Taking care of your body

Does anyone have any suggestions on good shoes to rehearse in for the summer? I'm a tenor drummer so putting the extra weight on my ankles for 10+ hours a day really takes its toll on my legs. How have you guys found ways to preserve your body and get through tour? (Not limited to shoe suggestions)

New balance cross trainers. Made in US as well.

Try the 608 series or higher. If you can get to a New Balance company store, the quality is a bit better. stores.newbalance.com

928's are amazing!!!

Edited by xandandl

I have a feeling that a lot of answers you'll get will hinge on people's loyalty towards one particular brand, but anyway ...

- As someone who did DCI/DCA for many years as a euph/contra player, I usually stuck with Adidas, specifically anything that uses their "Bounce" style of outsoles, which are pretty much solid rubber and non-segmented. I've used Mana Bounce shoes for a while and they've been fantastic: very breathable, with comfortable yet solid outsole support.

They recently came out with "Alpha Bounce" shoes, which seem like fancier versions of the previous types.

- I've had tremendous luck as far as never having to deal with ankle issues, or any leg issues for that matter. Based on talking to members/instructors, the one -- albeit recent -- common thing is an apparent correlation between ankle injuries and minalmist running shoes. If you're carrying tenors, I'd say minimalist shoes are a definite non-starter.

This article attempts to explain what qualifies as a "minimalist" running shoe, but doesn't really list any examples. Basically: I would avoid anything super-lightweight with segmented outsoles ... or those stupid Vibram Five Fingers.

- If you can find a way to pack a cheap pair of "back up" shoes, do it. It helps to have an extra dry pair for those rainy days or for "swamp tour" in Mississippi or Louisiana.

- On that note: keep your shoes and feet dry. My second year in DCI, we had a very rainy stretch of days during spring training. I made the mistake of not having a back up pair of shoes and not paying attention to my feet. After a long day 3 of rehearsing out in the rain, I took my shoes off and immediately noticed that the bottoms of my bare feet were entirely white (called "Immersion foot" ... don't google image search it). I went on a Wal-Mart run and got an ultra-cheap $15 pair, letting my other ones dry out for a day. I made sure to get out of my shoes more frequently during meals, and eventually my skin returned to normal.

- When it comes to drum corps, flexibility > strength. As a bonus: before the season starts, don't be afraid to take classes that work on that (i.e. Yoga).

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

another vote for new balance... asics were also popular

also agree with the recommendation for cross trainers

edit: wear sunscreen! seriously.

I can't underscore this enough, particularly on cloudy or partly sunny days. Use a 45+

Maybe two seasons back one of the faculty at Blue Knights and at Colts told their skin cancer stories from not frequently re-applying sunscreen all over during outdoor practices.

My dbc story is similar. Eventually it cost me my nose after a five hour operation, follow-up plastic surgeries and several months of recuperation. That's not my only health hassle by far but it is one you can avoid. The more you perspire, the more you need to re-apply.

Don't fall prey to that false Tarzan macho mentality that you have to take your shirt off in practice. Spare yourself.

Edited by xandandl

I can't underscore this enough, particularly on cloudy or partly sunny days. Use a 45+

Maybe two seasons back one of the faculty at Blue Knights and at Colts told their skin cancer stories from not frequently re-applying sunscreen all over during outdoor practices.

My dbc story is similar. Eventually it cost me my nose after a five hour operation, follow-up plastic surgeries and several months of recuperation. That's not my only health hassle by far but it is one you can avoid. The more you perspire, the more you need to re-apply.

Don't fall prey to that false Tarzan macho mentality that you have to take your shirt off in practice. Spare yourself.

Dude... that is horrible. :( I worry about my 3 summers, I am very pale

Get the widest hat possible and convince your percussion mates to get the same type since some sections wear similar clothing. Do to rosacea, I wear this style that Costco in the St. George, UT area sells each Spring. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Protection-Zone-Adult-Unisex-Lightweight-Booney-Adjustable-Hat-100SPF-Olive/252609653216?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D6b784a99006643c29479d617568dc220%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D381639136485

Start exercising your legs.

• Like 1