you're the best we have! Now get the hell out of here and work on it!"

At the time I was devastated... now, it's one of my favorite stories to tell... :doh:

Dutch Boy '84 - Marc Sylvester (to the drum major, during one of those rehearsals when things were going from bad to worse): "Tyrone - start them again, before I puke."

Fred O.

DB Staff '84 - 8'8

After listening to him on the San Antonio commentary, I'd say he hasn't changed a bit :doh:

Sorry to say this one came my way...

In rehearsal one time I was having a bad playing day (along with the rest of the hornline) and Larry Markiewicz stopped us, asked me to come down front, and then YELLED so as to be sure the entire hornline could hear...

"LOOK! Just because you're the soloist doesn't mean you're any GOOD! It just means you're the best we have! Now get the hell out of here and work on it!"

At the time I was devastated... now, it's one of my favorite stories to tell... :doh:

another " soloist " tale:

We were doing drill practice outdoors for the first time. We made a visual move in which everybody went left as the drill move was designed except one member...... me......I goofed and went right, then we all turned around. The instructor made us all stop. He came over to me and the conversation went something like this:

Instructor : " Son,... are you going to play a solo here that I'm not aware of " ?

Me : " No "

Instructor : " Would you LIKE to play a solo, here ?

Me: " No,... not particularly " ( others in line trying to hold back laughter )

Instructor : " Do you want to get back in line " ?

Me : " Yes "

Instructor : " how badly " ?

Me: " a lot "

Instructor : " enough to give me 10 push ups ? "

Me " No !..... ahh..... I mean.. " yes "

Instructor ( smiling ) : "Ok..... gimme 15 and get back in line "

Edited by BRASSO

One of my favorites:

Instructor: Joe, What was THAT!!!

Joe: I Don't know!

Instructor: Joe, Do it again, and I'll hang you from your eyelids and kick you in the balls until you blink!!!!

Edited by cavalier81

Speaking of Marc Sylvester, I had the privilege to watch him rehearse the blue knights for two days in a row in Pasco, WA. Let's just say that between the amount of cigarettes he went through combined with all of his awesome commentary, I was thoroughly entertained. :doh: