Best 2nd Place Show?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have this recording... DCI Vol 2 on vinyl, with the Blue Stars, Muchachos, Bleu Raeders & Garfield Cadets. They list the Kingsmen from "Placentia, CA" not Anahiem. And it also indicates that "three eastern representatives did not show" which makes me wonder who those corps were? Couldn't have been Bridgemen, cuz they list St. Andrews Bridgemen as there, and Garfield and Muchachos, and of course 27th was 4th that year, so they were there... dur! So maybe Boston, and ? and ? ...

As well, the album notes (written by Dick Blake) also uses the "D" word to describe the weather: "it was just too #### hot..." which I find ironic, since it gets blocked here! :P

Anyway, love that Blue Stars drumline back then... old school at it's finest! Six stroke rolls and singles all over the place!! b**bs

I think it was Boston (down year) and Blessed Sacrement and Blue Rock (the new concept of national touring literally drove them out of business). I know that Sac and the Rock were considered founding members of DCI.

Anyway, for a throwback shout out, Im going with 73 Troop. The only corps to beat Vanguard that year. By my recollection, it was the last of a 60's style show to do well, unfortunately for them they ran across the "next big thing" in Vanguard. Any year before 73 and it would been an historic show.

Faelivrn

POLL CLOSED

UPDATED TALLIES

-----------------------

1972. Blue Stars...xxx

1973. Troopers...x

1974. Madison Scouts...xx

1975. Santa Clara Vanguard

1976. Madison Scouts

1977. Phantom Regiment

1978. Phantom Regiment...x

1979. Phantom Regiment...x

1980. 27th Lancers...xxxxxx

1981. Blue Devils

1982. Santa Clara Vanguard...x

1983. Blue Devils

1984. Blue Devils...xxxxx

1985. Santa Clara Vanguard...x

1986. Santa Clara Vanguard

1987. Santa Clara Vanguard...xxxxxxxxx

1988. Santa Clara Vanguard...x

1989. Phantom Regiment...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1990. The Cavaliers

1991. The Cavaliers

1992. Cadets of Bergen County...x

1993. Star of Indiana...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1994. Cadets of Bergen County

1995. Cadets of Bergen County

1996. ------------

1997. Cadets of Bergen County...xx

1998. Santa Clara Vanguard...xx

1999. ------------

2000. ------------

2001a. Blue Devils

2001b. The Cadets...x

2002. Blue Devils...xx

2003. The Cavaliers...xxxxxxx

2004. Blue Devils...xxxxxxx

2005. The Cavaliers...x

2006. Phantom Regiment...xxxxxx

Top 3

-------------------

1. '89 Phantom...37

2. '93 Star...15

3. '87 SCV...9

Phantom '89 wins in a blowout.

(I wonder if half the people voting for them even read the other poll choices) :P

Well, I can't say I'm suprised. Everybody loves the '89 Phantom Regiment, and for good reason.

Now comes the best of the best.

Well, I can't say I'm suprised. Everybody loves the '89 Phantom Regiment, and for good reason.

Now comes the best of the best.

It was interesting because Star '93 won this vote last year by a similar margin if I recall :sleeping:

Star 93. By a lot.

Not enough unfortunately. :(

It was interesting because Star '93 won this vote last year by a similar margin if I recall :sleeping:

Well, that's fair enough. I never really dug the '93 Star show, anyway. If any corps deserved to win this one, it was the 1989 Phantom Regiment (well...maybe the 1974 Madison Scouts, but that's another story :))