• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2005.

Who's winning right now?

1984 Cadets! :worthy:

My vote is for 1984 Garfield Cadets

I feel that show layed the groundwork that led to 1991 Star of Indiana which I give an honorable mention to (yes I know I am a little biased on that one)

Other HM:

Garfield 83, 85, 87, 2000

BD 86

PR 96

I feel as a whole all the Championship shows have merit in the debate with the exception of only a few from the list.

Ok, let's whittle the list down some . . .

1979. Blue Devils

1984. Garfield Cadets

1985. Garfield Cadets

1986. Blue Devils

1987. Garfield Cadets

1991. Star of Indiana

1992. The Cavaliers

1994. Blue Devils

1996b. Phantom Regiment

2000a. The Cadets

2002 Cavaliers

Now, the finalists

85 Cadets -- Nothing against the 84 show, but 85 was a revelation, particularly with Make Our Garden Grown and the Overture to Candide.

86 Blue Devils -- Tired of this threepeat crap, BD came out and blew everyone else away. The definitive version of Channel One Suite with stunning brass and percussion.

87 Cadets -- Appalachian Spring. The company front. Gently drifting off the field at the end.

96 Phantom -- Watching this show on freaking YouTube brought tears to my eyes. (Sadly, watching the show on the Classic Countdown DVD also brings tears to my eyes, but it's because of the @#$%^@ sound--the battery sounds like they're outside the stadium.)

2002 -- Actually, I like Spin Cycle more than Frameworks. Oh, well.

Winner:

I will repeat: Watching this show on freaking YouTube brought tears to my eyes.

1996 PR

1991 Star of indiana....horns,drum's guard...and drill oh my! oh yea drill too....

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard.....most imotion from the field

1996 Phantom Regiment

Im shocked !!

Not only about the one vote only for 1982 Blue Devils, but 1983 Garfield has NO votes ???

Where are all the votes for 1986 Blue Devils ??

1987 Garfield ???

...ugh, Im a dinosaur.

~G~

'83 and '87 Garfield was HM's of mine. I did my senior year drum major audition to the '83 version of Rocky Point Holiday. :)

I almost love all these shows. . . so it really comes down to favorite. . . and being a musician who loves melody. . .

1984 Garfield Cadets

I know, for the younger crowd, maybe too loud. . . maybe not current-Cavalier drill good. . . but they were an event. . . people ran into the stadium, closed down souvie stands, stopped eating and stood with their jaws hitting the floor that year. . . listen to the silence after spectacular applause. . . the crowd COULD NOT WAIT to see what happened next. . . and when George Zingali's company front hit out of literally nowhere at the end. . . it was officially lights out. . . even for my brass-line heros, the Blue Devils!

Even though the score was close, and the Blue Devils were scary good that night (so good we still talk about them setting standards 23 years later!). . . everyone knew they had just seen the champion. . .

HM: 1991 Star, 2002 Cavaliers, 1987 Garfield Cadets

My friend...there is no such thing as too loud.

"Best First Place Show":

1961: Chicago Cavaliers

1963: Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

1965: Chicago Royal Airs

1968: Racine Kilties

1970: Casper Troopers

Elphaba

You see...it's funny 'cause it's before DCI.

Get it? :worthy: