3 Golds Enough?

I am just waiting for CC to pull a blast move. lol

I actually think it would be BD first. They have such a large and successful list of programs, and having a professional performing ensemble on stage and touring nationally would seem a natural progression for their brand. And I could see them sustaining their DCI presence along with it.

Edited by TerriTroop

Come to think of it... didn't we try this before...

I remember sitting in the stands at College Park Maryland... emersed in the thunderous chant of "NO MORE TIES".

The people have spoken.

"Gold with distinction" Is that like, "super first place" ?

It's like fingernails on a chalkboard every time I hear it... and it's even worse to see it in print.

Essentially it is a rating, not a placement. But it's the inflation of terms in order to get more groups to have a wall-worthy certificate that bugs me.

Inflating one's quality of work is a violation of one's humanity.

So if mom were Fred and Dash was in BD....

Helen: Dashiell Robert Parr, you are an incredibly competitive boy, and a bit of a show-off. The last thing you need is temptation.

Dash: You always say 'Do your best', but you don't really mean it. Why can't I do the best that I can do?

Helen: Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we gotta be like everyone else.

Dash: But Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of, our powers made us special.

Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.

Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

Despite putting up the post, I am in no way in favor of more than ONE Gold per division !

Actually, I have heard the idea of a different system of awards . . . often! I think it comes down to an individual's personal sadness in only having just one ultimate winner. Looking at a year like this, and even the past season, the top 3-5 corps are "virtually" equal to the general audience. But, as many posters have said, actual scores are much more motivating and interesting than the same prize for certain tiers of corps. I concur. For fans . . . . even better with FULL recaps all season.

Here's my expectation for 2016 Finals. With specific scores !

Carolina Crown 98.5

Bluecoats 98.2

Blue Devils 97.7

(3 Predictions Enough)

That's what makes years like this so exciting, it can come down to the last performance. If we just gave out gold medals, the competition would die. In the game of dci, you win or you die (eventually, without a gold medal from that year)

So the only problem I do actually have with the current system is that it comes down to one performance. The performers are all taught to think of Finals as just another show, but it sucks that an entire season of dominance can be forgotten by one single performance (I'm looking at you 2008). The only thing I truly think would be a fair change is to average scores from Prelims, Semis and Finals to determine final placement. Makes it come down to the final week, and jumps can still happen.

• Like 2

Lots of arts adjudication (not just band or music - think painting contests and the like) rewards levels of excellence. Judges award multiple "superior", "excellent", "good" prizes as they see fit. It's not any kind of a new idea.

Presumably if the DCI corps had any interest in using this approach, they'd have done it sometime in the last 44 years.

I agree. I wouldn't mind having such a system in place for DCI, but clearly they don't want it.

OTOH, I also would prefer a simple ranking system rather than rating.

Mike

So the only problem I do actually have with the current system is that it comes down to one performance. The performers are all taught to think of Finals as just another show, but it sucks that an entire season of dominance can be forgotten by one single performance (I'm looking at you 2008). The only thing I truly think would be a fair change is to average scores from Prelims, Semis and Finals to determine final placement. Makes it come down to the final week, and jumps can still happen.

The only problem with this is that corps progress differently, some surge, some decline ( yes even at the top ) to average a score to find a champion truly imo takes away from those on a continual upward momentum. A corps could for whatever reason start to slip at the end and would not be the true champion on finals night nor be the best corps. jmo

Yes it sucks to lose it after a win all season BUT that's competition, sting as it may.

Lots of arts adjudication (not just band or music - think painting contests and the like) rewards levels of excellence. Judges award multiple "superior", "excellent", "good" prizes as they see fit. It's not any kind of a new idea.

Presumably if the DCI corps had any interest in using this approach, they'd have done it sometime in the last 44 years.

Ive judged under that system actually several systems, This system imo tells one absolutely nothing. It's a " everyone get a good mark to go back and pretend they may have been the best.. . jmo

I do think painting contest's are a bit different . With those, at least that I personally have been involved with presented 3 awards not the whole pack of participants. They just get a thanks for coming certificate..lol