DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I see see 5 bones. That's likely a pit voice.

Which would make sense doing a Stan Kenton/Don Ellis show. Get them together for a cool feature in the pit or on the front sideline.

my guess would be they are going to tear it up and people are going to love it which will MAYBE quiet the nay sayers......yeah right.....lol :blow:

It's the Madison Scouts, they can really do no wrong. If anyone is going to blaze the trail, people will probably be the most receptive to the Scouts doing it

If a reference to Dadaism is "deep," then someone slept through 20th century history, art, or literature class.

My problem with the show was its total lack of any actual Dadaist art. If the Devils' staff was using the idea of Dadaism for something other than WGI'ish window dressing, they'd have done a real Dadaist program, with 150 people spending 11 minutes each doing anything they wanted to, as long as it wasn't together. Since the expectation in drum corps is precision and uniformity, Dada would tell you that a Dadaist show should be just the opposite. Offending a bourgeois audience is the central tenet of Dadaism.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

If a reference to Dadaism is "deep," then someone slept through 20th century history, art, or literature class.

My problem with the show was its total lack of any actual Dadaist art. If the Devils' staff was using the idea of Dadaism for something other than WGI'ish window dressing, they'd have done a real Dadaist program, with 150 people spending 11 minutes each doing anything they wanted to, as long as it wasn't together. Since the expectation in drum corps is precision and uniformity, Dada would tell you that a Dadaist show should be just the opposite. Offending a bourgeois audience is the central tenet of Dadaism.

You hit the nail on the head. The problem with the Dada theme was not that it made people think. It DID make them think ( or some anyway ). And the prevailing thought that emerged was the incongruity and outright misrepresentation of the fundamental anarchy, chaos, lack of order, artiistic license, etc and expressed by Dadaists with the precision and uniformity, order, discipline, of the DCI Drum Corps show. You observed the same inconguity that I and others did.

Edited by BRASSO

Courtesy of the Madison Scouts' Facebook:

1896876_736967649660870_230204907_n_zps2

...but you wrote that the change was voted in so late that none of the corps would have trombones... I'm so very confused! lolz... :silly::augen51::poke:

I see see 5 bones. That's likely a pit voice.

.....or that's the top voice of the bass line... Like what used to be the baritone 1 part....

:augen51:

It's going to be a "cool" timbre or color for sure, but I still maintain that Madison could have used tromboniums to get that same tone.

Edited by jjeffeory

...but you wrote that the change was voted in so late that none of the corps would have trombones... I'm so very confused! lolz... :silly::augen51::poke:

I was going off what I heard from designers. Sorry for being mistaken. Since Madison proposed it, would make since that they would use it.

My guess would be that they are going to tear it up, and people are going to love it, which will MAYBE quiet the naysayers, yeah right, lol.

There really aren't that many vociferous naysayers, at least not on DCP. Most people are neutral, or at most guardedly optimistic or pessimistic. Only a relative few have proclaimed this change to be so large that they will abandon DCI because of it. (Admittedly even fewer are thrilled by the change.) It's less the change in itself than what it bodes for the future that seems to concern most of the pessimists.

Edited by N.E. Brigand