DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

it is ok to agree with me DUDE...lol.

ok...BD, the Dada show. show me the emotional or aesthetic in that show.

Now i can like or dislike that show BUT can I find something of quality within it even if I don't agree or like the theme?...I like to think so , especially when you talk these top corps. I may not like approach or theme BUT can the quality of a product in all areas over shine the theme or intellect ...Well for me it can, although i can undestand those who can't get past it.

Point is there's one example you gave.....isnt there enough within a finals and prelims to satisfy everyone? Isn't there enough variety or diversity? I think so. Many ( as they claim ) dont care about scores, so does it really mattter if one or 2 corps dont follow the path of traditional and follow a path of controversial......does it really matter?

I still say we give ourselves way to much credit sometimes in the activity. As many do say " Its just drum corps" we march around a football field, wearing feathers in our hats, wearing sparkly objects.throwing wood objects and fabric, playing loud all for about 13 min....and yes we love it...all that deep?....hmmmmmm not so sure about that.

Edited by GUARDLING

it is ok to agree with me DUDE...lol.

ok...BD, the Dada show. show me the emotional or aesthetic in that show.

Wait so you don't think the opening trumpet solo and recap at the end wasn't showing emotion? I thought it was beautiful. That moment after the fanfare didn't have you dumbfounded because you thought there would be this big climactic note but there wasn't? How did you not feel melancholy in the Gymnopedie No. 1? Maybe I'm just way into drum corps, but I think there were many emotional/aesthetically pleasing moments in that show.

... I still say we give ourselves way to much credit sometimes in the activity. As many do say " Its just drum corps" we march around a football field, wearing feathers in our hats, wearing sparkly objects.throwing wood objects and fabric, playing loud all for about 13 min....and yes we love it...all that deep?....hmmmmmm not so sure about that.

If that is your position (all of the descriptions that it is just drum corps you presented) why is it necessary then for many corps designers to go down that cerebral path and create shows which require the audience to engage in deep thought process so as to gain better understanding of design concept? By your own contention the show designers are thus also taking themselves too seriously, correct?

If that is your position (all of the descriptions that it is just drum corps you presented) why is it necessary then for many corps designers to go down that cerebral path and create shows which require the audience to engage in deep thought process so as to gain better understanding of design concept? By your own contention the show designers are thus also taking themselves too seriously, correct?

Why? because they want to and can...that simple....and no I dont think show designers take themselves as seriously as some others do....do they work hard to develop a show ..yes of course,, does it become very personal...yes...is it curing or fixing world issues NO. People tend to make much more out of things then they actually are sometimes..and I'm sure with the time you have been around the activity you have heard if not said " It's only drum corps" phrase , i dont know if i know anyone who hasn't said it..lol but . In other words

. ( and its been said to spectators, directors, staff, kids etc etc ) chill out take a breath and lets move on. NOT ALL THAT DEEP

Edited by GUARDLING

Why? because they want to and can...that simple....and no I dont think show designers take themselves as seriously as some others do....do they work hard to develop a show ..yes of course,, does it become very personal...yes...is it curing or fixing world issues NO. People tend to make much more out of things then they actually are sometimes..and I'm sure with the time you have been around the activity you have heard if not said " It's only drum corps" phrase , i dont know if i know anyone who hasn't said it..lol but . In other words

. ( and its been said to spectators, directors, staff, kids etc etc ) chill out take a breath and lets move on. NOT ALL THAT DEEP

Really? The show designers do not take themselves too seriously? We in the audience are not making things more than what they are, the designers are doing that for us. And not that deep? Really? The BD staff apparently 'wanted' an obscurely designed cerebral show that it pretty much required the majority of audience members who were not aware of the historical significance of Dada to research the following so as to not sit in the stands confused and perplexed at to what BD was presenting on the field:

Cabaret Voltaire was a small venue located in Zurich Switzerland. In 1916 a group of young artists and writers was allowed to perform whose aim was to create a center for artistic progression. The idea of the cabaret was that guest artists would come and give performances and readings at the daily meetings. The young artists, whatever their orientation, were invited to arrive with suggestions and contributions of all kinds. The Cabaret featured raucous events with artists experimenting with new forms of performance such as sound poetry and simultaneous poetry; the art it exhibited was often chaotic and brutal. The Cabaret exhibited radically experimental artists; it was the birthplace of the Dadaist movement and it also featured artists from every sector of the avant-garde movement including Futurism. On July 28, 1916 the Dada Manifesto was read at the Cabaret (and this is a must read manifesito to us to realize what the movement was about). By 1917 the excitement generated by the Cabaret Voltaire venue had faded away and the artists then moved on to other places in Zurich such as the Galerie Dada at Bahnhofstrasse 19, then later on to the cities Paris and Berlin.

So, not that deep? Yep, that deep!

• Like 1

Really? The show designers do not take themselves too seriously? We in the audience are not making things more than what they are, the designers are doing that for us. And not that deep? Really? The BD staff apparently 'wanted' an obscurely designed cerebral show that it pretty much required the majority of audience members who were not aware of the historical significance of Dada to research the following so as to not sit in the stands confused and perplexed at to what BD was presenting on the field:

Cabaret Voltaire was a small venue located in Zurich Switzerland. In 1916 a group of young artists and writers was allowed to perform whose aim was to create a center for artistic progression. The idea of the cabaret was that guest artists would come and give performances and readings at the daily meetings. The young artists, whatever their orientation, were invited to arrive with suggestions and contributions of all kinds. The Cabaret featured raucous events with artists experimenting with new forms of performance such as sound poetry and simultaneous poetry; the art it exhibited was often chaotic and brutal. The Cabaret exhibited radically experimental artists; it was the birthplace of the Dadaist movement and it also featured artists from every sector of the avant-garde movement including Futurism. On July 28, 1916 the Dada Manifesto was read at the Cabaret (and this is a must read manifesito to us to realize what the movement was about). By 1917 the excitement generated by the Cabaret Voltaire venue had faded away and the artists then moved on to other places in Zurich such as the Galerie Dada at Bahnhofstrasse 19, then later on to the cities Paris and Berlin.

So, not that deep? Yep, that deep!

.the BD staff didnt try to take things as literal as some people seem to think...unless you have some inside knowledge well then I wouldnt assume so much. my friend......it's just drum corps.......lol

as far as who is making more out of something than what it was If you look back I said people....not all.....I never ( or try not to ) refer to any opinion as ALL ( like some love to ).....so to those who dont take everything to serious and literal....good for you...the others? well , if the shoe fits and youre ok with going out to a show, hating on it, picking it to pieces, finding fault with everything from music to plume color,,, then that must bring some enjoyment to you also.....so everyone wins I guess :colgate: if one chooses to believe or not believe how a staff may put things together thats their choice. I try to never assume ( which I'm sure I fall short at times ) and only try to comment when I have some knowledge of either the situation or the individuals.....not that anyone has to believe me.....not trying to change anyone's mind just my point of view.

Oh you also asked WHY designers do whatever they do and I answered...because they want to and can....enough of an answer?.......lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

It is sad that the activity I love is getting less and less unique. Eventually there will be woodwinds and God only knows what else. I don't think the inclusion of all brass is that big of a deal on it's own, but let's face it, over the past few years huge changes have occurred. I will continue to support the activity until I no longer enjoy the products on the field. I used to love almost all the top12 shows at Finals. This past year I probably enjoyed 6 of the 12 shows. If this trend continues, soon I will have no reason to attend the Stanford show I go to every year, or to buy a Fan Network membership. Time will tell.

Edited by jmc5682

It is sad that the activity I love is getting less and less unique. Eventually there will be woodwinds and God only knows what else. I don't think the inclusion of all brass is that big of a deal on it's own, but let's face it, over the past few years huge changes have occurred. I will continue to support the activity until I no longer enjoy the products on the field. I used to love almost all the top12 shows at Finals. This past year I probably enjoyed 6 of the 12 shows. If this trend continues, soon I will have no reason to attend the Stanford show I go to every year, or to buy a Fan Network membership. Time will tell.

At least you're willing to give it a chance instead of stamping your feet and running away. The Stanford show is a great atmosphere, and a great show. That was a great add to the schedule in 07.