Cadets 2007 show

Some of the narration made me feel like I was in a coffee house and someone was reading his free verse poetry. The music in the background was just adding dramatic effect to the words, albeit a great dramatic effect (to sub-par free verse poetry).

To me, the greater depth in this show could be in the music. Move people with music. You will do that so much better than spitting words at us (IMO, of course).

Edited by i_play_percussion

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea.

Hey, you know...why not?

I mean, it's very prevalent now..."The Daily Show" as a fake-news show that people use as a real news source, "Adaptation" was hailed as a breakthrough when it used the concept with "The Orchid Thief"...if we like to crib so much as an art form from popular culture (and, lest we forget...Hop uses the culture argument as a rallying cry for taking the activity in a certain way), we might as well do it.

I want royalties, though. :P

I want royalties, though. :P

Goes without saying. Hop will pay you in starbucks gift cards, of course.

I don't get Starbucks....just go buy a Diet Coke!!! :)

We actually shared a housing site (and the food truck...and the showers) with the cavies once, and it wasnt really a problem :P

Unless you had something against oldies...and I certainly don't.

just found cadets whole show on u tube. and my reaction is ampssuck the whole show seems like a practice, there are some nice moments but non stop naration over what might be a nice music book, guard is incomplete but thats expected. i give it 7th if it dosen't get major revisions.

Edited by bandman28

Voice-overs... Why does it have to be voice-overs?

$1 to George Lucas

I watched their Youtube clips just before working bingo for the corps. Again, I like all the corps, and I will say their show is better than last year's show. I really like their music, but the narration is just bothering me for two reasons.

1. Too much of it and it just detracts from the show.

2. What they are saying is even more bothering. "This I believe" "This we believe" How do they know what everyone in that corps believes? It feels like some psycologist was paid to brainwash the corps into believing some "let's all just be free and love each other" crap. It almost comes across like some evangelist who wants you to believe in something, yet he is not sure what he is preaching about, yet the sense that I get from watching it is that I am offended because I feel as though they are stuffing some message down my throat, and I clearly do not believe in what they are saying, which is way to generalized and completely cheesy.

I realize this is not their intention. But even before the third production you here one guy spew about how in high school he never felt connected or some nonsense like that, and how he knew music or art was where he needed to be. Come on....what is this? Is this someone's sob story? It sounds to me like some self help tape that some pop psycologist put together who believes in nurturing the thoughts of others instead of allowing the clear superiority of philosophy and its direct connection to nature to state things as they are. I can't help but think about the conflict between nurture and nature when I hear this baloney, and I am not sure whether to laugh or whether I should kneel down in prayer due to the sermon I just received.

I actually don't mind the section where they are rehearsing spots and where "instructors" are making comments. That I can see working.

This is a DEAD project (the Narration), and as long as they preach at the audience in a manner similar to some self help tape--and I will go on record and say that I love church and worship--this show is going to suffer. There will be many people who will not want to hear this.

JW

Just watched the show on youtube....I am totally put off by this show. There are parts of the narration that are broken up/interupted by the hornline....the guy is in mid sentence and stops...the hornline does a lick and then he proceeds with the statement which you have already forgotten what he said. thumbs down on this one <**> Shoot...i'd take 06 anyday at least it was confined to one area of the show.