DCI Arkansas - Little Rock, AR

- coats show uses the wedges through the show normally and as a result the conditions - slippery surface on wedges and a bit on the field for foot work prep to get on the field...... It rightfully should have been reflected in the sheets

If "slippery surfaces" is the case with the wedges, it reads like they didn't add to the paint some flakes for grip.

If "slippery surfaces" is the case with the wedges, it reads like they didn't add to the paint some flakes for grip.

No need, finals is indoors. It's a known fact that corps get cut some slack when the weather is poor. The system of judging evaluates in a "positive pressure" with respect to assigning point value... it's not a negative tally, or "tick" system. If the wind was high, for example, and flags were hard to manage, the guard scores would not go down. The judge knows the difference between poor writing/execution and poor weather. The judges likely had advance notice that some corps were going to make safety alterations.

Judges actually don't put a great deal of stock in unique errors either. I remember a show in the mid 90's where the Cadets had a wrapping/rotating block drill (a popular Cadet trademark from that era) and about 1/3 of the corps fell due to 1 individual slipping on wet turf. The scores were completely unaffected. Crummy things happen... these things are often figured in to the score as outliers by the judges. They aren't out to get anyone or take advantage of circumstances.

97.5 in Visual Analysis WHOA

I know right? Good god.

If BD or Cadets win by taking GE, these sheets are f'ed...

Congrats on all corps, sounds like everyone had fun tonight, and even got a slip 'n slide in to boot.

Will be visual, too. Either one of them. GE and Visual, probably Guard. Coats or SCV could do very well in drums, Crown obviously in brass.

No need, finals is indoors. It's a known fact that corps get cut some slack when the weather is poor. The system of judging evaluates in a "positive pressure" with respect to assigning point value... it's not a negative tally, or "tick" system. If the wind was high, for example, and flags were hard to manage, the guard scores would not go down. The judge knows the difference between poor writing/execution and poor weather. The judges likely had advance notice that some corps were going to make safety alterations.

Judges actually don't put a great deal of stock in unique errors either. I remember a show in the mid 90's where the Cadets had a wrapping/rotating block drill (a popular Cadet trademark from that era) and about 1/3 of the corps fell due to 1 individual slipping on wet turf. The scores were completely unaffected. Crummy things happen... these things are often figured in to the score as outliers by the judges. They aren't out to get anyone or take advantage of circumstances.

To the degree that this is true, it's ridiculous. Judges shouldn't be rewarding corps for achievement they probably would have demonstrated if conditions had been better. "Dear Bloo, I'm sure your leaps from those prop-wedges would have looked spectacular had you actually included them, so my score pretends that you did." Were the judges giving Bloo points for their orange tarps at shows with grass fields where they couldn't use the orange tarps?

The narrator is fine, but even his drill visual responsibility should be viewed and not ignored (that will be a cut and past response- I know); I say that because years ago in USBANDS, GH said the same thing to a band at one of their shows when the announcer kept announcing from the same area (from a smaller stage). So...

If the pit members aren't being penalized for not having enough drill, then I don't see why the announcer should be. Personally, I think he should move less, more closely approximating what an orchestral narrator for "Lincoln Portrait" would do. Sometimes it appears he's trying to perform the roles of the presidents more than present and reflect upon their words.

Oregon went from a 16.6 in drums to a 15.0 in 24 hours?

I know right? The 15.0 was good enough to beat Xmen. And then... what?

During the percussion feature, when the audience suddenly finds twenty-odd (cardboard?) eyeballs staring back at them, you just have to wonder what the design team was thinking. Surely they could have found something better to put in their hands.

From "The Raven" - And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming

I didn't understand the multiple eyes at first either but now I do and I think they're perfect. The lyrics of "Hymn of Acxiom" also helped as they speak to mass surveillance of all our likes, preferences and purchases on the internet for commercial reasons. It's not just a beautiful song.. it is creepy when you really listen.

And at it's root, this is a "descent into madness" theme

Edited by luv4corps