Alumni spectacular

Riggi is either 81 or 82. I first meet him when he wrote for and instructed the then Meadville Thunderbirds (now Erie) circa 1963. If Mike Siglow is around I'm sure he will gives us the accurate info.

I was thinking Riggi was in his 80s but I didn't want to say that if he wasn't. I know he's up there and still playing great. A nice man too.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 alumni corps have won a prize last year for best crowd appreciation after a vote of the fans :

It was Scout House, Caballeros Alumni and Bridgemen.

Are there prizes of that kind this year ?

]I performed with the Crusaders Sr. of Boston and haved mixed feelings about the award for crowd appreciation. First of all, I can't complain about the three corps voted most entertaining. They did the most complete visual shows, and that takes extra effort for members in our age group. They deserved the recognition they got. I probably woulded voted for them too. So there is absolutely no sour grapes on my part. We just have to be aware that this could become a popularity contest with the larger corps and their fans cramming the ballot box each year. If there should be a competitive "Alumni Division" of DCA... that is another issue, and I feel most alumni corps personnel would not be in favor of it.

Bossop

If there should be a competitive "Alumni Division" of DCA... that is another issue, and I feel most alumni corps personnel would not be in favor of it.

I would not be in favor of it either,.........................while it is very true these groups and many others that perform in the spectacular put in tons of time, and do present visual packages worthy of the regognition they do get,.................I would be in favor of a system of selecting the corps for this show that provides equal access, like a lottery or rating system,.............. or something,................larger corps with visual packages getting a leg up would be all right with me too for this show,...............kinda hard to verify this tho as the invites come out rather early, so planning can take place, but something could be worked out,..................

If there should be a competitive "Alumni Division" of DCA... that is another issue, and I feel most alumni corps personnel would not be in favor of it.

Bossop

Personally, I don't see competitive alumni corps even as a possibility. One of the main things that allows us to have the members that we do is having such a 'light' schedule for both practice and shows. By competing, a corps would would simply have to increase the number of practices, which in turn would cost the corps members because alot of people couldn't make it as often as would then be needed.

Bill

Four of the Alumni Corps performing at the DCA Spectacular will also perform at the Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps Show "Keeping the Memories" August 4 starting at 6:30 at East Field, Glens Falls, NY. Sponsored by the Fort Edward Lions Club and Excelsior All- Age Drum & Bugle Corps from Albany, NY/Pittsfield, MA

Caballeros Alumni

Preston Scout House

Crusaders Sr.

Optimists

Light Brigade

Saint Kevin’s

Exhibition by Excelsior Drum & Bugle Corps

http://www.alumnidrumcorp.com/

Call 518-747-4942 for information and tickets.

If we except the DCA Alumni Spectacular,

in which cities are the other big alumni shows ?

What are the dates and the corps on the line-up ?

[/quot

I'm not for Alumni Corps competing! We're out there to have fun! And to Bring back the memories.

"Keeping the Memories" Alumni Show August 4, Glens Falls, NY at East Field. Make it a Drum Corps Reunion!!

All of the Corps at one time have competed in the Albany - Troy - Schenectady, NY and Pittsfield, MA areas. Now they are coming back to not to compete but to have fun and to reminisce.

Edited by bluemuen

Riggi is either 81 or 82. I first meet him when he wrote for and instructed the then Meadville Thunderbirds (now Erie) circa 1963. If Mike Siglow is around I'm sure he will gives us the accurate info.

You are the closest Gene, he celebrated his 81st birthd,...opps, the 42nd anniversary of his 39th birthday a couple of months ago. After your 39th birthday each year is celebrated as an anniversary of your 39th birthday. This way you can still feel young. :worthy:

You should know by now that 70 is the new 60 and 60 is the new 50.

I'm 65 and and march in both Scout House and Bridgemen and love every minute of it.

Three ranks to my left in SH is a 73 year old baritone (I think he'll be 74 by the Alumni Spectacular) who plays loud and long and marches with the best of us. And, like you Yankee Rebels, the SH average is also 60+.

Isn't this fun?

Les Diplomates average age is 58.

So, 58 is the new 48.

Go young men, go !

Personally, I don't see competitive alumni corps even as a possibility. One of the main things that allows us to have the members that we do is having such a 'light' schedule for both practice and shows. By competing, a corps would would simply have to increase the number of practices, which in turn would cost the corps members because alot of people couldn't make it as often as would then be needed.

Bill

I know how there could be a competitive alumni division.....

Pass out ballots with all the alumni corps that will be present at the show that night, and have the fans vote... make it part of their ticket in or something so you can verify the results... meaning joe schmo didn't vote 2,000 times for his favorite group.

Alumni corps to me is going out and entertaining the crowd.... Well, what better judges to have then, than the crowd!!! Let the real judges tabulate scores (if there's more than just alumni) or sit back and enjoy the performances too. This way if an alumni corps goes out on the field and puts on a show with drill, they have the same odds of winning as the corps that did a standstill on the field.

You could create a trophy that the corps who wins will have to bring back the next year or something OR take the winners of these shows and have them fill spots for the show at DCA Championships... kinda like a win and you're in thing... If they would win 2 of these shows, then at the 2nd show, whoever placed 2nd would get the spot.

Just some food for thought

I know how there could be a competitive alumni division.....

Pass out ballots with all the alumni corps that will be present at the show that night, and have the fans vote... make it part of their ticket in or something so you can verify the results... meaning joe schmo didn't vote 2,000 times for his favorite group.

Alumni corps to me is going out and entertaining the crowd.... Well, what better judges to have then, than the crowd!!! Let the real judges tabulate scores (if there's more than just alumni) or sit back and enjoy the performances too. This way if an alumni corps goes out on the field and puts on a show with drill, they have the same odds of winning as the corps that did a standstill on the field.

You could create a trophy that the corps who wins will have to bring back the next year or something OR take the winners of these shows and have them fill spots for the show at DCA Championships... kinda like a win and you're in thing... If they would win 2 of these shows, then at the 2nd show, whoever placed 2nd would get the spot.

Just some food for thought

I'm not sure that the alumni corps should compete.

But let's imagine how it could work.

You give a ballot paper to each fan at the gate at the end of the Alumni show or when he is going out of the stadium.

He fills it and put it in the box.

The results and awards are given Sunday night at the end of the DCA competition.