Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Do you REALLY think the crowd even noticed?? They were going ape-#### from the moment the corps dropped to it's knees.

The tear, bad as it was, had no negative effect on the music score...that was done. The crowd went berserk...THAT'S what SCV was going for. They were successful at it...he tear is irrelevant compared to the crowd reaction.

And ironically, the crowd going wild probably contributed to the tear, given the echo-chamber acoustics of the semi-domed Olympic stadium.

(By the way, when did it become "tearing" instead of "phasing"?)

well.......since I do some chief judging in the fall in winter, it does happen and it is kinda obvious.

and in DCI, it's very obvious when someone does it.

pacing, hey thats fine. I've paced a stadium walkway or 20 in my day. But arm gestures etc?

I also have but have never seen any significance . Coaching has been ( for me ) a pretty lame argument by those who just dont measure up to the others. Even if it did and I still do not see how it could ever have made any difference, then maybe there should be more ( as you called them ) arm wavers.

Now we are also talking drum corps and you mentioned winter programs as well as fall which is very different, even from pacing. I guess coaching from the stands can be easier in winter but again how much good it ever did would be questionable i think.

Edited by GUARDLING

That is the most UN-classy, UN-professional, embarrassing displays in drum corps. If staff can't control themselves, they need to go sit in the bus.

ANY staff behavior that calls attention to itself, is a clear signal that they are more important than the corps proper. The professional, winning corps staff don't do that.

So the answer to your question is "no" I don't miss staff acting like out-of-control children on the sideline while the corps is performing.

I think there is a balance that we keep missing here. We keep looking at extremes and I can bet out of 12 finalists how many times in recent years have we seen the OUT OF CONTROL. Very few I would imagine, SO?

BUT, I do ask would it be the same for HMMMM, lets say a very enthusiastic , over the top group of parents or people for a specific corps, sitting in the stands?.Is behavior like this acceptable for some and not others? Does it become less annoying if the audience agrees with the staff response?..curious as to some answers.

Edited by GUARDLING

That is the most UN-classy, UN-professional, embarrassing displays in drum corps. If staff can't control themselves, they need to go sit in the bus.

ANY staff behavior that calls attention to itself, is a clear signal that they are more important than the corps proper. The professional, winning corps staff don't do that.

So the answer to your question is "no" I don't miss staff acting like out-of-control children on the sideline while the corps is performing.

If your post is serious, then you have a serious issue. Who are you to determine whether someone is unclassy because they show their appreciation for how well their students perform their show? Like I stated in an earlier post, if you have such a big problem with people expressing appreciation for their kids, maybe you should stay home and watch the show.

Do you REALLY think the crowd even noticed?? They were going ape-#### from the moment the corps dropped to it's knees.

The tear, bad as it was, had no negative effect on the music score...that was done. The crowd went berserk...THAT'S what SCV was going for. They were successful at it...he tear is irrelevant compared to the crowd reaction.

the crowd may not have cared, but the judges did. and music effect is part of the music score, so i'm sure it did indeed hurt the numbers.

and yes the crowd did go wild I was there. and I could tell that side and side 2 didn't end together

I also have but have never seen any significance . Coaching has been ( for me ) a pretty lame argument by those who just dont measure up to the others. Even if it did and I still do not see how it could ever have made any difference, then maybe there should be more ( as you called them ) arm wavers.

Now we are also talking drum corps and you mentioned winter programs as well as fall which is very different, even from pacing. I guess coaching from the stands can be easier in winter but again how much good it ever did would be questionable i think.

to me, for it to be a concern, it's gotta be blatant. I've seen blatant. There's arm waving, and then there's conducting crescendos

to me, for it to be a concern, it's gotta be blatant. I've seen blatant. There's arm waving, and then there's conducting crescendos

i guess thats different. MAybe it's your area..lol..jk

Seriously, Ive not seen this and I have been involved coast to coast. I think any REAL professional wouldn't do this. IF, they feel the need to obviously they aren't doing the teaching in the right place or time.

Watch Star 1990 | The staff is going bonkers towards the end. 30 sec mark

Edited by Jeffe77

Watch Star 1990 | The staff is going bonkers towards the end. 30 sec mark

OH MY GOD!!! I'M OFFENDED!!!! HOW DARE THEY CHEER AND ACT IMMATURE WHEN THE CORPS IS DRAWING A REACTION!!!!! CLASSLESS IMMATURE FOOLS!!!!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 3