Why aren't woodwinds allowed in DCI?

Thought experiment: say you bring someone who has never seen drum corps before to the theater showing tonight, but is somewhat musically inclined. They enjoy the performances, but they're puzzled when you tell them there are rules against featuring woodwinds for the solos (amped, as they always are nowadays), or even marched for parts of the show as trombones now are. They want to know the reasoning. How do you justify that decision to them, given everything else about modern drum corps?

Edited by Hrothgar15

also, from my experience, most people don't know the difference between brass and woodwinds. i'm not exaggerating or trying to be funny. it's all marching band to the general public. you could probably call a trumpet a basset horn in the middle of a show, and they'd just nod vapidly.

Good opportunity to explain to them the true history of DRUM and BUGLE corps!

• Like 3

Because. Simply...because. And even as a long-time band director, that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Because when you put every ingredient into every pot, every item on the menu tastes the same.

Some people participate in string quartets. That's fabulous.

Some people sing opera. Wonderful.

Some people join wind orchestras. Bravo.

Some people go to barbershop quartet conventions. Whatever floats your boat.

And some people join drum and bugle corps. Vive la difference

It is its own art form. It is not missing any elements. It has the elements it wants. And those elements create something unique in the world.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 9

Thought experiment: say you bring someone who has never seen drum corps before to the theater showing tonight, but is somewhat musically inclined. They enjoy the performances, but they're puzzled when you tell them there are rules against featuring woodwinds for the solos (amped, as they always are nowadays), or even marched for parts of the show as trombones now are. They want to know the reasoning. How do you justify that decision to them, given everything else about modern drum corps?

I have been anti-woodwind for the last 25 or more years...but you know what after all this other crap that has been allowed in the last several years....I say crap because IMO the purity of the artform is forever lost...especially since things are no longer acoustic...and I'm not a cranky old dino either...I still go to shows and buy souvies and enjoy drumcorps every summer....I've just gotten to a point where I'm just tired of this artifical line I've drawn in the sand against them..

Bring them on!

• Like 2

Bring them on!

Oh, you deceitful TRAITOR!!!! :silly::smile:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2