DCI Finals 1996, 1999, 2000

I remember on the 96 video when the announcer said, "In second place.........which is actually a tie for 1st place..." and the Regiment staff exploded. It looked like some of them were actually shot out of a cannon they jumped so high.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2000 a "no more ties" chant was maintained for a sustained period. It was even revived for a caption tie.

And on the live broadcast that year (on PBS - remember those?) Rondo had to 'splain that Drum Corps fans hate ties because it was so loud.

From a historical standpoint - IIRC there were some lower place ties (example Seneca Optimists and Freelancers in 77 tied for 8th) - were there boos then?

Thanks for this! I remember everything about that night. My friends and I had been up in the stands, and we decided to try to get onto the field for the announcement of the scores. We had just managed to make it into the endzone when they announced Cadets in third place, and I was jumping like a giddy school child with my friends Jen and Cappe.

We were all saying "Regiment got second! Regiment got second! Woooooo!" and were so happy about it...so massive was our inferiority complex. It took me a good 10 seconds to get it through my head that Brant Crocker had just announced that Regiment had tied for the title.

ott.jpg

buicks2.jpg

From a historical standpoint - IIRC there were some lower place ties (example Seneca Optimists and Freelancers in 77 tied for 8th) - were there boos then?

I think I recall gasps and such from the crowd when the tie for 4th between Phantom and BD was announced in 1990. Phantom was 6th going into Finals night while BD was third.

Edited by Tekneek

29 titles in all divisions. All due to score inflation.

Too bad that Renegades won't add to that tally anytime soon. In DCA there's a "penalty" for being outside of the Northeast. :P

I was in Orlando in 1996. I was rooting for Phantom. The crowd reaction was all over the place when the tie was announced. I actually thought Phantom should have won it out-right. Blue Devils in semis blew the walls down with an awesome performance that I never thought could lose, but in finals Phantom (IMHO) nailed them. The kids from both corps were excited to share the title, and cheered each other on during the encores. That's what mattered in the end---nothing else.

Those three finals described in less than 10 seconds....

1996: yay!

1999: boo...but yay! SCV SCV SCV SCV

2000: boo...but yay!...no more ties...no more ties...no more ties...

I still find it amazing that DCI went 25 years without a tie at the top, then had three in five years, and hasn't had any since then. What was it about 1996-2000 that led to those ties?

I still find it amazing that DCI went 25 years without a tie at the top, then had three in five years, and hasn't had any since then. What was it about 1996-2000 that led to those ties?

The fear of Y2K.

In 2000, I think people were feeling very frustrated. DCI went 24 years with very few ties, and new for the championship. Now all of the sudden the tie seemed to be a fixture of the event. It really just didn't feel right.

I also don't think that many felt Cavaliers were really good enough to tie Cadets in that particular year. I certainly didn't talk to anyone who felt that they were.