Why aren't woodwinds allowed in DCI?

Question: if some corps, some year, were to choose to do an all-Scottish inspired show...would bagpipes be allowed? (I was going to say an "all-Scotch" inspired show....but we'd be talking about two entirely different matters, wouldn't we??)

I think not. Bagpipes are sounded by air passing through reeds and thus are woodwinds.

I think not. Bagpipes are sounded by air passing through reeds and thus are woodwinds.

I thought it was a cat in the bag. Oh, well....

(I'm actually a big fan of pipe bands -- apparently one of the few this side of the pond.)

• Like 1

I am a clarinetist.... I do not want woodwinds in DCI. Yes, I did pick the wrong instrument

I like the sound of the clarinetist on his or her clarinet better than the sound of many of the sound machines.

I have no clue why DCI currently discriminates against the musical sound of the clarinet, yet allows the annoying sounds of the loud goo machines, that we should all be able to agree on here, are completely artificial in nature.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I think, as long last the majority of the shows are outdoors, WWs will be held out of the activity. Simply because the instruments would really take a beating. Sweat, rain, sunscreen... all the stuff that can be washed off of brasses, would likely be not cost effective to WWs for the little return. I don't think them being mic'd in the pit is far off. Sort of like when we saw flugels used in the early 00s.

I think, as long last the majority of the shows are outdoors, WWs will be held out of the activity. Simply because the instruments would really take a beating. Sweat, rain, sunscreen... all the stuff that can be washed off of brasses, would likely be not cost effective to WWs for the little return. I don't think them being mic'd in the pit is far off. Sort of like when we saw flugels used in the early 00s.

Drum & Bugle Corps went for decades without the contra bass bugle ( came in around 1960, 1961 with a few Corps ). We were told the addition of them would be too costly to purchase, maintain, keep clean, replace and so forth. Today we have Corps with 16 tubas ( costly to buy, maintain, keep clean, replace, and so forth ), but we are told a " flute".. or " piccolo"... etc apparently cost more than a " tuba " to purchase, maintain, keep clean, replace, and yada yada. Don't believe it. The woodwinds... as they should be.... will be added to the DCI instrument arsensal, just as the tuba was, as are all the other musical instruments. Anybody that thinks the woodwinds are not coming in to the field competition in DCI are really only just kidding themselves here, imo. The ratiiale of... 'it costs too much " is silly. When has " the cost " kept the previous expensive things we see on the current field, out of DCI field competition ? ( haha!). Yes, I know,.. " the cost " factor has never been a problem before, and it sure as heck won't be when the woodwinds come in either. Heck, the woodwinds are already in DCI. The camel already has his nose under the tent.

Edited by BRASSO

I thought it was a cat in the bag. Oh, well....

(I'm actually a big fan of pipe bands -- apparently one of the few this side of the pond.)

My dad is probably going to be playing bagpipes at my uncle's funeral next week. He was telling me how he needs to prepare a mixture of honey and olive oil to "season" the bag.

Drum & Bugle Corps went for decades without the contra bass bugle ( came in around 1960, 1961 with a few Corps ). We were told the addition of them would be too costly to purchase, maintain, keep clean, replace and so forth. Today we have Corps with 16 tubas ( costly to buy, maintain, keep clean, replace, and so forth ), but we are told a " flute".. or " piccolo"... etc apparently cost more than a " tuba " to purchase, maintain, keep clean, replace, and yada yada. Don't believe it. The woodwinds... as they should be.... will be added to the DCI instrument arsensal, just as the tuba was, as are all the other musical instruments. Anybody that thinks the woodwinds are not coming in to the field competition in DCI are really only just kidding themselves here, imo. The ratiiale of... 'it costs too much " is silly. When has " the cost " kept the previous expensive things we see on the current field, out of DCI field competition ? ( haha!). Yes, I know,.. " the cost " factor has never been a problem before, and it sure as heck won't be when the woodwinds come in either. Heck, the woodwinds are already in DCI. The camel already has his nose under the tent.

i play clarinet.

plastic clarinets sound like ####, and they're the only practical instruments that could be used for a full time marching member. the instrument maintenance for a line of plastic clarinets in dci would require a full time tech who would be busy every minute of every day with pads, springs, and keys. i'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

and the instruments would still sound awful because they're plastic.

make them all wood, and the costs per instrument triple or more, and the cost would be astronomical for maintenance. even with excellent care, all of the pinning of inevitable cracks would only extend their playability to maybe 4-5 months on the field.

i guarantee that even the top HS bands in competition are marching a bunch of messed up clarinets at any given time. but nobody notices because you can't hear the ####### things anyway.

as a featured instrument, they'd be fine.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

As mic'd solo instruments, sure, there's nothing stopping it other than history, tradition and the name of the freakin' activity. Assuming you don't care about those, a rule change could make it through one of these years.

To field woodwind sections, you'd need to massively expand corps size because I guarantee you nobody is going choose to cut brass spots in favor of an inaudible clarinet section.

• Like 1

I have been anti-woodwind for the last 25 or more years...but you know what after all this other crap that has been allowed in the last several years....I say crap because IMO the purity of the artform is forever lost...especially since things are no longer acoustic...and I'm not a cranky old dino either...I still go to shows and buy souvies and enjoy drumcorps every summer....I've just gotten to a point where I'm just tired of this artifical line I've drawn in the sand against them..

Bring them on!

Here! Here!

i play clarinet.

plastic clarinets sound like ####, and they're the only practical instruments that could be used for a full time marching member. the instrument maintenance for a line of plastic clarinets in dci would require a full time tech who would be busy every minute of every day with pads, springs, and keys. i'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

and the instruments would still sound awful because they're plastic.

make them all wood, and the costs per instrument triple or more, and the cost would be astronomical for maintenance. even with excellent care, all of the pinning of inevitable cracks would only extend their playability to maybe 4-5 months on the field.

i guarantee that even the top HS bands in competition are marching a bunch of messed up clarinets at any given time. but nobody notices because you can't hear the ####### things anyway.

as a featured instrument, they'd be fine.

I played Clarinet in high school in 07. Could definitely hear me on the state video. If you know how to play and project, then you can make your sound reach the box.