Carl Cook

yes - the first sentence says he is the son of Bill Cook.

As far as starting another drum corps - I'm pretty sure that family is done being burned by the DCI community and has moved on to other forms of outreach

Yes, this is my buddy Carl. We were in '83 Colts together and he already has a corps, just like he always did...The Colts.

• Like 2

In a privately held company, the owner would have to sell every brick, every window, and more to be worth what Forbes guesses. And I agree with George Dixon...my memory is too strong to allow me to forget how Bill was wrongly regarded by much of the drum corps community while he was alive. (But hey, that's coming from someone who hasn't changed his DCP avatar from that of his friend and hero, and has no plans of doing so.)

• Like 3

In a privately held company, the owner would have to sell every brick, every window, and more to be worth what Forbes guesses. And I agree with George Dixon...my memory is too strong to allow me to forget how Bill was wrongly regarded by much of the drum corps community while he was alive. (But hey, that's coming from someone who hasn't changed his DCP avatar from that of his friend and hero, and has no plans of doing so.)

Wait. That's NOT you?

Using Mr. Cook's pic is WAY better looking than using yours here on this anonymous thread.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. ($1 to Mr. Garfield)

Bill Cook said in public, long after Carl was able to understand the immensity of his Dad's passion, that drum corps was a hole you throw money in (for a good cause. <-- I may have added that last. It was certainly a hole.)

Carl must certainly be fully impassioned and completely informed about what it took. He saw the sausage being made and, maybe, he said You know, I lived it to its fullest I wouldn't do it again. It took creatively moving mountains through a pack of wolves to do what he did, and I don't have the passion.

If Carl never once again involved himself in the activity I would still toast him and the legacy his father an he left for us band geeks. Frankly, if he never again got involved I'd likely respect him a little more. Takes bigger guts to say a bigger No.

(Psssttt... And on the other hand, it'd be great if he were like his old man and said You know what? Screw it. Let's get in there and bang some heads around. Let's build this thing... Wouldn't that be fun to watch? "Yep, $2-million per year for ten years. Build me a drum corps boys." Ooooohhhh. So much fun!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I marched with Carl. He is, in every sense, a great guy, and a regular guy. Kind, humble, understated, awesome.

• Like 1