Cadets 2007 show

Far be it for me to EVER compliment the Cadets these days but I was impressed with the drumline - especially since when they cranked it up it basically drowned out the stupid narration. AND you've got to love the 10 person snareline!

Who doesn't like a big, clean, SNARELINE! And their drums look really, really, cool this year. OK - Thats it. I probably won't find anything else good to say about the Cadets this year. It's too bad that these incredibly talented kids have to put up with narration in their show AGAIN this year. Hops will never learn.

Edited by Jazzycat1

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats hilarious to me is that the tone of this and every other cadets thread has changed completely from; 'no, all narration and amps are terrible and I never want to ever hear them say anything ever'...to 'its not that i dont like the narration, i just think the narration is poorly done'. I know there are still people who hold the first viewpoint, but they are fast becoming (a very vocal) minority, while the rest of us are arguing ways that narration could be effective. In the few weeks that the narration clips has been up, the crusade against narration has gone largely from an argument of principle, to an argument of quality. If i were a certain corps director, despite all the negative hype, I think I'd be pretty happy with the way things are going.

BINGO!

I believe...that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and then find someone whose life has given them vodka...and have a party.

:-P

BINGO!

Lol...i forgot i even made that post...it seems like ages ago. I guess in a way it was, since it was before the first show. But its just becoming more and more true.

I believe...that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and then find someone whose life has given them vodka...and have a party.

:-P

I like this man...you and I need to meet at a show and have said party :P

BINGO!

haha, I've noticed this too...I've even seen it taken a step further saying the narration is ok, there is just too much of it. This of course gets into a question of "how much is too much?" -and that is nothing more than personal opinion.

Like any change in drum corps (stationary pits, valved instruments, Bb instruments) , as time goes on, things will normalize and people will become less hostile to it once they realize it doesn't spell then end of the activity.

I personally enjoy how the activity is always changing and moving forward to try new things and explore new ideas, it is what keeps things interesting for me.

I didn't like any of the narration, no surprise there. I did, believe it or not, like Bluecoats marration and thought it was clever and made that segment work.

The Cadets narration is to cheesy, pull on your heart strings crap. I don't know how many times in the opener they used the phrase "we are all human beings."

In terms of show design the problem I found with the narration is it sets up a very repepetetive pattern that I thought got tiresome.

Background music for narration, big hit; background music for narration, big hit; background music for narration, big hit; ad nuasium.

I felt that many times the music was not allowed to grow and develop. The music didn't stop, but it had to fade away when sometimes I would have liked it just to keep growing and building.

I also didn't like the staging. They stage the narrator for that section and work around them. Therefore the guard spends most of the show way off to the sides or in back. Except for a very poorly done feature in the practice section, I have no idea what the gaurd did and how they were adding anything to the show; not because they are bad (I have no idea) but because the are staged into obscurity. The battery spends most of the time hidden in the backfield.

In terms of show design the problem I found with the narration is it sets up a very repepetetive pattern that I thought got tiresome.

Background music for narration, big hit; background music for narration, big hit; background music for narration, big hit; ad nuasium.

I felt that many times the music was not allowed to grow and develop. The music didn't stop, but it had to fade away when sometimes I would have liked it just to keep growing and building.

I also didn't like the staging. They stage the narrator for that section and work around them. Therefore the guard spends most of the show way off to the sides or in back. Except for a very poorly done feature in the practice section, I have no idea what the gaurd did and how they were adding anything to the show; not because they are bad (I have no idea) but because the are staged into obscurity. The battery spends most of the time hidden in the backfield.

Hey man...i appreciate that you are trying to analyze the show, and not just say that the narration sucks, but you might want to use facts when you do that. I just watched the openner, and the guard is wrapped around the FRONT and the sides most of the time. In addition, they are actually integrated with the hornline, something we hardly dd the past 2 years. And as far as the formula of the show they use...its the same as every other corps, just replace a couple of the 'narration breaks' with 'pit / drum breaks'. I get that some people would rather hear pit than narration, but thats a choice, not a flawed show design.

marration

Mar:

1. to damage or spoil to a certain extent; render less perfect, attractive, useful, etc.; impair or spoil: That billboard mars the view. The holiday was marred by bad weather.

2. to disfigure, deface, or scar: The scratch marred the table.

Never have I seen such an appropriate typo. :P

And as far as the formula of the show they use...its the same as every other corps, just replace a couple of the 'narration breaks' with 'pit / drum breaks'.

good point...it is really tiresome to me to watch more than half a dozen shows in one sitting because they all are basically the same thing, Drum corps needs a little variety these days in show pacing