WHY?

So, I've been thinking about this all day, and I have to ask: WHY?

Why introduce A&E? For the creativity?

Why? What does creativity provide?

If it's not BITS, why?

If it's entertainment, for whom? The legacy fans (since it's not supposed to put more BITS)?

To pander to the writers/arrangers? Why? Does it advance the activity? How?

If it's end result is not more fans and BITS, why?

What could be the purpose of "More"?

Please, someone tell me if it's NOT to attract more fans, what is the purpose for giving legacy fans more entertainment?

Especially when GH said legacy fans are not the target audience?

What is the purpose of adding A&E?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

EDIT: substitute vocals for any A&E above and someone answer: WHY?

• Like 1

If it's not BITS, why?

If it's entertainment, for whom? The legacy fans (since it's not supposed to put more BITS)?

Please, someone tell me if it's NOT to attract more fans, what is the purpose for giving legacy fans more entertainment?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

Please see my response to this query in the original thread. It most likely does not need to be excised here.

Tom Brace's reply from the original thread...

"Ok...this deserves an answer. It is a well conceived and thought out dissection of the talking points.

I would answer this. None of what you speculate about matters in the discussion. Drum corps has seen the success from marching band competitions and wants some of that. What they have continually realized is that the marching band audience (students and their parents are there only growing demographic. Us older phartes die. We need to be replaced and who wants to watch a non-American Idol, Katy Perry, Glee, marching pageant? The only sustaining answer is...band geeks.

So, over the past 15 years, the powers who get to decide, decided. They decided to be super marching bands. They decided they needed new audience in a growing demographic in exchange for a diminishing part of a dying demographic. They want to be super marching bands. Some of us will still stay until we die <read: me>. Others will not.

And guess what happens. Madison 2010 happens and it makes us happier than the norm. 2008 Regiment happens and it makes us jump out of our seats. Those special moments are still there. But, the bass player in Spirit from 2009, I think it was...that might be special to my 25 year old band geek son. So, that might be more of his...moment. I stopped long ago deciding for him what was best, or real, or important. We have an agreement...he doesn't decide that for me and I for him. Deal.

So, we have drum corps still. We have two main circuits and fledgling startups. I believe we are in far better straights than we were in the early-mid 1990s. So, I get a glass and it's not a koolaid flavor on the top of my list. It's still koolaid and it's still cold when I drink it.

My thoughts to you sir after your excellently crafted synopsis of the main points of this very long thread. "

TB - the drug resistant kind

Charter Member - DCP Buzz Kill Alpha Squadron

Featured Model - Pleistocene Quarterly Magazine

Because they have the potential to add to shows in a positive fashion and anyone who ceases to be a fan of drum corps as a result must really only think it's about summer marching band entertainment shows. /thread

• Like 1

Because they have the potential to add to shows in a positive fashion and anyone who ceases to be a fan of drum corps as a result must really only think it's about summer marching band entertainment shows. /thread

Honestly it is "only about summer marching band enterainment shows" if you are talking about anyone in the audience who is not a parent or an alum who will always go.

Don't want to hijack the man's thread but is DCI in the entertainment business or the education business as it's primary focus. That is the question. I've asked it before and gotten muddled answers. Cause you can do one with a smaller emphasis on the other or vice, versa but trying to do both equally just ends up doing both poorly.

Honestly it is "only about summer marching band enterainment shows" if you are talking about anyone in the audience who is not a parent or an alum who will always go.

Don't want to hijack the man's thread but is DCI in the entertainment business or the education business as it's primary focus. That is the question. I've asked it before and gotten muddled answers. Cause you can do one with a smaller emphasis on the other or vice, versa but trying to do both equally just ends up doing both poorly.

Spending 100's of hours working on about 9 minutes of music..let me think about that. :)

If it's not BITS, why?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

because

:tongue:

you're going to get a muddled answer, because it's both, and it's trying to appeal to a very diverse audience.

the key is finding that right balance. At one time, I thought they may have had it...I'm just not so sure now

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

Why?

Because the people who are designing the shows want it.

But why do they want it?

Because they want a broader palette than the current system allowed.

But why?

They were bored? They have the same options in their Fall programs and want them in the summer?

But why?

<smack>

Oh.

Anyway I'm fine with A&E but liked acoustic only as well.

I kind of agree that a lot of FAIL (poor balance, extraneous noise) seems to be ignored by the judges. Poor execution is poor execution: feet, brass, battery, mics -- it should all fair game.

I can see the opportunities that A&E provides the show designer.

As for the marching-band-ification. IMO that's a bunch of hooey.

Competitive marching bands have been moving closer and closer to drum corps -- not the other way around. *Thats's* the reason they're so similar now. And the things that make drum corps unique (the excellence, the touring, the experience) remain unique to drum corps. Instrumentation has always been evolving. Design has always been evolving.

Finally I'd just like to point out that marching bands did not invent amplification or electronic instruments nor were they the first to use them in an outdoor football stadium :-) Some other jokers did.... Marching bands adopted the tech. So did drum corps. For similar reasons. So let's get off this A&E is so "marching band" kick.