Modern Players With Older Equipment

Earth to some of the people on this thread....

THIS IS PRETEND!!!!!

***** SHEESH *******

Just wondering what kind of show DCPers would create using BITD equipment and getting into areas the OP never intended to even think about. Anyone notice I never asked if this was even POSSIBLE?

Sorry for joining the discussion.

HH

• Like 2

Sorry for joining the discussion.

HH

Well I'm sorry that discussion is being quashed by bringing in real people and what they want into what is supposed to be a fantasy world. Someone needs to explain the purpose and reasoning behind that. Just frustrated that a "fun" thread became something serious... I'm not even sure what "exercise" you are talking about and no idea why the Hell I even bothered anymore.....

Frustrated with:

1) Idea that people are taking this whole thing seriously even with mentions of the Latveria Lottery and Dr Doom. Wiki Dr Doom

2) Turning into a bit of my day was better which is always an excerise in futility because it's opinions and experiences.

3) Questioning of my motives on this. Holy #### I just came up with a wierd ###ed idea and wanted to share it. Again... why in the HELL has this become a serious discussion?

Came up with a way for Dr Doom to find practice fields and "willing participants" as members in case they didn't want play old instrunents. But since this thread has morphed to be serious I'll just drop out....

But first I'll pass everything to our complaint department... at least Jon will get it..

2528270-dr_doom_cup_super.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari

He (Doom) is not amused. Opens his vaults to host a show... :tongue:

Sending in the Barnstormers to back up the Lions show.

secrettreatiesxvi.jpg

• Like 1

After reading through this post, I'm sure there's number of alums out there who have vintage stuff. In my family, we've got a couple of Olds, 2 valve bugles and snares from the 70's. It wouldn't be pretty, but wouldn't it be fun if there was an opportunity to jam with other drum corps alums somewhere along the line during the season - maybe in Indy? Also, there should be a fantasy camp for the old-timers, right?

. . . nah, probably not! satisfied.gif

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Not what "we" would learn, what would "they" learn. Never had a retro party? Playing 8 tracks etc? We make major league baseball players use wooden bats and in college they use metal. BTW in sports they DO have retro uniforms day. Not saying practical but would be fun for peeps for a day.

retro uniforms yes, but you never see a baseball team playing with retro gloves, you know the ones with the 5 big fat fingers and a little leather patch between the thumb and forefinger.

You tell the MLB players that on retro day they not only have to wear old uniform replicas but also have to use replicas of the old gloves and bats and see how many decide to go on strike.

doesn't really matter what you programed, I would expect once the kids found out what they would be playing on you would have no members.

As a current marcher, I would audition right away if any corps decided to put those on the field again. The opportunity for my generation to march bugle in a WC corps is long gone, while I can march a concert horn any time I want.

Brought my Olds Ultratone p/r sop to practice last night and all the young ones wanted to give it a try - couple of the old bucks too (two of them marched back in the 70s, both bari). All good players and all got a good sound out of it (they also loved the power). :thumbup:

Everyone of them realized right away it was not a "symphony" instrument - it was built for outdoor power and pleasure.

I think the statement "none of them would ever join" is a bit overblown. I suspect there would be a greater interest than what some would like all to believe.

This right here is why I would jump at the opportunity. Bugles are meant to WAKE PEOPLE UP.

It all comes down to your taste. Some like brass that sounds like the heavens, others like brass and that'll tear your face off.

This is why I think a few corps should march bugles to offer a unique learning experience. I feel like the ones who really want to march bugle would be drawn to those corps and the talent would be more concentrated than it was when every corps marched them.

Please forgive me if I'm off topic. I don't really post a lot AND I've really only been into drum corps for a couple years.

• Like 2

retro uniforms yes, but you never see a baseball team playing with retro gloves, you know the ones with the 5 big fat fingers and a little leather patch between the thumb and forefinger.

You tell the MLB players that on retro day they not only have to wear old uniform replicas but also have to use replicas of the old gloves and bats and see how many decide to go on strike.

And by the way...no helmets, and if you hit a grounder to the infield, the fielder can throw the ball at you as you run to first, and if it hits you, you are out.

honestly, I would like to try some older equipment. Just to see what it is like. I've only played on a three valve G... don't remember what make or model. But it wasn't an awful instrument. A different sound, and it did feel different, but I didn't get to play it for more than 5 minutes... and it was like 6 or 7 years ago. I can tell you it was a better instrument than the DyNASTY Bb baris... that horn was atrocious.

Brass playing in drum corps is different nowadays. The "go for it" nature of playing loud is long gone. Even the writing is different. I think it's worse personally. Only a handful of arrangers actually write well for what they are writing for. It has become better over the past couple of years though. I feel as though the Bb lines write around the big switch were more balsy, and louder than corps now(this is just what I can tell on the DVD). But Cadets 2000 was playing on some crappy versions of the horns they are using today, and I feel they had more impact than say Cadets 2011. But then Cadets 2007 melted my face off...

I feel like the difference in horn lines is way more about the writing and teaching than the horns themselves. Yeah, it has something to do with it... but not as big as we all think.

Now if you handed today's kids these horns... they would say "WTF???" "There are valves missing.... and WTF is this thing????? Am I playing a frickin' French Horn thing?" Tuba players would say, "First they make me play with 3 valves??? Now this crap?? Seriously??"

It would be interesting to hear what people could do with the instruments of back then. Then again... maybe leave it in the past???

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear what people could do with the instruments of back then.

Hence a good part of the thought behind the thread and almost started a thread like that. But that sounded like flame bait before I even started typing.

So asked about the show design. Especailly since (as you mentioned) the arranging is so different. (IMO) gone are the days of going for the audiences emotion with power (aka volume) and now going for being more musical. Corps could go for more volume if they wish but only show that in small places in the show. Add in the more fluid/less military style of drill and toattly changed role of the guard and I can picture a Mad Sceintist thinking "what can I do here". But must admit my version of mad sceintists go more towards the Robot Chicken version (I have strange tastes in entertainment).

But instead of just posting "Old equipment + new show design = what would you do?" I decided to fill it out with the "Land Of Make Believe" angle with the Latveria Lottery and Dr Doom (the earlier pic). Why some shot down the idea (even in a make believe world) because it would not work in reality is beyond me. Maybe the people in their imagination act like people in the real world.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am an avid amateur photographer and have used both film and digital. Film achieves certain results, has a warmer feel to it, and requires a certain skill set. It's also quite likely that the results of film can be iffy at best and I can remember sorting many a slide and while I may have had that one graet shot, there were many discards. Digital can have vibrant colors, allows for correction and certainly saves money. Which is better? It's really a matter of opinion. I see the Key of G/B-flat debate the same way. Will there be a Carolina Crown or Blue Devils with Key of G instruments? It's very unlikely. Can Key of G instruments be used today? It looked like some of the Open Class corps used a few and their drum corps experience didn't seem to be hindered.

I am in the camp of those who love the Key of G, traditional guard and marching techniques while also being addicted to corps today. I have thought there is room for a category of Key of G/traditional style corps and I'm also willing to bet there are kids who would like to learn how to play bugles. I don't think they would ever be as good as the top competitors today and I also do not believe they will be as good as the corps of yesterday. If 27th Lancers, Kilties (as a junior corps), Bridgemen, Argonne Rebels, etc. still competed today, they would not be using Key of G instruments. What Key of G traditional corps would do is allow kids to enjoy the joy of music, working together to create a show, and have the experiences that only drum corps can provide.

So, if we want to provide Key of G instrumented corps as an option, great. It may provide an interesting experience and entertaining shows, but it won't upset World Class or even the top of Open Class all that much if at all.