Blue Knights 2016

RPK

From what I've heard, like last year this show is continuing off themes of the past two shows. Their show is supposedly about death. VERY dark

Speaking of which, two different marching bands at last year's BoA Grand Nationals made extensive use of Dylan Thomas's poem, "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" (1948).

"Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Maybe BK will incorporate words from William Cullen Bryant's "Thanatopsis" (1811).

"Yet a few days, and thee

The all-beholding sun shall see no more
In all his course; nor yet in the cold ground,
Where thy pale form was laid, with many tears,
Nor in the embrace of ocean, shall exist

Thy image."

From what I've heard, like last year this show is continuing off themes of the past 2 shows. Their show is supposedly about death. VERY dark

Going to use IF a lot since it's nothing confirmed.

At first I was thinking about that sounds really stupid because that was what 2014s show was about.

HOWEVER upon thinking on it, 2014 really only explored the moment right before that happens, and reflecting on ones life. So not really the same thing. 2015 was a celebration of living and being alive, or at least how I took it. It took me like 9 months but I feel like I finally understand the intention of the show and can actually see/hear it in what they did.

So death. If it's yet another continuation off the previous 2, and the previous areas explored have lead up to it, death seems to be the only option left. Unless they plan to give us a glimpse of the afterlife, which you could argue could fall under that category. Blue Knights returning to the dark realm? I don't think it'll be anything like their dark and brooding 2006, 2007 type shows if that is the route they take. I could see that subject matter, paired with the incredibly organic and hugely emotional tone of what they have done, and that could be potentially a heart ripping emotional explosion.

We'll see, I'd like to see them tackle that subject matter. If it is a continuation of the last two, I just hope they can keep it fresh. 2015 definitely seemed like a spiritual sequel to 2014. Don't want to see them fall in a rut like some corps did almost getting TOO tied to an identity (thinking Bluecoats 2009 - 2012). Not really worried necessarily, just interested in how they would do that.

• Like 4

Also makes me think back to LD Bells EPIC 2005 - 2007 trilogy in BOA. I would kill to see something as dark, dreary, foreboding, dismal, and downright depressing as 2006s "The Remaining" in DCI. Think the subject matter was akin to everybody left after 2005s "Ascension" is in a living hell. That's some fun stuff. :music:

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

From what I've heard, like last year this show is continuing off themes of the past 2 shows. Their show is supposedly about death. VERY dark

While I haven't heard anything about the theme or focus of this year's show, I have heard a couple songs from the show...one of which is a work in progress. I'm not so sure the two pieces I heard could be considered "dark", though. One piece, in particular, could best be described as "majestic" or "ultimately uplifting".

In any case, BK has a reputation for tightly integrating their music, drill, percussion and guard into a total package. While they may not always execute it all with the highest quality, no one part can ever stand on its own. I'm content to wait till I see the total package when it'll be clear what the theme of the show is all about.

Oh good. It doesn't look like we'll have any other dark shows this year haha. Don't get me wrong, I love dark shows, but sometimes I want some FUN! Where are the Sharks????

Speaking of which, two different marching bands at last year's BoA Grand Nationals made extensive use of Dylan Thomas's poem, "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" (1948).

"Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

The Blue Knights Percussion Ensemble actually used that in 2013.

Oh, good -- they're finally doing the Blucifer show this year.

Just in time for April Foo...

Er...uh... Don't mind me, I know nothing. :-P

So was there intentionality in having the 2014 and 2015 shows pull from the same source at the end of the movie "American Beauty?" And, will this continue into the show for 2016? Maybe this has been discussed, and I am just late to the party, but just wondering.

Edited by ibexpercussion

So was there intentionality in having the 2014 and 2015 shows pull from the same source at the end of the movie "American Beauty?" And, will this continue into the show for 2016? Maybe this has been discussed, and I am just late to the party, but just wondering.

The answer to your first question is, yes. The 2015 show was intended to be a direct sequel to the 2014 show.

The answer to your second question is, I don't know. BK hasn't announced the theme or the musical selections for 2016.

However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take their overarching theme of "life" to the next level and make 2016 a direct sequel to the other two.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome book this year. The brass line is on FIRE. I seriously believe that this is the show that will break them into the top 3