Madison Scouts 2007

Umm...

This is not a shot, just a reminder of a great corps legacy. :)

point well made and I accept it. At this point the return to Division I status is to keep the legacy alive since it is looking like Div. II/III will be forever diminished or disappear all together. That is another dissertation on its own, but at least DCI is giving those corps the opportunity to control their own destiny with the association.

I think Blue Stars would disagree that a "bunch of Madison Scouts" put them where they are today. Blue Stars admin and leadership started moving the corps about 5 years ago to position themselves to be here today. They had the spark plug of Greg Struve and a few Madison Scouts ended up there due to networking, etc. But, I have to give credit to the Blue Stars for reacting to a situation within the drum corps community.

Blue Stars were able to maintain a very successful Div. III corps. Most of those members in those corps worked just as hard (harder) and were as talented or moreso than Div. I members. I respected Blue Stars then as a member of the Scouts. I've known most of their leaders since 1987. No disrespect intended.

But, the corps has figured out how to support 2 Full time directors and move back into Div. I. Now they have recruited a very professional, dedicated and talented (don't read that previous administrations and staff were not), Div. I staff, that is moving the corps forward in Div. I competition. Their members are talented as well.

In My Opinion, the top 17 corps are so much more competitive these past few years, than they have been in the past 20 years. I'm sure someone has facts that offset my anecdotal reference, but from my experience, the top 17 (and a few more) are at such a high level of competency, that they are more competitive, yet educational to their members.

B)

Drum Corps is/are indeed fragile. Many of our greatest organizations are teetering on the brink of not being here due to financial weakness. I hope they can ALL find a way to build long term financial stability that leads to successful youth musical/educational organizations; competitive or not.

so, in summation, it is up to the current leadership, alumni and supporters of the Madison Scouts to develop and fulfill a vision of what the corps should be in the short term and the long term. There are more than two philosophies, but in our history there have been basically two presented, although it is simplified: competition as the focus for success, or the brotherhood as the focus for success. Both have worked within our organization, but we need to come to some clarity on mission, vision and core values while also developing a financial plan that allows the organization to successfully fulfill its mission. The debates are endless and healthy for the organization as long as we can say we love the organization and will do anything to see the organization and the members succeed in fulfilling the mission.

MYNWA, your brother in drum corps,

Brent

Madison Scouts 87-96, 07

North Force Div. III 94-96

Capital Sound Div. II 97-2000

Minnesota Brass All Age 2001-2007

Edited by Brent

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV '05 anyone?

At this point, I'm thinking no. The corps behind Madison are just as close to them as Madison is to the corps ahead of them. Plus Academy, PC and Mandarins aren't at this show today.

At this point, I'm thinking no. The corps behind Madison are just as close to them as Madison is to the corps ahead of them. Plus Academy, PC and Mandarins aren't at this show today.

2 weeks ago, Madison was 6 points from the 12th place corps. Now they are 2.5 down from 12th. But that's just numbers.

I believe only one of these to be in the same category. Even if another might have beat them earlier in the season. I think we're seeing two halves of the same season being drastically different from one another.

I believe only one of these to be in the same category. Even if another might have beat them earlier in the season. I think we're seeing two halves of the same season being drastically different from one another.

I agree. Unfortunately, there are many, many on here who make blatant comments against a group, simply because that is the popular thing to do.

If we go back and look at the progressions of the numbers over the course of the season, most would have their opinions changed. However, most look at the numbers and say, that others are just as close, when they do not see that those groups have not changed, or have changed very little in the numbers department. But then again, that would take entirely too much thought and research, and we all know that DCP is a great place to spout off banter without having a single fact, while others give informed opinions and facts, but are not taken seriously.

Loud and good. Or is that Loud is good?

it is good nonetheless.

There was a loud ending, I think it was in 2002, that wasn't earned. It just sort of arrived. Now that I actually know that it is coming, I can pay attention to the build-up on Wednesday.

I heard from a Scout mom today, that the "new" closer drill is done after some long rehearsals.

Best part for me is......................... A new ending. A LOUD ending.

YES!!!!!!!!

YEEEE HAWWWWWW!!!! Finally I can get back on DCP - my piece of crap internet provider <**> Can't wait to hear the new ending!!!

One more thing I found out from the Scouts mom this morning. The intro/Uninvited is now not the warm up, but PART OF THE SHOW. Yes. Obviously this is a great idea. I think it's the best part of the show.

Very glad to hear this - they spent so much time and effort learning and cleaning how to get on the field - now they will get some credit for it and be judged while doing it.

Oh man, I can't wait to see all the new changes!! Common finals...

Very glad to hear this - they spent so much time and effort learning and cleaning how to get on the field - now they will get some credit for it and be judged while doing it.

Now the color guard needs to actually add some color....and the percussion needs to get a lot more aggressive.....and they will be fine! I thought all along that the Scouts would be top 15....which is quite an accomplishment in and of itself...but I think they could actually pull off a finals trip....less than 3 points away from a finals appearance....not out of the question.