Next year's tour

Can someone perhaps give some insight into how DCI is likely to organize next year's tour as it relates to who performs with whom?

This year, we had a ton of shows that featured both Bluecoats and Cadets. Crown seemed to be a bit of an outlier, often being the sole top tier corps on a show. Of course, BD and SCV often appeared together, I would assume due to geography.

Based on the results of Finals, should we expect to see a different "mix" next year?

Who decides what corps will be coming west? What if Crown and Coats and Cadets all wanted to make the hajj over to the west coast for tour? I only ever see one group at a time make an appearance

The tour is a joint consideration among the corps and DCI. The show locations are being determined now and, once done, the corps will determine who is going where based on where corps want to tour. Who goes west is determined by DCI with negotiation with major corps. DCI won't ask Surf to go west, and they won't expect BD to go east, early season.

The only thing that is determined ahead of time is the regionals and finals dates and locations. Everything else, at this point, is flexible and arbitrary until the TEP's commit to hosting a show. Then DCI can start the process and involve the corps in the tour decisions.

Edited by garfield

Well for a base, they keep the schedule fairly consistent now. Right? So we will have the tour premier, 2 weeks, the first split regional, SA, Atlanta, Allentown, then finals.

We have the same shows inbetween, unless the show defuncts or moves locations. That's the correct assumption right?

Based on their finish in 2016, should we assume Cavaliers will be on sections of either the east or west coast runs as a de facto headliner?

The Cavaliers have hosted a pair of Chicago area shows for several years. One at Michigan City and one in Lisle. Usually around July 4, but sometimes a week earlier or later.

While you may borrow the Green Machine for perhaps one season, we want them back the year after. Deal?

Edited by DeanInChicago

The Cavaliers have hosted a pair of Chicago area shows for several years. One at Michigan City and one in Lisle. Usually around July 4, but sometimes a week earlier or later.

While you may borrow the Green Machine for perhaps one season, we want them back the year after. Deal?

Well, Chicago is obviously a hometown show for them. I'm wondering if DC I will send them west this year to tour with blue Devils and Academy. I'd personally like to see a bit more variety in terms of who performs with whom. It seems as if Crown sort of went through much of the first two thirds of the season having performed relatively few shows head to head with the other top four or five corps. Same with BD.

Would make a lot of sense to have Crown go west and do the entire run with BD and SCV.

Edited by MikeRapp

Talking like DCP understands who should go west (for example) seems rather presumptuous.

Garfield had a nice post regarding the factors that go into scheduling. Most of which is defined by details that we are unaware of. In the Go West example: Who can better afford it? Can it fit in the current budget and do they have time to fund it? How does it impact their local/community requirements (home shows, annual review, etc)?

In terms of overall tour matchups, there are good opportunities in terms of distance and logistics on when to splinter groups off of one tour segment and start or join another. I doubt most corps want to significantly up their budgets just to hop further out for the sake of having more variety throughout the week.

Edited by mingusmonk