How hard is it to make the blue devils?

One thing danced around on this topic but never really hit on is this-

An individual might be "good enough", but the staff may feel they're not 'as good a fit' with that corps as someone else is.

It may not be attitude, talent, just a perception the staff gets that's not really the fault of that individual applicant. The plethora of applicants allows the staffs to be that choosy.

Which goes a long way to explain how someone might get cut at BD and offered a spot at Crown and vice versa.

Dan's post awhile ago is close- go somewhere you're wanted, feel comfortable, and happy as a member, chasing a ring is secondary.

And the simple fact that a 15 year old with great hands or chops is still a 15 year old. Sometimes they're simply not ready to leave home despite their chops and enthusiasm.

There are programs for all but not all programs are championship BD-caliber corps. Kids need to understand that, with an average age of over 20, BD is likely not the first place a 17 year old should try out. How hard is it to make BD? The hardest of any corps out there simply because of the caliber they attract. If BD attracts 20 and 21 year olds, it makes logical sense to me that their championship program will be designed around kids of that age. A 17 year old may have cut the apron strings at home but is still a high school kid to college kids and may not fit into the groove. Not that the MM's wouldn't accept him, but that the rigors of the program design and practice schedule for the average age is well above the youngin's level.

I think your post reflects this "gel" between the kids. Not that it doesn't happen, but it has to be a VERY mature 17 year old, with great hands and lungs, to "hang" with the college-level MM's in ANY of the top-5 corps, BD on down.

So, OP (if he's still around) is this your first audition? Any marching experience prior (Sorry, didn't read the whole thread)? BD as opposed to Cadets or PR?

• Like 2

Good comment on the age issues and maturity. Taught a young man who was good, mature, and fortunate enough to make Cadets in HS and do 3 seasons there and one with Crown. Went on to play French Horn in Blast!...

We all encouraged him and tried to help him get ready, but also told him the road would be tough and not to be discouraged if he didn't make it because of the age issues, etc.

There are those who can, but they're exceptional.

That being said, he never really did all that well with the District/Regional/All-state fests on French Horn-- could be his focus at the time on Cadets, though.

• Like 1

yes, Blue Angels were a corps from Danvers, Massachusetts not California.

Edited by jmc5682

• 1 month later...

Hey dude, I just made the corps for the 2015 season on Euphonium. It took me four years, four auditions, and three years with Pacific Crest before I finally made the corps. Needless to say, it's pretty tough, and it only gets more cut throat if you get invited to the January camp with a callback. Anyway, make sure you march SOMEWHERE this summer, take some dance classes like ballet and modern, and practice your horn every day for an hour at least. More if possible. You should definitely be taking private lessons too if you aren't already and start practicing the audition packet from the day it becomes available!

• Like 5

Hey dude, I just made the corps for the 2015 season on Euphonium. It took me four years, four auditions, and three years with Pacific Crest before I finally made the corps.

Well done dude! May your determination carry on throughout all your life's challenges.

Hey dude, I just made the corps for the 2015 season on Euphonium. It took me four years, four auditions, and three years with Pacific Crest before I finally made the corps.

My heartiest congratulations to you, mjcabooseman. Enjoy!!!

If you get cut, it doesn't mean you can't march DCI this year, or even a very top corps. It just means there wasn't space in your section in that specific corps at that time.

But with no disrespect intended, that's bit of a feel good answer, imo. What if the applicant in question presently lacks the ability/skills needed to qualify him/her for a spot in a corps at that competitive level?

• Like 2