I'm calling it right here...

Actually, it would be more proper to say "Das stimmt nicht."

The verb stimmen means "to be true," so a statement either goes "Das stimmt" or "Das stimmt nicht."

dang it! you beat me to it :-P

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Crown to make it they obviously have to topple some of the big boys, and someone mentioned that Bluecoats and Cadets seem like the likely candidates.....and all I can say is, Uh, What?! (with my Geico commercial in mind).

Bluecoats have demonstrated in every caption that they are competitive in the top 3, and seems unlikely that they would be candidates for falling out of the top 5. Cadets have been in first or highest scoring in the nation for about 90% of the shows this season, so what would lead one to believe they are beatable?

To me, after seeing live and on ADP it would seem like Cavies, PR and SCV are more vulnerable because they aren't consistent in the top 3. However, its hard to judge since we haven't had a complete head to head match up.

Cripes I wish I was on tour this summer. I just can't believe how cool all this is. This HAS to be the best and most competitive season yet.

DW

I'll put money on the fact that bluecoats won't do any better than Crown does in knocking off the "big dogs". Crown has been just as competative in nearly every caption having won nearly every caption...just not on the same night.

I'll put money on the fact that bluecoats won't do any better than Crown does in knocking off the "big dogs".

I'll put money on Bluecoats being big dogs. I think they are Top 3 (and that's based on nothing but a feeling at this point...it's July, obviously). Call it gut.

And now this thread is going to get shut down because we're wagering. Please folks, no wagering. It's a youth activity.

You are correct, they should not have and the top five is so heavy as it is right now..........I AM WILLING TO WAGER DUBLIN DR PEPPER THAT THEY WONT MAKE TOP 5.........

TOP 5

SCV

BD

Cavies

Bloooooooo

and

CADETS

THATS 5 my friend.

NOTE: The PR alum called PR out of the top 5. It has been known to happen. And the Texan has begun to rub off on others (Dublin DP betting!).

Um...try again...you forgot one and a corps you listed will NOT make top 5.

Give you a hint...they are from Illinois.

Tom, are you saying Cavies will drop from top 5? They only placed 3rd the other night for the second time, like, this whole decade. I just don't see it happening.

"The Mavericks are the team to beat and the Suns have caught the Spurs."

The Spurs did not beat the Mavs. The Warriors did not beat the Mavs. Don Nelson beat the Mavs. And he didn't have to have proprietary information (or is it data?) to do it. He built the team--why wouldn't he have taken notes on how to beat his own team?

OK, now how about some reasoning as to why instead of a flat out "no?"

Crown's show was better than BK, they were ahead of SCV for a majority of the season, and they should have beaten Cadets but of course they weren't dropping out of the top 5..

And what exactly was the point spread finals night??? Top 3 were 3+ up on the field. 4/5/6 were roughly 3 points up on 7 if memory serves correctly, and there was good jostling finals week in the 4/5/6 area. I would buy the "should have beat" argument if the corps that "should have" actually DID score in the same neighborhood as the corps they "should have" beat.

89 SCV/PR is in question b/c they were 0.4 apart and in record territory. 93 Cadets/Star, same thing, because they were both insanely clean early on and ended up only, what?, 0.1 apart?

3.0 spreads will only be debated here on DCP. Not exactly in question, guys.

What planet is Phantom falling off of?

NOTE AGAIN: Thread started by a PR alum, and another bet a Dublin Dr Pepper on PR being outside looking in at the top 5. I think it lends credence when such statements are made from "within" an organization. Now, if the Crown Borg were the ones saying such things, we might question them with more veracity. Also, they would be betting RC Colas (see if any of the young-un's and non-easterners get that one!).

Just to add to the PR alum questioning things (albeit early on), I also alluded to this being a possibility after seeing some early season vid's of the corps. Alright, it was before Annapolis, but it just lacks that UMPH we have come to expect. Maybe Dan/JD/Paul and crew are holding back the UMPH until a later time/place, but it leaves plenty of room for others to establish an early-season position that PR must then overcome. Can they? Sure. That's what they do.

Crown in 7th, possibly 8th. Just too strong at the top. And the thing about those 6 corps ahead of them is the hardware and the legacy that they represent--each and every one of them! Experience counts.

Well, I just got back from the 2007 DCI World Championships in Pasadena, California and man I gotta tell you...it was a close one...

For those of you who haven't already heard about the placements, here are the top seven: (too tired to post all 12...long drive from California..also, review coming later...)

1. Cadets (The narration is still way too much for me, and I really couldn't enjoy this show because of it, but kudos to them on another ring...)

2. Blue Devils (That's right, they rose from third in semis to over take the Coats...I enjoyed their show a lot, but was hoping Coats would beat them.)

3. Bluecoats (Another highest placement ever for this corps...next year, look out! This corps is hungry!)

4. Cavaliers (Music is what hurt them...imo the music selections were poorly chosen...was hoping for "Uptown girl"...)

5. Phantom Regiment (I hate to see Phantom out of the top 4, but their show design was just not enough to push them into that group..also they had a very un-characteristic problem in the horns tonight that probably cost them...)

6. Carolina Crown (Well, we all debated where this corps would wind up, and they finally broke the top 6...if they had just maybe added a little to the show, they may have been top 5...very close score with Phantom..)

7. Santa Clara Vanguard (When they started the season, I was SO excited to see this show...I love the show, but the demand was just a bit too much for them tonight. This sucks, because they were really on in semis but they had an "off" night tonight...can't wait till next year...VANGUARD!! Oh, and the crowd finally got the yells right, but it was weird yelling, "Eureka!"...like the surprise they threw in tonight..[more about that in the review later..])

Anyway, I'm going to bed...got a meeting with Doc Brown in the morning..

Edited by Cardman

Also, they would be betting RC Colas (see if any of the young-un's and non-easterners get that one!).

Um, not that difficult. I grew up in SoCal, and we always had RC in the stores. I can buy it here in Vegas, too. What makes you think it's an east coast phenomenon?

Garry

Cavalier have lost 2 shows this year. Cadets have lost 2 shows this year. Cadets lost to Cavaliers... Cavaliers lost to BD and BC.... That's what would lead me to believe that the Cadets are very beatable.

Yes... Cadets lost the FIRST TWO shows.

That's hardly an indication of how they stand right now no matter how much some people want it to be.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to bet next year we see a re-charge with the traditional "Top 5" and I think they are going to stay the Top 5 for a while.

The order will be different, but the "Top 5" in alphabetical order:

Blue Devils

The Cadets

The Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard

(Odd - that was their placement in finals this year too).

Will stay the same. I think we will see Phantom reclaim a spot in the Top 3 like a year ago, and SCV rejoin that group (it has been far too long). The other in the Top 3 will most likely be Cavaliers.

Edited by PhantomPhanatic