trombones and french horns

the angst over the marching band instruments being utilized in DCI Corps bands is no longer present, imo. The long time fans, alums, that might be saddened or angered by it or whatever, have already left going to shows. Even the next step of adding the flutes, clarinets and so forth, won't really bring the outcry from the remaining followers of these DCI units, imo. So this assessment that they'll be any more outcry in any remaining quarters that DCI is now full fledged summer marching bands with trombones, french horns, fiutes and clarinets, etc won't really need any Hitler hand wringing and that silliness. The marching band community won the war. It wasn't even a hostile takeover, imo. It was done willingly for the most part. The white flag was put up long ago, imo. So we've moved past this now and we can enjoy these musical/ visual marching ensembles for what they are. Summer Marching Bands. I really don't see anybody that goes to these shows or follows the activity that is angered that the trombones, french horns and the like have been added to the DCI summer bands. There are tens of thousands out there that marched or followed the activity for years and years that might still be angered or saddened. But they don't follow DCI, or come here, or go to the shows anymore. So they are out of sight, out of mind. They just #####andmoan about the loss of the activity amongst themselves whenever they get together occasionally at yearly reunions and such and the topic comes up. So they won't even read or see a hitler like cartoon that could be created for this...... nor care about that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yea I think it doesn't matter as long as the quality remains. I saw trombones and thought they sounded great but hope they don't march them...Well, They are and it's not the end of the world. cadets french horns were great last year. Here's to the future.

Trombones add power and a timbre that is very unique from baris and euphs. SCV's opening hit blew my face off and it even comes through on the recording. I personally find them to be a very welcome addition to DCI. Cadets didn't do too bad with the French horns either, though I don't think the sound fits too well in a marching setting but that's just my opinion

• Like 1

This. Plus, high school band circuits have long since been influenced by the trends in DCI. Now it just happens to work both ways as well, with influence (read: staff) crossing over from BOA and WGI circuits. It makes sense as the next step in the natural evolution of the activity. Simply put: if drum corps existed today in the same form as it did 30 years ago, it would be long dead - as it wouldn't have the same interest to modern audiences. All of these changes have been for the good, as evidenced by growing numbers of auditionees across all corps + growing audiences at every show each year. There's not even an argument to be had!

Drum & Bugle Corps did die however. ( when more marched, when more fans nationally went to shows, and the Regionals and then the Championships were on TV for thousands more to watch and so forth ) I just can't give you the precise date and time of the death of the competitive Junior Drum & Bugle Corps, nor even suggest we need a proper autopsy..., as whats the point, the only people that would care about a proper autopsy are no longer around to come to the Wake, nor the Funeral . They are either dead themselves, or they no longer follow DCI. That said, I do enjoy these DCI summer Marching Bands, and do like the variety we find among them. Just like I can enjoy the myraid of College Marching Bands too. Everything from the Texas A & M Marching Band, to the Ohio State Marching Band, to the Virginia Tech Marching Band, to the Grambling Marching Band, and on and on. I do recognize that the DCI summer Marching Bands can be somewhat different too than some of these others. And variety among Marching Bands is a good thing, imo. I enjoy most Marching Bands as matter of fact or I would not be found still following them. My Dad marched in one. He played a drum and also the clarinet.

Edited by BRASSO

all these posts just prove that my original assertion was correct.

we need another hitler video -- urgently.

Well, if you've got such of an urge, the interest, etc, yourself for one, don't wait around " urgently " for someone else to create one, corpsband. just create another Hitler video yourself. It could be a fun exercise for hundreds to chuckle at the perceived loss of tens of thousands of former marchers, fans of DCI. . So go ahead... knock yourself out creating one. Almost all of these former fans and alums of DCI will never see it anyway, as I said above. On the other hand, it could be a clever inside joke for us here to yuk it up among ourselves, if done well. So go for it, Corpsband ... without delay. Besides, most of the previous Hitler video creations were funny as hell, and I see no reason you couldn't create a funny one yourself for us, if you put your creative mind to it.

Edited by BRASSO

the only people that would care about a proper autopsy are no longer around to come to the Wake, nor the Funeral . They are either dead themselves, or they no longer follow DCI. Not

Not all of us are "dead" or "no longer follow DCI" B, but when the directors eventually allow woodwinds, that's when my DCP interests ( and watching the demise of Drum and Bugle Corps.) come home to roost, and I'll wish all an adieu.