Booing and the Cadets

I had a long drive home to think about what I wanted to say. It was much worse while I sat in the parking lot of the Rose Bowl, fuming over what I had just seen and heard. And now, I’m just sad; for the kids, for the activity, and for the morons in the stands.

This night has affected me in so many ways that it’s difficult to comprehend. I am so angry, so enraged, that I could just scream… yet after seeing all the fighting on this message board and other places for the past seven or eight years, this doesn't surprise me anymore.

After tonight, I am embarrassed and ashamed to be a drum corps fan. I feel like I need to apologize to every member of the Cadets for what they endured this evening. And in case you weren't there, here is what they got for their performance:

-They were booed off the field by nearly every fan in the Rose Bowl

-They were heckled by many people in the stands

-They were laughed at by a good portion of the fans during the heckling

All of these things make me sick to my stomach! All of you who took part in this make me sick to my stomach. If I know you and have called you a friend, and you took part in any of the above mentioned acts of idiocy, I'm not sure I ever want to have anything to do with you ever again...

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BOO ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD! THERE IS NO REASON TO HECKLE ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS OF THE DIRECTOR OR THE CORPS! THIS SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!

IF YU TOOK PART IN THIS TONIGHT, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF AND NEVER BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND ANOTHER DRUM CORPS EVENT... EVER.

You were disrespectful, hurtful, and quite honestly, you make pond scum look beautiful. ########, each and every one of you, and I have no problems telling that to each of your faces. You make me sick.

As a drum corps alumni, and most importantly, a parent, I just can't understand why people would do this. If you don't like electronics, great, more power too you. Go get a dog and a soda, and come back for the Dev's. But keep your ### SHUT if you don't have anything positive to add.

Southern California has waIted 35 years to host a Championship, and before we even get to finals night, we have already killed any chance of the Championships coming back for at least another 35. We shouldn’t be allowed to ever host this great event again… ever!

To all the performers, I want to apologize for what you had to endure tonight. You came back and kicked some butt, and for that you will always make me proud. To all of the fans that participated in the negativity, take it somewhere else. We don't need you, and don't want you.

And for the record, I can't stand mic's, voice or electronics. But after tonight, I love this show! Go Cadets!

• Like 2

The Cadets were booed tonight when they left the field for relining and when they came back onto the field (from what I know).

It is incredibly distasteful and disrespectful on all fronts.

To Cadets: Even though there are things that I wish you could do differently in this year's show, thank you for putting on an amazing show nonetheless. It takes a lot of guts to perform in front of thousands, especially when there are those who are booing.

Sorry if this post is repetitive, but booing really annoys me.

Can we still BLUUUUUU? :P

Actually, they got a decent reception the second time they came out and when they left the field after finishing their show. Not a "throwing babies" type of response, but the crowd was polite after the initial ruckus.

I beg to differ.

I think George Hopkins got booed when the Cadets left the field.

and he deserved it, as well as the 2 point penalty he cost his corps.

even if he thought the field needed relining there was a better way to go about it.

The kids marching in Cadets are smart enough to know whats going on.

I didn't care for their show one bit, but I would never boo a performer.

I have booed directors who do stupid things, I have booed judges decisions.

But I would never boo a performer.

During the broadcast, Rondinaro made a very telling comment when he said, "If only there was a way to boo the staff and not the members"

Of course, there is. It's called email.

I am mad that the stadium lights kept buzzing the entire night. I thought the cecedas in the midwest were annoying this summer. I think the lights humming all night covered up most of the boo's IMO.

PS - None of the kids were booed. Hopkins was. Still not right to boo and I was not happy with the people booing, but I assure you that the 135 fine musicians of the Cadets were not booed. The kids perform the hell out of the show that they have designed for them, and the people know that. It's just some people don't agree with design, and that's a topic that has been debated for years.

I agree with your frustration, but lets put the correct spin on where the negative emotions were directed. (I am not a Hoppy Hater either and am not condoning the booing...I am just saying lets all look "outside the looking glass"

Mark, I am going to disagree with you... the field sucks, its in bad shape. Hop saw something he didn't like, and i am positive it was a safety issue. Talking to some of the cadets staff, that's what i was told, and I believe them. The kids were pretty shaken up after getting booed off the field.

Boooo George!

Hooray Beer!

($1 to Red Stripe)