DCI Field Pass Podcast 2016 Preview

In case anyone's interested, Part 1 of Dan Potter's annual conversation with Michael Cesario about the upcoming DCI season has been released.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211016804

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Still don't understand why they can't go back to putting the podcast on iTunes so we can listen. It's a podcast and I should be able to listen using the podcast app. I don't want to go to the website that was a mess of a site and not mobile friendly.

• Like 1

Still don't understand why they can't go back to putting the podcast on iTunes so we can listen. It's a podcast and I should be able to listen using the podcast app. I don't want to go to the website that was a mess of a site and not mobile friendly.

It's very mobile friendly, what are you talking about? I was able to very easily long press on the SoundCloud link and open this podcast up on the SoundCloud app. It functions the exact same as using the Podcasts app.

It's still not a podcast, and they should quit calling it one.

A podcast has an RSS feed with an audio file attachment that can be downloaded. This is not a hard technology to learn, but apparently DCI can't figure it out.

This is just a (horrible) website with a not very good imbedded audio player, covered in crappy ads that have nothing to do with Drum Corps. (Or, if you're using an AdBlocker, a message about how much better DCI.ORG looks covered in crappy ads.)

Pathetic.

• Like 3

It's still not a podcast, and they should quit calling it one.

A podcast has an RSS feed with an audio file attachment that can be downloaded. This is not a hard technology to learn, but apparently DCI can't figure it out.

This is just a (horrible) website with a not very good imbedded audio player, covered in crappy ads that have nothing to do with Drum Corps. (Or, if you're using an AdBlocker, a message about how much better DCI.ORG looks covered in crappy ads.)

Pathetic.

The hate over DCI's website confuses me. Soundcloud is a very capable music player that is very widely used. It is the premier place for new artists to share their music and get discovered and can easily be embedded into websites and blogs.

Just because a song is in the flac format rather than mp3 doesn't make it any less a song. By the way, if you actually looked properly, the audio file for this podcast can be downloaded from the link provided in this post.

Feel like he was grasping at straws with some and genuinely excited about others. We shall see. Glad to hear some non finalist shout outs, seemed excited by The Acadmy in particular.

From what I recall, he sounds really excited about Academy, Troopers, Blue Stars, Madison, and Cavaliers.

The hate over DCI's website confuses me. Soundcloud is a very capable music player that is very widely used. It is the premier place for new artists to share their music and get discovered and can easily be embedded into websites and blogs.

Just because a song is in the flac format rather than mp3 doesn't make it any less a song. By the way, if you actually looked properly, the audio file for this podcast can be downloaded from the link provided in this post.

It's not about the fact that it's an audio file. (Or that dci.org website is a dumpster fire, really).

It's the fact that podcast is a word that means something specific. Putting an audio file on the web is not a podcast. A podcast has to have an RSS feed with audio attachments. The entire reason that podcasts exist is so that they are easy to listen to because each episode is downloaded automatically by podcast players, whether that's Apple's Podcast app (the most popular), iTunes, 3rd party apps like Overcast (on iOS), Pocketcasts (on Android), etc.

For several years, that's EXACTLY what FieldPass was. You could subscribe in a podcast player and listen to each new episode when it came out.

When they stopped offering that feed, and just started throwing audio files on websites, it ceased to be a podcast. And, it ceased to be easy for people to listen to easily. That's why it's annoying.

• Like 4

It's not about the fact that it's an audio file. (Or that dci.org website is a dumpster fire, really).

It's the fact that podcast is a word that means something specific. Putting an audio file on the web is not a podcast. A podcast has to have an RSS feed with audio attachments. The entire reason that podcasts exist is so that they are easy to listen to because each episode is downloaded automatically by podcast players, whether that's Apple's Podcast app (the most popular), iTunes, 3rd party apps like Overcast (on iOS), Pocketcasts (on Android), etc.

For several years, that's EXACTLY what FieldPass was. You could subscribe in a podcast player and listen to each new episode when it came out.

When they stopped offering that feed, and just started throwing audio files on websites, it ceased to be a podcast. And, it ceased to be easy for people to listen to easily. That's why it's annoying.

100% agree, I stop listening to the Field Pass as soon as it disappeared from iTunes and my pocketcast app. By the way, its extremely easy to set up a rss feed via feedburner.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

won't be able to do part 2 because of my bloo.. :dry: