Drumline Colors

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, interesting little fact I found out recently about Phantom's Carbonplies last year. Apparently they were actually regular Championship drums, just with outer layers of Carbon. Or another take on it...Carbonplies with Maple shells rather than Mahogany. I think the reasoning behind this was for more volume and resonance, and also because the regular Mahogany Carbonplies are STUPID heavy.

Glassmen have been doing the chameleon paint job for a number of years now.

I believe they had that type of finish in '04

'07 was a simple dark red finish with a slight gold sparkle.

'06 was a black drum with a slight gold sparkle

'05 was blue that included flakes of real glass to give it a sparkle finish (the '06 and '07 drums may have used real glass as well but I'm not sure. I know for a fact the '05 drums did)

'04 was the chameleon pain in a red tint.

'03 was still on Pearl so the BASF custom finishes didn't start until '04.

By the way, interesting little fact I found out recently about Phantom's Carbonplies last year. Apparently they were actually regular Championship drums, just with outer layers of Carbon. Or another take on it...Carbonplies with Maple shells rather than Mahogany. I think the reasoning behind this was for more volume and resonance, and also because the regular Mahogany Carbonplies are STUPID heavy.

Actually, they were carbonply on the inside and then a regular outer shell. It was also that way in '06 because that was the way Pearl did the fade finishes for them. it just wouldn't look right with the texture of a carbon ply outer shell.

Is it just me or does the blue in the uniform seem a little darker than last years?

I think it is just because the blue is standing out better. They seemed so bright last year because of the ugly chrome finish they had that didn't fit their uniform at all.

I think it is just because the blue is standing out better. They seemed so bright last year because of the ugly chrome finish they had that didn't fit their uniform at all.

The only chrome line I thought looked good was the Chrome Wall - Northstar. Now that was a drumline!

I was at the Concord and Stocton shows last weekend and feel the need to clarify/update a few things. First off, Blue Devils drums are laquer NOT a wrap. Up close, they are either art, or ugly depending on ones opinion. Yes, they look like the classic Ringo swirl, but no two drums are exactly alike. From up high in the stands they look really good, and that is the point correct? They still sound like Dynasty cardboard boxes. The drums they use to open the show are a Remo product that I could not find on the website so I don't know what Remo calls it. It is basically a shell with holes drilled in the side of it with larger diameter heads stretched across it it. Free floating, held together by the lugs. Tenors are using clear Pinstripes.

SCV's look too yellow to me and could be a darker shade for sure. We'll have too see how they look with the new uni's. The paint job is not as pretty as last years Champagne Sparkle. In my opinion the matching paint on the Pearl bass drum rims makes a huge difference in the total look. Tenors are using White Suede.

Nobody seems to care, but since it's a good organization and the only Premier line, Mandarins are using lacquer black sparkle and they look good.

I'll get to see what the deal is with Academy's Mapex at Stanford.

I was at the Concord and Stocton shows last weekend and feel the need to clarify/update a few things. First off, Blue Devils drums are laquer NOT a wrap. Up close, they are either art, or ugly depending on ones opinion. Yes, they look like the classic Ringo swirl, but no two drums are exactly alike. From up high in the stands they look really good, and that is the point correct? They still sound like Dynasty cardboard boxes. The drums they use to open the show are a Remo product that I could not find on the website so I don't know what Remo calls it. It is basically a shell with holes drilled in the side of it with larger diameter heads stretched across it it. Free floating, held together by the lugs. Tenors are using clear Pinstripes.

SCV's look too yellow to me and could be a darker shade for sure. We'll have too see how they look with the new uni's. The paint job is not as pretty as last years Champagne Sparkle. In my opinion the matching paint on the Pearl bass drum rims makes a huge difference in the total look. Tenors are using White Suede.

Nobody seems to care, but since it's a good organization and the only Premier line, Mandarins are using lacquer black sparkle and they look good.

I'll get to see what the deal is with Academy's Mapex at Stanford.

I'm sorry, but you are misinformed. Those drums are wrapped. Not all wraps are flat or matte like the counter top wraps that Dynasty use. Pearls, Onyx, Sparkles, Glass Glitters, Solids are all hi-gloss wraps. I could easily find that wrap on Jammin' Sam, Drummaker, Drum Foundry and any other drum parts supplier.