DCI.org Fan Network

I might be more inclined to buy the year long subscription is there were some assurances that there will be a steady diet of updated content through the off-season... but as it stands now, it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money for three months of fresh content.

I completely agree. As much as they try to spin it, their product is a strictly seasonal (summer) product. $90 for 3 months is $30 per month, about $1 per day. That's a bit much especially when you look at last year's prices.

I just contacted dci.org. Here's the letter I wrote to them...

DCI.org,

I writing you because after reviewing your new Fan Network, I'm concerned that the price you are charging to view the live streaming events this summer is just too high.

Last year, I purchased a 3 month Season Pass subscription for the summer. I believe it was $39.95 for the entire summer. This allowed me to "tune in" to all live streaming events all summer long.

This year, your Platinum membership costs $89. That's a $123% price increase from last year!!! Don't you think that's a bit steep for a one year change?

I understand that you can purchase individual live streaming events separately (although I don't think the prices have been posted yet), but I imagine these will be expensive as they are single event pay-per-view subscriptions.

At the end of the day, I must say that I am very disappointed in your new pricing structure. I know others are as well. Instead of trying to attact new fans with reasonable prices, you are turning them away. As a loyal DCI.org visitor and patron, I expected better from you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They finally offer everything that this forum has been complaining about, including video on-demand, and not having to watch those shows at a specific time, and now everyone's in a tizzy about $20. Seriously, do you guys think bandwidth is free? Multi-camera transmissions are somehow magically free? I think there are some people here who got spoiled by last year's freebies. Last season had several unexpected shows, none of which were scheduled because I guess they were trying stuff out. They get it figured out, and now you guys complain?

Agreed. At first I thought the price was a tad high, then when I asked a few friends if they wanted to chip in with me, it became a pretty nice bargain. Yay for more summer drum corps parties! :)

Man, you guys kill me.

"EnCorps! Video

Watch performances from your favorite Drum Corps International units... whenever you want...as often as you want! Available just days following tour events in Annapolis, MD, San Antonio, TX and The 2007 DCI World Championships Semifinals from the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA, you'll enjoy individual corps performances over and over again... all from the convenience of your computer."

They finally offer everything that this forum has been complaining about, including video on-demand, and not having to watch those shows at a specific time, and now everyone's in a tizzy about $20. Seriously, do you guys think bandwidth is free? Multi-camera transmissions are somehow magically free? I think there are some people here who got spoiled by last year's freebies. Last season had several unexpected shows, none of which were scheduled because I guess they were trying stuff out. They get it figured out, and now you guys complain?

Insufferable.

I can definitely see why some people think that the new site is cluttered, etc., but I can't stand how so many here jump up and act entitled. Lame.

I would have no problem paying more this year for live streaming. I understand they were working out kinks last year. But what I'm concerned with is the 123% PRICE INCREASE over last year. That is ridiculous. It's as bad as gas prices, maybe worse!

I would have no problem paying more this year for live streaming. I understand they were working out kinks last year. But what I'm concerned with is the 123% PRICE INCREASE over last year. That is ridiculous. It's as bad as gas prices, maybe worse!

Since they're promising 400% more shows, and 100% more on-demand (from zero), I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it. Is it more? Sure. Is it optimal? Maybe they know you'll pay for it. Maybe not. I don't know. What I do know is that there weren't that many multi-cam shows. There wasn't any recorded shows that you could call up at any given moment. They probably won't be perfect this year, either, but dude, what they gave for FREE in EXCESS of your $39 last year is going to be charged for. It's just a fact of life. I'm sure they aren't trying to rip anyone off, but at the same time, there are some salaries of talented individuals bringing this stuff, and some serious bandwidth that needs to be paid for.

Man, you guys kill me.

"EnCorps! Video

Watch performances from your favorite Drum Corps International units... whenever you want...as often as you want! Available just days following tour events in Annapolis, MD, San Antonio, TX and The 2007 DCI World Championships Semifinals from the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA, you'll enjoy individual corps performances over and over again... all from the convenience of your computer."

Insufferable.

I can definitely see why some people think that the new site is cluttered, etc., but I can't stand how so many here jump up and act entitled. Lame.

I know as well as anyone about the cost of bandwidth and production, and if the cost went up as a result of those new features, I'd certainly understand.

My issue is the elimination of the summer long subsription. I can justify spending $40 for three months worth of updates and media. But as scarce as I anticipate the off-season being, it's hard to bring myself to drop 90 bones for what basically amounts to 3.5 months of content.

As a consumer, I'm just exercising my right to express my displeasure with the new format. I'd think DCI would be appreciative of having honest feedback from folks like us... might help them figure out why they will probably have a massive drop in subscription revenue if it remains this way. I don't think that's too insufferable at all.

Well, with all that advertising they're dishing out for everybody, it will surely compensate somehow for the increase for the equipment they'll need for the season passes.

I'm just curious about this travel agency aspect of the whole deal that is coming into the picture now.

However, upon further review of the website there are some aspects that are much better. You can find shows within a certain mile radius etc, with a google map for directions etc.

I hope they clean up the front page.

Edited by Lancerlady

I know as well as anyone about the cost of bandwidth and production, and if the cost went up as a result of those new features, I'd certainly understand.

My issue is the elimination of the summer long subsription. I can justify spending $40 for three months worth of updates and media. But as scarce as I anticipate the off-season being, it's hard to bring myself to drop 90 bones for what basically amounts to 3.5 months of content.

As a consumer, I'm just exercising my right to express my displeasure with the new format. I'd think DCI would be appreciative of having honest feedback from folks like us... might help them figure out why they will probably have a massive drop in subscription revenue if it remains this way. I don't think that's too insufferable at all.

Keith, I don't think your well-spoken aversions count. I just care for the "OMFG it's $89!!!!!1!!eleventy1!! That sux0rz".

I think I understand why they'd get rid of a summer account anyhow -- why would they want to sell you anything not annual? I bet 90% of their accounts were the 90-day variety. Considering this is a summer activity, it made little sense.

On the plus side, you can order one show for just $15...

Edited by drumcat