DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

it'll happen, but I have a hunch they'll be quiet on really major changes for a while with instrumentation. I'm sure it'll be proposed, but I don't see passage for a while

Exactly what I was saying. I believe it will happen too. But based on the pattern we've seen with 10 years being the shortest span between a major "hornline instrument overhaul", I think it will be a lot further down the road than people expect. Their window of opportunity would have been perfect this year but they chose all brass instead.

Did you hear the new rule about synths?Slowpoke.png

Exactly what I was saying. I believe it will happen too. But based on the pattern we've seen with 10 years being the shortest span between a major "hornline instrument overhaul", I think it will be a lot further down the road than people expect. Their window of opportunity would have been perfect this year but they chose all brass instead.

I hope they are ready for when it does get passed...it's going to make every rules change to date look tame.

I wrote an essay called The Lost Excitement of Drum Corps Shows on my blog. I've been a fan of drum corps since the late 90s and here I explain four reasons why I think drum corps hasn't been exciting as it used to be, including 1) the flawed reasons behind the instrumental rule changes; 2) the minimal impact on excitement that the changes have; 3) indoor stadiums are awful venues; and 4) the current judging system values technical excellence over risk and excitement.

David

• Like 4

I hope they are ready for when it does get passed...it's going to make every rules change to date look tame.

Which is why I think it will be a while before we see it at this point. I was actually expecting it to be next. This one took me by complete surprise and at this point I think they will have a lot of years to get used to it and max out it's use. I strongly believe we have a while before woodwinds and I honestly didn't think that a month ago.

I wrote an essay called The Lost Excitement of Drum Corps Shows on my blog. I've been a fan of drum corps since the late 90s and here I explain four reasons why I think drum corps hasn't been exciting as it used to be, including 1) the flawed reasons behind the instrumental rule changes; 2) the minimal impact on excitement that the changes have; 3) indoor stadiums are awful venues; and 4) the current judging system values technical excellence over risk and excitement.

David

i agree with a lot but one thing...the performance captions are voted on by the corps. so if they are so maddening, why do they not propose to change it?

And when was the last time you saw a woodwind instrument used in a pre-show. Uhhh........never.

I can't remember who they were off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple corps that used them last year.

Once again, Hopkins and his progressive changes through the years have led to this becoming a reality. Say goodbye to corps folks! If my corps uses trombones or french horns ever I will cry. I am ashamed at the board of directors and leadership in DCI to let this happen.

Actually from as early as 1974, there has been push to go to all key instruments, trombones, piccolos, etc.

They're instruments... that's all...the activity doesnt change because they are implementing an instrument... I hear old timers talk about when orchestra bells were allowed and how many people said "that's the end of the activity"...

and its not only the brilliance of Hopkins (who is one of the people who's kept this activity alive and going), but its many, many legends of the activity that support it....

I remember Tom Float was pushing for electronics back in the early 80's with Spirit of Atlanta and Blue Devil drumlines...the reason it was rejected was practical reasons, not because it wasnt well recieved...