Westminster Lounge 2007

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo Crown.

I just talked to a Crossmen marcher and they said that they had a good show but the scores aren't reflecting it, anyone have a good scoop on that or any ideas?

Same with Boston. Their scores aren't reflecting what's on the field. My son said they had a great show, but doesn't understand why they aren't scoring higher.

Same with Boston. Their scores aren't reflecting what's on the field. My son said they had a great show, but doesn't understand why they aren't scoring higher.

I used to come off the field jubilant, absolutely ecstatic, because *I* had a great show. Heck, I still remember DCM Finals in 1991 as a rookie. I nailed every single note, I nailed every single file and diagonal....I felt completely in control of the show. After we had marched off and were over by our equipment truck and given the command "at ease," I was ready to explode with joy (ahh, what a rookie I was).

And then, a split second before I was to open up my big mouth and whoop and holler...I noticed the faces of those around me. My best friend Grant. Tim, Dave, Grady, Aaron...veterans who had been there before. None of them were smiling or shouting with joy. Because their shows had not been as good as mine. I learned an important lesson that night...if you are really on your game, that doesn't necessarily reflect how everyone else did. And you really can't tell what the overall mood of the corps is until after you've been "dismissed" from attention in the tunnel, or by the buses, or wherever corps go nowadays immediately after a show. There were nights where I had a very bad show, and was pretty depressed about it, but when given the command to relax, everyone around me would be smiling and celebrating. You just never know.

So...just because your son said they had a great show, that may not necessarily be the case. I have several former students marching with Boston...the percussion caption head is a friend of mine...if the show is good, and things click, you'll see those scores climb up. Just don't rely on individuals telling you that they had a good show, or speaking for the corps in general.

I learned my lesson early.

Besides, forget the scores. Enjoy the performances of the corps. Those are what counts.

Besides, forget the scores. Enjoy the performances of the corps. Those are what counts.

^OO^

The Cavaliers 81.300

Bluecoats 80.200

Santa Clara Vanguard 79.750

Division II

Colt Cadets 55.750

And then, a split second before I was to open up my big mouth and whoop and holler...I noticed the faces of those around me. My best friend Grant. Tim, Dave, Grady, Aaron...veterans who had been there before. None of them were smiling or shouting with joy. Because their shows had not been as good as mine. I learned an important lesson that night...if you are really on your game, that doesn't necessarily reflect how everyone else did. And you really can't tell what the overall mood of the corps is until after you've been "dismissed" from attention in the tunnel, or by the buses, or wherever corps go nowadays immediately after a show. There were nights where I had a very bad show, and was pretty depressed about it, but when given the command to relax, everyone around me would be smiling and celebrating. You just never know.

Very good point. And by the way, I saw Phantom a bunch in 1991, but I will always remember the stand still encore you guys gave at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, PA. What a performance. One of the best horn sounds and one of the best shows I had seen that year, and really in my top 20 shows of all time.

Oh yeah, I forgot, that was also probably the loudest encore I have ever heard.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

Very good point. And by the way, I saw Phantom a bunch in 1991, but I will always remember the stand still encore you guys gave at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, PA. What a performance. One of the best horn sounds and one of the best shows I had seen that year, and really in my top 20 shows of all time.

JW

I remember that night. That was my first night marching on astroturf. :) We had stayed at a very cool "complex" of church buildings near a hayfield. Ahh...that was a good night. :sshh:

What about the Snappettes!?

Wax

ok.. just so it's easier to read lol:

1 The Cadets 82.250

2 Phantom Regiment 81.150

3 Carolina Crown 79.800

4 Blue Knights 75.250

5 Boston Crusaders 74.150

6 Crossmen 68.250

In that: Cadets broke Sky 82!

:rolleyes:-

:dozingoff: