Elitism of Former and Current Marching Members

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sense elitism in those who have or do march drum corps?

• Yes, and I have marched
    • Yes, and I have not marched
    • No, and I have marched
    • No, and I have not marched

I think everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion...but there are SOME things that people who have never marched drum corps will never understand...and no amount of spectatorship will ever change that.

Maybe it is that people ARE elitest (and I have seen it...from marchers of EVERY era)...or maybe non-marchers feel insecure.

I was in a fraternity in college and I can tell you there was a big difference in noticing how the way things worked on campus before I was a member (before I even pledged) and AFTER I was a member. My friends who werent greek give me lots of opinions...but there's nothing I can really do to sway them because there are things you just dont understand if you havent gone through the experience.

And no you dont need to have directed and produced a movie to be able to say that it was good or bad...but I think your opinion on HOW to produce or direct a movie would be better validated if you had directly relevant experience....because watching movies and being a fan can give you insight...but it wont necessarily teach you how to tweak the audio or set up the lights....

...and people dont need to have served in public office to vote...but this country would certainly be in better shape if people took the time to learn more about what they're voting for....or maybe if people just voted at all....

If you cant march..then volunteer for a corps during their summer tour...its the next best way to get the experience....

...so little of drum corps happens on the football during contest time that most fans see (and most probably will only see the one broadcast shown of finals)....the great majority happens on the bus..during rehearsals and mealtimes...and in the gyms...for those of us who were lucky :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, some do act that way, and then some don't.

I never marched, but I am educated enough to know:

1. Gone\Bad tone quality

2. Bad\Out of sync visual

3. Dirty feet\Clean marching

4. Over playing

5. Clean playing

6. "Goosebumps" moments

7. DCI History

Etc...

No I never slept on gym floors, busted my butt out in the hot sun (atleast not in DCI), road the bus all summer, etc... but I have had many students that did go on to march.

To say I don't know what I am talking about would be ignorant. I might not have been right there beside you on the field, the bus or in the gym but I do know sometimes what I am talking about. I have been around Drum Corps and in the stands as long as the age outs this year have been alive. Now, I will admit not everyone is a Drum Corps fanatic like I am, and I am in no way saying that me "being around" drum corps for the magority of my life is a substitute for marching.

It is hard to make a blanket statement about people, cause not everyone fits the statement.

Aw, gee, guys--I'm sorry that I offended everybody--especially you, Hrothgar.

Oh, you left off the "I don't care what you think" option on the poll, so I didn't participate.

There is certainly some elitism on the part of individual posters, but I don't get the sense that the general tenor of the board is elitist. More specifically, I never marched in a corps, but no one has ever used that fact to attack any of my posts.

Which is understandable. Given that drum corps is a SPECTATOR event, it would be rather silly to dismiss the opinion of said SPECTATORS. For those of you who do harbor these elistist feelings, let me ask you this--When you marched, did the applause of those who have marched sound any different than that of those who did not march corps?

Edited by jthomas666

We have a guy over on the BD bard who never marched corps (i think he didn't discover the activity until after he'd hit 21, which was the age out age for him).

So he never marchedc...yet he often has insightful commentary on shows he DOES see...no one comes down on him because he didn;t march...well...not the board long-termers,,,,the young punks come down on anyone.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. At the same time, you would do well to recognize that your opinion is going to be given different weight by others according to your level of experience/expertise. This is life. Deal with it.

I've seen this issue from both sides, having been an enthusiatic fan with only high school marching experience, then marching in a small senior corps and participating on the instructional side with a few different groups. There's an incredible amount of information and perspective that you get from participating that you can't read in a book, on an internet forum or take a class for. I'm sure if I were ever to be involved at an even higher level, I would learn even more.

It's all about how you present yourself. In my experience, when you present yourself with a little humility and actually display some insight, even the very top echelon of the drum corps community will listen and discuss things with you on an equal level.

When you come across as a braying jackass know-it-all(god knows, I've worn that hat more than I'd like to admit) and have no relevant experience to back yourself up, then you're going to get sent to bed without supper.

I think its pretty simple really. Everyone whether they have marched corps or not can have an opinion. And everyone may also weigh that opinion based on different factors, among them, whether the opiner has ever marched drum corps. Depending on the subject matter, marching experience may be germane or it may not.

Edited by Scerpella

Is it possible we're confusing elitism with snobbery?

Drum corps is elite because more people don't do it than do it. Tiddly-winks is elite because more people don't do it than do it.

We can be elite without being snobs.

I've never been a quarterback but I know when one throws an interception.

Sums it up right there.

Sometimes there can be awkward moments. One time I was at a show chatting with a young gal and asked her what corps she was in/from. She kind of bowed her head, shuffled her feet and said "I never marched Corps before, but I'd like to join SCV". I felt a bit embarassed and didn't know quite what to do, because I just assumed that she was in a corps. Hopefully she is now. She seemed like a nice kid.