trombones and french horns

You will enjoy Jackson Academy' [LA] excellent band then!! The entire marching winds have played both brass & woodwinds. A perennial BOA unit that out performs units 10X it's size.

Alabama, but yes. Phenomenal program. If you're into marching excellence, they're one of the best bands in the southeast, especially for their size. Robert W. Smith's wife is the band director and he has a significant influence on their show design.

Alabama, but yes. Phenomenal program. If you're into marching excellence, they're one of the best bands in the southeast, especially for their size. Robert W. Smith's wife is the band director and he has a significant influence on their show design.

I thought it was Jackson Academy from Jackson, Mississippi.

Yup... http://jacksonacademy.org/arts-and-music/band/ensembles/

band-marching.jpg

The Jackson Academy Marching Band has a long tradition of innovation and excellence. The band’s first appearance on the national scene was in 1990 at the Bands of America regional competition at the University of Southern Mississippi. They earned the Novice Award for the highest scoring band appearing for the first time in a BOA event. Since then, the JA Marching Band has appeared at BOA events held in the Georgia Dome (Atlanta), the Edward R. Jones Dome (St. Louis), the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) and the Alamo Dome (San Antonio) as well as Regionals in Johnson City, Tennessee, and the University of Southern Mississippi. The band is a 13-time BOA Regional Class A Champion and two-time BOA Grand National Class A Champion. It remains one of only two Class A bands to be named a National Finalist.

The JA Marching Band is open to students in grades 7-12 and has on occasion allowed the participation of exceptional sixth grade students. The marching season lasts from late summer to early November, during which the band adheres to a regular rehearsal schedule that requires a minimum of the students’ time with maximum effort. This is accomplished through carefully structured rehearsals and a strong commitment from staff and students to “get it done and go home”.

Each year the entire marching band attends a two week band camp, before school begins. This camp is held in an air conditioned gym on the campus of JA. It lasts from 8-5 daily, and it is vital that all members attend, as the entire competitive program is taught during this time. The camp finishes with a performance of the entire program for the parents and friends.

In addition to local and national band competitions, the marching band season involves performances at football games and pep rallies. The JA Marching Band prides itself on supporting and helping create the school spirit which is such a vital part of student life at Jackson Academy.

For information about upcoming JA Marching Band performances and activities, please visit the JA Band Blog.

Edited by jjeffeory

I thought it was Jackson Academy from Jackson, Mississippi.

Yup... http://jacksonacademy.org/arts-and-music/band/ensembles/

band-marching.jpg

The Jackson Academy Marching Band has a long tradition of innovation and excellence. The band’s first appearance on the national scene was in 1990 at the Bands of America regional competition at the University of Southern Mississippi. They earned the Novice Award for the highest scoring band appearing for the first time in a BOA event. Since then, the JA Marching Band has appeared at BOA events held in the Georgia Dome (Atlanta), the Edward R. Jones Dome (St. Louis), the RCA Dome and Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) and the Alamo Dome (San Antonio) as well as Regionals in Johnson City, Tennessee, and the University of Southern Mississippi. The band is a 13-time BOA Regional Class A Champion and two-time BOA Grand National Class A Champion. It remains one of only two Class A bands to be named a National Finalist.

The JA Marching Band is open to students in grades 7-12 and has on occasion allowed the participation of exceptional sixth grade students. The marching season lasts from late summer to early November, during which the band adheres to a regular rehearsal schedule that requires a minimum of the students’ time with maximum effort. This is accomplished through carefully structured rehearsals and a strong commitment from staff and students to “get it done and go home”.

Each year the entire marching band attends a two week band camp, before school begins. This camp is held in an air conditioned gym on the campus of JA. It lasts from 8-5 daily, and it is vital that all members attend, as the entire competitive program is taught during this time. The camp finishes with a performance of the entire program for the parents and friends.

In addition to local and national band competitions, the marching band season involves performances at football games and pep rallies. The JA Marching Band prides itself on supporting and helping create the school spirit which is such a vital part of student life at Jackson Academy.

For information about upcoming JA Marching Band performances and activities, please visit the JA Band Blog.

Yep, my bad!

Yep, my bad!

No worries! It seems there are quite a few Jackson Academies in the Southern States and they all seem to have decent programs.

I think it's safe to say that this is no longer a drum and bugle corp activity. With the addition of trombones and french horns, this has definitely moved the activity to a full fledge band troupe. By next year this time, woodwinds and maybe guitars will probably be added to complete the process.

As for the drum side, cymbal lines and drum solos are slowly being phased out. And there is some thought of downsizing the drumline to be incorporated into the pit. About the only thing linking the groups to drum corp are the historical names.

But all good things do not come to an end.The flame is still lit (however small) because there is still a minority of people who truly believes that drum and bugle corp will make it back to the main stream and touch our youth as it once did in the past.

I think it's safe to say that this is no longer a drum and bugle corp activity. With the addition of trombones and french horns, this has definitely moved the activity to a full fledge band troupe.

Oh., Oh... this now could trigger the Nuclear Option from the Other Side. Everybody duck and cover !...... Quick!.....I hear an Incoming !!!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

now this was creative and pretty funny. I applaud you Brasso...lol

I'll have you know that when I come onto the computer to post and read here, I wear a 15th Century Warriors full head to toe armour.... with eye slits to see, and mouth slits to breathe. I can barely move. My wife helps me stand and sit at the computer. But by Gawd, I am ready for anything that anyone throws at me on here.

• Like 1