Non-partisan fans...

1. Who do you root for?

Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Southwind

2. Why do you root for them?

I love their music. Loud and in your face.

3. Have you ever been the victim of drum corps "elitism" simply because you did not march?

No

4. Have you any professional musical experience of another sort? (e.g., composer, conductor, performer, etc.)

No

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My questions to you are:

1. Who do you root for?

3. Have you ever been the victim of drum corps "elitism" simply because you did not march?

4. Have you any professional musical experience of another sort? (e.g., composer, conductor, performer, etc.)

1.) Phantom Regiment (though I love a lot of corps)

2.) I just love their style. They have this very lush sound and they stick by their classical reps, which I really dig

3.) Yeah, but not in real life. A few choice people on these forums, though, have been very snobbish and hostile (though they're just a small segment)

4.) No, I've never been paid to play music, but I love playing it none the less.

But have you ever been paid to stop ??? :P j/k

Well...there was that ONE time. :laugh:

Mildly professional...I won a $20 bar bet when I sang "Wind Beneath My Wings". I was just a shade less than phenominal.

WINNER.

1. Who do you root for?

Vanguard, Phantom, BD (not '05), Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Madison...but like many others have said I never root against any corps specifically.

I have always said that all drum corps is good drum corps. For the most part I root for West coast corps to finish as high as possible. But scores don't really matter, a good show is a good show.

Never, but I've seen it happen. Mostly on the review boards. I've been targeted for my opinions, but it never stems from my lack of marching.

4. Have you any professional musical experience of another sort?

I'm married to a Jr. High band/choir teacher. Marched college band. Get constantly hassled by River City Regiment members to join :P .

I fit all your criteria, so here goes:

1. Who do you root for?

Changes every year. I listen, then root for whoever has a show that I enjoyed. Lately it's been Phantom.

I root for whoever has the best sounding music, and who I want to hear in a victory concert. Phantom Regiment has had by far the most satisfying music these past few years, in my opinion.

Not really, I ignore it, not sure, doesn't matter. If someone wants to say my opinion has no merit because I didn't march, well (1) they have a point, but (2) I have enough musical training to think my opinion has merit anyways.

4. Have you any professional musical experience of another sort?

Yes: jazz drummer, gigging and recording.

1. Who do you root for? While I have "favorite" Corps, I don't root for one particular Corps every year. I go for the shows I enjoy each season.

2. Why do you root for them? Because I enjoy the show.

3. Have you ever been the victim of drum corps "elitism" simply because you did not march? No, but I have been involved volunteering with the Corps and Guards my kids have been involved with each season. I don't feel like anyone looked down on me for who I liked each season.

4. Have you any professional musical experience of another sort? (e.g., composer, conductor, performer, etc.) Performer back in middle and high school, County and State level performer/competitor. I was paid for performances while in high school. :) Got married, got busy and never got back into performing.

1. Who do you root for?

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Bluecoats

Southwind

Cavaliers - Their Guard program is incredible. I've seen a lot of live shows and even more videos and they have been consistant on never letting their guard fade into the background.

SCV - Even when they do the more minimalist programs, I feel I'm getting the real tradition of drum corps from their performance quality and intensity.

Bluecoats - I'm an ohioan, and I have the hometown pride.

Southwind - Their programs have never really captivated me but the kids performing with this corps always seem so happy to be sharing their experiences with the general crowd member.

I've never been told my opinion doesn't count because I didn't march if that is what you are asking.

I was once a Music Education Major; but that only lasted about 5 weeks.

1. Who do you root for?

1 - Scouts, PR, BD, SCV, Cadets

2 - Love the emotion, excitement, and power of drum corps. Saw Scouts in '86 at a marching band show, and was hooked. Friend from high school made me tapes of finals from '78-86 and began rooting for the above corps

3- Never. If you're informed, intelligent, and aren't an a** you can discuss, and disagree with people that have marched and not get slammed for not marching.

4 - High school/college marching band. Stayed in marching band in college for four years to get to see the Packers for free. Perfomed at Carnegie Hall when I was 16 with the Greater Milwaukee Youth Wind Ensemble. Not a "paid" performance, but a one in a life time opportunity. Church muscian now.

Edited by acn