• 77-78
    • 78-79
    • 79-80
    • 80-81
    • 81-82
    • 82-83
    • HIGHER than 83?
    • Lower than 75?
  2. 2. Where will Academy stand in the rankings?

• Top 7
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • Semi Finals Range
    • 18th or lower

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put in my two cents of a score between 75-76 and a finish at the end of the season in 11th (I'm predicting a ending score of 87.25).

However, I can't get an answer to a question about San Antonio. Perhaps those of you more learned than I can figure this one out. If Academy doesn't participate in the Atlanta show, and placement for San Antonio is based upon the Atlanta show, then that means Academy goes FIRST on San Antonio in the afternoon program.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but how are the judges going to be able to give Academy a score that is appropriate when they HAVe to leave room for the corps performing ahead of them. I know, I know, judges will judge them on their merit, etc, but we've all seen subjective judging before (Ice Skating, gymnastics, Diving, Drum Corps) where the judges ARE inevitably impacted and affected by where the subject is peforming, especially if it is a worst to first order. The natural expectation is that the shows will be getting better as the day wears on and you have to leave room (as a judge) for those corps. That is why it seems so difficult to jump even a few places. But starting first, if that is what will happen to Academy in San Antonio, may be the "problem" everyone is looking for. Once that happens, then that sticks with them onto the next regional and then quarters etc. Is that what you guys call slotting? While I'm optimistic about their chances, and I have 100% faith in their work ethic and clean up over the last 10 days, I think the PROCESS will get in the way of their scores. Does anyone agree.....or hopefully disagree???

Has anyone ever explained the 'WHY' Academy hasn't competed since 6/24. Personally that can't be good to not be at the major regionals if not for anything but the exposure and to get some honest numbers to what they're up against. With that said...I do hope to see them in finals.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Has anyone ever explained the 'WHY' Academy hasn't competed since 6/24. Personally that can't be good to not be at the major regionals if not for anything but the exposure and to get some honest numbers to what they're up against. With that said...I do hope to see them in finals.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Because as a fledgling organization, and in an effort to not trip on their own feet their first year out in DCI, they chose to do more of a regional Div I tour (an option open to all Div I's). Simply because coming out full blast this year would have put a strain on the organization financially. If I remember right, they are still fund raising for this year. So thats why they haven't competed in about 20 days.

I would expect them to up their schedules more over the next 3 years. Esp since Finals is in Indy for the rest of eternity.

PS. I personally think Academy will bump their score 8-10 points on Saturday, busting into the top 10. Im gonna go check out their rehearsal tonight in Tempe, I'll have the low-down on how much they've improved later.

Edited by Chris Cameron

I put in my two cents of a score between 75-76 and a finish at the end of the season in 11th (I'm predicting a ending score of 87.25).

However, I can't get an answer to a question about San Antonio. Perhaps those of you more learned than I can figure this one out. If Academy doesn't participate in the Atlanta show, and placement for San Antonio is based upon the Atlanta show, then that means Academy goes FIRST on San Antonio in the afternoon program.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but how are the judges going to be able to give Academy a score that is appropriate when they HAVe to leave room for the corps performing ahead of them. I know, I know, judges will judge them on their merit, etc, but we've all seen subjective judging before (Ice Skating, gymnastics, Diving, Drum Corps) where the judges ARE inevitably impacted and affected by where the subject is peforming, especially if it is a worst to first order. The natural expectation is that the shows will be getting better as the day wears on and you have to leave room (as a judge) for those corps. That is why it seems so difficult to jump even a few places. But starting first, if that is what will happen to Academy in San Antonio, may be the "problem" everyone is looking for. Once that happens, then that sticks with them onto the next regional and then quarters etc. Is that what you guys call slotting? While I'm optimistic about their chances, and I have 100% faith in their work ethic and clean up over the last 10 days, I think the PROCESS will get in the way of their scores. Does anyone agree.....or hopefully disagree???

i know exactly what you are saying, but it shouldn't be a problem, it doesn't matter how high the scores go for the afternoon show because the top 8 don't perform til the evening show. expect top 4 scores from afternoon to drop in the evening anyway.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

an inside source has posted here previously that they requested to perform at an additional 5 shows and DCI said no.

-- messenger twice removed.

This is PROBABLY a really dumb question ... but how long have they been rehearsing since the last show? All three weeks?

This is PROBABLY a really dumb question ... but how long have they been rehearsing since the last show? All three weeks?

Everyday...EXCEPT, July 2nd. Bus ride to Pasadena and then an off day when they reached the beach. July 3rd and 4th, ran through the show, but a standstill performance. Perhaps some drill practice at their housing site on the 3rd, but 2 parades and a performance on July 4th. July 5, 6, 7, 8 Corps was given time off.

So, the better part of 2+ weeks.

I'm not expert like the rest on here, but I think that since San Antone isn't the first show of the year that the judges will have a good baseline from those who have been on tour - given that this isn't the judge's first show...