The Cavaliers 2007 Show

This is all a matter of opinion. I'd rather have a corps not march AT ALL while playing than have a corps march and play the whole time but use narration. So I have no problem with the Cavaliers show...in fact, I absolutely love it.

Yeah...we get it. Hardly a worthy contribution to this discussion though. Id rather have a corps not play at all, and just march the whole time while somebody sings top 40 charts. Is that really relavent though?

Edited by euponitone

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, I don't notice the whole issue of "marching while playing". As a fan I'll pay attention the visual package and the music book as seperate entities, and I'll consider how they mesh with each other to create a complete product, but that's as far as I go.

From what I saw on the webcast, I really liked the first movement. It felt like a championship opener, full of style and entertainment. It did feel, though, like the show lost steam as it went, undoubtedly due to the incomplete nature of what we saw. Right now, obviously, this show isn't ready to bring home a championship. But no one has that show yet either. I'm not giong to be too critical of any show in June, because anything I have to say, I'm sure the designers of that show see it too. I'll wait to judge what they have by August.

Yeah, I'm a Cavaliers fan, but I've been saying the same thing about this year's Cadets' show, as well.

honestly, I don't notice the whole issue of "marching while playing". As a fan I'll pay attention the visual package and the music book as seperate entities, and I'll consider how they mesh with each other to create a complete product, but that's as far as I go.

From what I saw on the webcast, I really liked the first movement. It felt like a championship opener, full of style and entertainment. It did feel, though, like the show lost steam as it went, undoubtedly due to the incomplete nature of what we saw. Right now, obviously, this show isn't ready to bring home a championship. But no one has that show yet either. I'm not giong to be too critical of any show in June, because anything I have to say, I'm sure the designers of that show see it too. I'll wait to judge what they have by August.

Yeah, I'm a Cavaliers fan, but I've been saying the same thing about this year's Cadets' show, as well.

Hmmm...I absolutely love the brilliant weaving of Invention and And So It Goes that serves as the second number. Awesome. And the Pressure percussion feature is just godly. The fact that I know they will be adding so many more layers to this show (as well as adding an entire fourth movement) and reworking the drill makes me salivate even more... :worthy:

Edited by Hrothgar15

Matt is my hero!

:worthy:

Matt is my hero!

:worthy:

lol...i like how 'superhopkins' has black hands :P

I did not notice that! that is too funny!

I think there was a corps in the past that could blend musicality with number of notes while also marching and playing at the same time. I guess it is all up to the organization and how much they are willing to bite off, challenge both the members and staff, and then build a plan to make it all come together.

I, for one, can fully understand when some drill is not finalized but as has been said above the typical approach is to write a mroe compicated musical book and if anything needs to be changed take care of it during season. Most times the book is not made more difficult throughout the summer. Now the visual is the direct opposite in most cases.

As I said this is only my opinion but what I prefer out of a corps and what excites me.

Hah, I made that picture. It's just the lighting

well who was the sax player?? :worthy: