For those DCI shows that have DCA corps present

Furthermore, our national anthem is a traditional English drinking song. Steve Perry is a red-blooded American. We shan't outsource our most precious national piece of music. Are these lyrics not those of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

"Some of them just sing the blues," a genre of music that was forged here in the United States. THINK ABOUT IT.

Born of Portugese parents... but thanks for playing! :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Perry (born Stephen Ray Perry, January 22, 1949 in Hanford, California)

He's no less American than you or I, even though he was neither born, nor raised, in south Detroit.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

Now this doesn't bother me at all, but it IS a part of etiquette that is consistently ignored. The only time a flag is allowed by law to have gold fringe around the outside edges is if it is used in a bona fide military ceremony such as a pass in review, parade of the colors, or on a naval quarterdeck. All of those corps and churches with gold fringe "because it's pretty" are technically breaking the law. :P

Or in a civil court of law.... Yeah, any non-military case that takes place in one with a gold fringed flag can be thrown out. Or something like that. But I digress.

~C

Since this topic seems to be meandering about, I figured I could throw in another bit o' trivia...

The flagpole during peace times is capped by the eagle, whereas during times of war, the pointed spear head should grace the top of the pole.

Not quite sure what is done during ill-defined times of military aggression, police actions, etc.

Since this topic seems to be meandering about, I figured I could throw in another bit o' trivia...

The flagpole during peace times is capped by the eagle, whereas during times of war, the pointed spear head should grace the top of the pole.

Not quite sure what is done during ill-defined times of military aggression, police actions, etc.

Maybe I've watched too many episodes of M*A*S*H* but my initial (and trying to be humorous), reaction would be to say that maybe we should put the spear through the eagle. Too tacky and really not funny? I kinda think that about the ill-defined military aggressions and police actions and like I said earlier, I've just watched too many episodes of M*A*S*H*. Oh, and did I mention I'm of British descent and have inherited my dad's dry humor? Nevermind and carry on.

~C

Not a troll, kiddo. Just a patriot. And one who is sick of seeing this country bashed by the disrespectful and uninformed. And one who WILL respect the symbol that many men and women died under in order for all of us to be able to carry on our lives here without losing ours.

And God help all of us if we lose that freedom paid for in blood. For DC will be the very least of things we will lose.

Should have quoted better...this board works different. I was intending to not feed the trolls meaning giving the Cough more flem to spit up.

Also not a kiddo here and I gladly stand next to you as a patriot too.

They do...in 03 I made it very clear that if we were heading to the stadium and heard the NA, I would call a halt, put hte corps to attention, and face the colors and salute on the behalf of the corps....which was my duty as the field commander. (Same as any military unit, as a matter of fact...everyone else comes to attention, but the unit commander salutes on behalf of the unit. As it happened, in 03 we were in the middle of the parking lot at Riverside....either 03 or 04 (don;t remember) we were entering the field at Long Beach, and 03 West Covina, we were across that huge field near the stadium....but I still called attention & saluted...from a few hundred yards off.

I even saluted our OWN colors as they passed me on the way to their place for 04 DCA prelims

Funny how I never got taken to task for it..

you say yes, Henson says no........do either of you have anythign to back you up oither than your own personal beliefs? Even a "code" of some kind must be backed up in law or policy of some kind...just because "it's the right thing to do" or because "we've always done it that way" doesn't make it so. Is there any kind of federal law or ruling about when to salute a flag? one person's beliefs and values are not necessarily the same as someone else's. Sam's theory sounds like a nice sentiment, though Henson's sounds a little more plausible.

I contacted Goerge Hopkins about the poor recording of the Star Spangled Banner at the Westminster show.

He checked on it and said it was the official DCI recording sent through Blackberry.

I've emailed the DCI program coordinator on the subject.

One minute they're supporting the National Project with a full choir at the Annpolis show. Then they turn around and send out an incomplete version to show sponsors to use if no other performers/recording is available.

Maybe they just didn't realize it was incomplete. <**>

Maybe someone there needs to learn the Star Spangled Banner. :ph34r:

Either play it correctly or not at all, but don't use a recording that is incomplete and of such poor quality.

Edited by shawn craig

Maybe an eagle with a pointy head???? :ph34r:

you say yes, Henson says no........do either of you have anythign to back you up oither than your own personal beliefs? Even a "code" of some kind must be backed up in law or policy of some kind...just because "it's the right thing to do" or because "we've always done it that way" doesn't make it so. Is there any kind of federal law or ruling about when to salute a flag? one person's beliefs and values are not necessarily the same as someone else's. Sam's theory sounds like a nice sentiment, though Henson's sounds a little more plausible.

I think it is never wrong to show respect. That should be the default action.

Is it technically wrong for a non-sworn corps to stand there with their hats on? Yeah. Is it insulting? Not in the least. I think it's a wonderful thing to do, and shows that they are plugged into their own traditions, and those of their ancient past (the military bands.)

I think the way he did it was precisely right, whether it's the 'correct' way to do it or not.