Favorite Soloists.

I looked through the whole thread and cannot believe Morgan Larson from the '85 and '86 Madison Scouts is not mentioned. He was unbelievable...especially the cadenza solo from '86. You talk about being hung out to dry...but he nailed it every single time. I marched Bluecoats that year, and we saw Madison a lot. I never heard him so much as waver a bit. As a fellow soloist of that same time period, I must admit...I never missed their show when we were in the same show because he was downright inspiring to listen to!!!

Yeah, Lunchbox was good, but look at who's shoes he had to fill--Sean Owens!!!!

I remember in '82 the Kilts were at the same sight as Madison and a couple of their members were making fun of the "skirt". Sean comes up and shakes his finger at them and says "no, no, don't make fun of them, they used to be all male too!". A true hero of mine! In fact, he is right in the middle of "Strawberry Soup" on my pc, circa '82 in Montreal.

Edited by D. MacKinley Riebesehl

Barbara Maroney: wow.

Mike Collins: mmm... music.

db

• 1 year later...

Greg Mataruga - 1985

My DCI Picks:

Shaun Owens (Sorpanno)- Madison 83 Strawberry Soup

Hunter Moss (Soprano) - Spirit 84 - Blues in the Night

Tony Gambaro (Soprano) along with Greg Mataruga - Avant Garde 83-84 Especially

Dave Lang (Baritone)- Colts 85

BD 83 Baritone in Everybody loves the Blues (just plain sick!!!)

Mike Collins (Soprano) - BD 85 Trilogy

And the ultimate soloist - Barbara Maroney - Garfield Mello - nuff said.

James Hosmer (Baritone) - Royal Grenadiers 82-84, Phantom Regiment 85-89

Edited by bmroth1

Jon Schipper - 93,95,96 Madison - if his knee had not gone out in 94 he'd been the lead soloist then too! His 96 finals performance was just off the charts! The 96 opener with Schipper in the lead is one of my favoriate drum corps pieces of all time! You newbees to drum corps need to take a listen.

Someone asked about what some of the old legendary soloists are doing now.

Well...... Kenny "Ace" Petersen, still performs regularly with Mighty St. Joe's Alumni Corps.

How does he sound, at age 78?

TREMENDOUS !

Edited by markdewine

someone mentioned the '90 devs tommy show, but i wasn't sure which soloist they were talking about. was it the great work at the beginning of the closer? one of my all time favorite's too. an old college roommate of mine was actually his seat partner in '90, told me what a great guy he was. he also said that the solo he played at finals was not as written by wayne downey, that he came up with it on his own, and without telling anyone ahead of time played it during a run through at some point in the year. he said at the end of the run, wayne looked at him, said, "if you can do it every time, and i mean every single time, you can keep it." and that was that. cool story, i always thought.

Talking about the guy with the glasses? That's Larry Shane - He was my lead trumpet tech at Crown. He said the same thing though, "You better hit it every time." Hahaha. He gave me tons of crap after San Antonio, it was amusing (and frustrating). Love him to death, great guy. I know he posts here..... :)

One of my favorite solos is the flugel solo from Cavies Bond show.

Non-brass solos.. 03 BD opening snare soloists, and closing snare soloist. The look on his face is intense. Like camping.