DCI Field Pass Podcast 2016 Preview

Truth be told, sometimes some people have trouble believing anything Cesario says is sincere if no check is involved and because he persistently speaks in superlatives. Many on DCP critique and complain if corps shows are all in the same tempo or emotion without modulation. He may have run his course for this next generation who imitate him quite well on the tour buses. Although a nice man, he may have become a characterure.

I am quite sure this has been going on for like 2 decades...

It's not about the fact that it's an audio file. (Or that dci.org website is a dumpster fire, really).

It's the fact that podcast is a word that means something specific. Putting an audio file on the web is not a podcast. A podcast has to have an RSS feed with audio attachments. The entire reason that podcasts exist is so that they are easy to listen to because each episode is downloaded automatically by podcast players, whether that's Apple's Podcast app (the most popular), iTunes, 3rd party apps like Overcast (on iOS), Pocketcasts (on Android), etc.

For several years, that's EXACTLY what FieldPass was. You could subscribe in a podcast player and listen to each new episode when it came out.

When they stopped offering that feed, and just started throwing audio files on websites, it ceased to be a podcast. And, it ceased to be easy for people to listen to easily. That's why it's annoying.

Agree 100%. A Podcast has built-in subscription software to make it easy to listen without having to visit a website and navigate through what is, quite frankly, a navigational train wreck. I do not want to have to visit that, or any, website to listen to a Podcast.

Watching the season preview broadcast at DCI.org via their embedded player was almost impossible to figure out. The subscription software in and of itself is archaic...at best. There is no telling how much money DCI costs itself by using that software system.

Edited by MikeRapp

Truth be told, sometimes some people have trouble believing anything Cesario says is sincere if no check is involved and because he persistently speaks in superlatives. Many on DCP critique and complain if corps shows are all in the same tempo or emotion without modulation. He may have run his course for this next generation who imitate him quite well on the tour buses. Although a nice man, he may have become a characterure.

I still learn from his insight into the creative process. For example, his take on what defines BK's brand, and his musings on Potter's question about corps trying to engage audiences, contained decent amounts of nutrition. But as an evaluator of specific corps shows, he is put in an impossible position. He is on the DCI payroll, after all; he is required to present each corps in its most favorable light. Sometimes you can feel him straining for the words. This is less a reflection of his ability or relevance to today's corps members, I think, than it is evidence that the whole premise of the season-preview idea is shaky. Anyone would have difficulty using words and audio to speak meaningfully for 2 minutes about the musical and visual aspects of a corps trying to put Shakespeare on the field --without having seen a minute of the show. The fact that it is Cesario, a man given to flamboyant language, lends a somewhat comic air. But hey, I listened to every minute. I'm as interested as the next fan about what all the corps are up to.

• Like 1

You should see what he's like without a microphone around.

Remember we overlapped time with Cadets as he spent a few years on Garfield's design staff back in the '80's and is a co-founder of Yea and Cadets Marching Band Co-operative, later renamed USSBA, now called USBands.

Part II is up.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree 100%. A Podcast has built-in subscription software to make it easy to listen without having to visit a website and navigate through what is, quite frankly, a navigational train wreck. I do not want to have to visit that, or any, website to listen to a Podcast.

Watching the season preview broadcast at DCI.org via their embedded player was almost impossible to figure out. The subscription software in and of itself is archaic...at best. There is no telling how much money DCI costs itself by using that software system.

Bump. As Hrothgar15 pointed out it is now a regular podcast again. Maybe DCI read this thread and finally fixed the problem. On my podcast player I now have Field Pass listed twice, once for the old version and one for the new. The new one has a slightly different logo - the grass background is blurry. Click on Add Old Episodes (or similar) to see everything back to where the old one left off approximately. Thanks DCI!

Also, don't forget the Marching Roundtable podcast, which is fantastic and includes actual debate from time to time. (Oooh!) Michael Cesario was on recently on there as well, episode 499.

I agree with those who say that as a DCI employee he has to upsell all the shows, even though my favorite quote of his, "Some of them are starting to get it." is probably more indicative of his actual opinion. In the battle of art vs. entertainment, I don't think he cares which you do as long as you put the effort into doing it well.

Here he is teaching a class at BOA:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Bump. As Hrothgar15 pointed out it is now a regular podcast again. Maybe DCI read this thread and finally fixed the problem. On my podcast player I now have Field Pass listed twice, once for the old version and one for the new. The new one has a slightly different logo - the grass background is blurry. Click on Add Old Episodes (or similar) to see everything back to where the old one left off approximately. Thanks DCI!

Also, don't forget the Marching Roundtable podcast, which is fantastic and includes actual debate from time to time. (Oooh!) Michael Cesario was on recently on there as well, episode 499.

I agree with those who say that as a DCI employee he has to upsell all the shows, even though my favorite quote of his, "Some of them are starting to get it." is probably more indicative of his actual opinion. In the battle of art vs. entertainment, I don't think he cares which you do as long as you put the effort into doing it well.

Here he is teaching a class at BOA:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I stopped episode 499 half way through. I tried to listen to this year's podcasts as well but I stopped. I wish Cesario would just state what he really thinks but he can't and that makes listening kind of pointless. Between the uniform design job and the DCI role I'm more inclined to take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Edited by Fish

I stopped episode 499 half way through. I tried to listen to this year's podcasts as well but I stopped. I wish Cesario would just state what he really thinks but he can't and that makes listening kind of pointless. Between the uniform design job and the DCI role I'm more inclined to take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Maybe they hired him to silence him ... excuse me I've got to go get my tinfoil hat.